Visitor Reviews - Woodside Ridge Caravan Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North East > Co Durham > Site Reviews

Woodside Ridge Caravan Park
Woodside Ridge
Town Kelloe
Durham
Co Durham   (Browse area)
DH6 4PJ

Open: March To January

Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <5 miles   Wifi Access
 Fishing <1 mile   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <1 mile   Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   Tennis
 Beach <10 miles   Watersports <10 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring <10 miles
 Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  Dog Walk

Reviews:  38 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Date of Visit: August 2018 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Kate Coleman 1 review from this member

We have just visited this site and was pleasantly surprised, the photos don't do it justice. Toilet block is immaculate in fact the whole site is maintained brilliantly. The owners are very friendly and helpful. Also another bonus is the local takeaways deliver. Parmos not great though (obviously too far from teesside lol) only negative thing is, I think 26 per night is a bit steep as it is a small site and not a great deal for the kids to do. Should only really charge the adults as part of the price not 2 year old and small children.

Date of Visit: July 2018 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Robert1962 2 reviews from this member

Great campsite. Really helpful owners. A fairly new site with loads of potential. Close to a fishing lake. Easily to get to off the a19 near peterlee. Loads of places to visit close by but we just chilled out and enjoyed the surroundings. As the time passed by the weekend went too quick, so we are already planning a return visit.

Date of Visit: June 2018 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Reliant 1 review from this member

My cousin and I camped here on our recent cycle trip and this really is a great site with lovely well-kept facilities. A special area has been made available for cycle-campers at the top of the site conveniently close to the loos and shower facilities ( being able to listen to music in the bathroom is a lovely touch!) The tent pitch even has a handy bike rack and the turf is good and easy to peg. I was even provided with an extension lead with which to charge my phone in the tent and the owner is kind and helpful. Everything is neatly laid out even with whitewashed stones indicating the entrance path to the loos for night time access. Thank-you for a comfortable stay and nice welcome!

Date of Visit: September 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: OscarBB 1 review from this member

What a little gem of a site. Last minute booking with our new tent and the owners were very accommodating. Very clean site, the facilities were immaculate. Large pitches which was great for us. I also have to comment on the other campers, very friendly, the children were so polite too, they all made friends very quickly and entertained themselves, it was lovely to see. This one is definitely a keeper

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Doncaster76 12 reviews from this member

2 night midweek stay in late August. Owner was very pleasant and helpful. Facilities well maintained and clean. The woodside walk was a great feature for dog owners like myself. For 38 for 2 adults for 2 nights including EHU, I think it is good value.

However, there are couple of negatives. Pitch on arrival had a nice dog poo in middle which I had to clean up - after reading another review on here before I came, I know this isn't an isolated incident. Maybe check the pitches when they are departed and enforce dog rules better?

Secondly why charge for a shower? 20p is not much but would just be easier to increase pitch fees by a small amount. Charging for showers in my opinion is unnecessary and outdated.

Lastly, during my stay with maximum 7 pitches occupied the limited number of toilets was fine (1 toilet, 1 urinal and 1 shower) - but I personally would not return to this site at a weekend or peak time. To be honest, I think it is site more suited to families - kids seemed to love playing in large field in middle with kids play area.

Location wise it was great for Durham, the coast and Stockton.

Date of Visit: June 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: JezTeesside 1 review from this member

A great little campsite, friendly owners, clean site and toilet/shower block. Has a small play area consisting of 2 swings, a slide and a climbing frame, enough to occupy a 6yr old and a 11yr old. Next to a small wood which has a marked walk around it and beyond the wood a fishing lake with day permits available from the campsite owner. Also a disused quarry now a nature reserve 20mins walk or 5mins drive away.

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: HighSlayer 7 reviews from this member

I almost didn't write this review as I noticed that all of the recent ones are 10/10 and I didn't want to spoil that, but looking back at older ones it doesn't seem that they have been taken into account on the score.

Firstly, the owner of the site is amazing, really friendly, helpful chap and a very nice man. The facilities on site are minimal but very clean and modern. There is 1 WC, 1 Urinal and 1 shower for the men and 2 WCs and 1 shower for the ladies. 2 sinks in each. During busy times I can imagine queues, I had to wait a couple of times for the WC. There is a covered sink adjacent to the facilities for washing up though the hot tap has to be constantly held down and has a slow flow rate so it takes a while to fill the sink. The water is just luke warm and on one occasion we had to supplement this with hot water from our kettle. The cold tap is a press down and water comes out for a bit then stops. Its a pity the hot isnt the same.

There is no shop on site but they do sell gas refills and the owner is very helpful in making sure he has stock. Waste disposal bins are at the site entrance which is the opposite end to the facilities.

My comments should be taken in context with personal tastes as I can see that this site is popular and a lot of people go there regularly. We chose the site as it is only a few minutes from my home, had great reviews and we wanted to test pitch a new tent as well as do some video reviews of it for the supplier

Firstly the pitch sizes are small for tents, but should be fine for most caravans. Our 6. 5m tent had to be guyed with short guys and even then the front ones were only inches from the road and the rear ones almost in the hedge. The ground is very stony and bent several of our pegs, but some of the stony bits are so stony that it was difficult to find anywhere to tap in a peg. The pitches are fairly level at the top end with a slight slope further down. Our pitch was quite bumpy and we struggled to get tables/chairs level

This was the first outing in a brand new tent and unfortunately we didn't notice that whoever was on the pitch previously had left a dog poo. This stained the canopy of a brand new tent and will not come off. I was really upset about this. I do understand that this is not the site's fault but that of an ignorant person who didn't clean up after themself. As I said, not the site's fault but a mar on our stay.

Once we were more or less set up the owner came along for a chat, payment and to get our personal details. As said before, he's a really nice guy and very helpful. His wife also is friendly and helpful.

The next issue also wasn't the site's fault. We were pitched in the middle of 2 other sets of people. Both were really nice but on one side we had a lady with an incredibly loud voice and a laugh which made you jump out of your skin. On the other side a nice couple who had brought their parrot camping. The parrot was outside all day and was very noisy. However come the evening and the parrot went inside, and the people on the other side went to bed. Looking back through the video we shot, most of it is spoiled by the parrot lol

Once night falls and things start to get silent the next problem is that there is a loud noise from (I think) some wind turbines close to the site. It kept me awake all night, both nights we were there. I think in a caravan you'd barely notice it and if you are a good/heavy sleeper then you might not notice. I'm a light sleeper and it was very intrusive.

Also, we just couldn't get it dark in the tent which didn't help with sleep. Around 2am I gave up and went outside. There was a streetlamp right above our tent, streetlamps around the site and 2 incredibly bright floodlights coming from the house and utility building. Between the lights and the noise it was like being on a warehouse lot or airport. You could see clearly from one end of the site to the other at night. Of course, some may feel that it is safer with lighting and certainly I wouldn't expect pitch black, it was just too bright for me. Perhaps if I'd slept I wouldn't have noticed. It was bright enough that you could barely see our solar lights though.

This site charges for the unit (10), then it charges per person (3 each), then it charges for EHU (3). So I was surprised to then hear that it also charges for the showers. Although mentioned as 'just' 20p this is for 3 minutes. Most people will take 6 or more. I have a bad back and take a little longer, though I usually turn the water off whilst soaping up. This would be 60p a go, times however many people you have (and have already paid for) so actually works out a nice little stealth tax at over 1 a day. This is one of my absolute pet hates for sites and my mistake for not reading their website more closely.

We were also plagued with insects during our visit but the people next to us said they'd stayed on the site before and not had this problem. I think it was probably just bad luck as we'd had a week of very wet weather followed by hot sunshine. Hopefully that was a one-off.

The site is quite open to wind. One side of the site is a large wooded area with very tall trees but the prevailing winds seem to come from the other side. Presumably the breezy location is why there is a small wind farm nearby.

The site charges for day visitors depending on how long they stay for, up to as much as they charge for a camper. 1 each up to 4 hours, 2 each up to 8 hours and 3 each over 8 hours.

The site has a sensible one way system around it and a 5mph limit. Most drivers on site respect this and are careful. The pitches are mostly around the outside of this road with the large central area being for playing (there is a small pay area for children too which looked good) and presumably for non-electric pitches when the site is busy.

The owner told us we could park anywhere opposite our tent which was handy, though a while later a lady told us and those next to us we had to point the cars in a certain way on the almost empty field. This lady I think was one of the site employees and whilst very nice and friendly she was perhaps a little intrusive. It was difficult to get much privacy being only a couple of feet from the road.

On the night before our departure and also whilst packing down we had some light rain, enough to worry about the tent. The owners very kindly offered to let us move the tent onto the field (they had another unit due onto our pitch) and come back later for it. I decided to take the tent and re-pitch it at home rather than make the journey back but that was a very nice offer from them, and much appreciated.

As I said, this is my personal opinion. It is a nice site with a very friendly and helpful owner. It is well maintained and the facilities are immaculate. If you don't have too big a unit, are a good sleeper and don't mind the bright lighting or paying extra for showers then it is well worth the visit. I really wanted to love Woodside Ridge as it is so close to my home but to be fair, think that it is over rated and a little overpriced once you add it all up for a very basic site.

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Evojohn 1 review from this member

Superb facilities, friendly owners and helpful warden, pitches a generous size a lot of thought has gone into the use of tree's and bushes for screening of individual pitches. We had a thoroughly pleasant stay and would recommend it to anyone.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Hydraulichouse1896 1 review from this member

We would like to say what a lovely time myself my husband and my mother inlaw had when we came for a few days. It was mums first camping break and she was very impressed as we were with your site and friendly welcome. Our two dogs had a happy time on their walks.

Many thanks and will see you next year.

Margaret, Mark and Doris.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Merlin1955 6 reviews from this member

Booked a week here purely on the location and ten star rating. Not our usual type of site but what a wonderful surprise it turned out to be. Lovely, quiet, well maintained, clean little site. Easy to get to with large pitches around the rally/playing field. Facilities were spotless with clean hand towels everyday. Small play area with bicycles for children to use that can be watched from most of the pitches. Graham and Tina were excellent hosts and available most of the day to assist and answer questions about the area. We had such an enjoyable week we booked for a further 3 days but when packing up to leave we discovered the jockey wheel was flat. Graham came to the rescue with a puncture outfit to get us going, which has never happened before, so I consider this to be above the call of duty, thank you Graham. All in all a superb 10 day break in a lovely area with lovely people. We will be back.

Previous     38 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Save to Virtual Brochure  Add this Site to your Virtual Brochure                                Share  Google Plus  Email Link  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

Other sites within 10 miles   -    All Sites in Co Durham   -   Search for a site

Three sets of AutoSock Car Snow Socks to be won Win a Weeks Holiday at Stafford Moor Fishery

UKCS Meet Caravan, Camping & Motorhome Show 19th to 24th Feb, NEC
See the latest ranges of motorhomes, caravans, holiday homes, tents, awnings and accessories ...more