Reviews of Bay View Farm Caravan & Camping Park

Campsite Search > UK > England > South West > Devon (North) > Croyde > Bay View Farm Caravan & Camping Park Reviews

Bay View Farm Caravan & Camping Park
Croyde Bay
Croyde
Devon (North)   (Browse area)
EX33 1PN

Open: Easter - Mid October

Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 No Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point
 Shop On Site   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Fishing <1 mile   Wild Swimming <1 mile   Indoor Pool <1 mile   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <1 mile   Cycle Hire <5 miles   Golf <5 miles   Tennis <1 mile
 Beach <1 mile   Watersports <1 mile   Boat Launch / Mooring <10 miles
 Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Not Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport On Site  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  67 in total, now showing 51 to 60                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7

Our site is open and we are taking bookings , please be assured you can book with confidence. Our toilets are Open. Our showers are Open. Other communal areas may be restricted - please check with us for more information

To enquire about a booking or for more information please contact us

Reviewer: Sue37 4 reviews from this member

If you want to wake up to the smell of freshly baked bagettes and croissants, to be able to walk easily to the beach in just your wetsuit (to a fantastic sandy beach with excellent surf), have facilities to wash out your wetsuit on return, then relax outside your tent overlooking the sea watching the sun go down then this is the site for you.  toliets and showers were clean and queues were few and far between.  The kids play ground is superbly hidden at the top of the fields under the trees, (maybe the last reviewers didn't see it!).

There are rules which can be frustrating at times (cheques or cash, no cards, no pre booking unless sat - sat, no less than 3 nights despite site being under occupied (didn't understand that one!) ice packs could only be collected between 9 and 11 am. And strictly families and couples only. But this all was soon forgotten and we had a fab time here and plan to return again next year.

Reviewer: Debbiedeeley 5 reviews from this member

We arrived on site mid morning, lovely view of the sea on the coast road as we drove into Croyde.
Booking in was very quick and organised.
We were in field B which was partly sloped, nice play area at the back.
Pitches are in rows, close together and our large tent only just fitted on. Site was quite busy but other campers very friendly and it wasn't noisy.
Staff were very helpful and friendly. Fish and chip shop on site, and pizza shop which we found quite expensive but very nice.
Facilities were very good, lots of very good showers and loos all of a high standard. There was a bucket and mop for you to clean shower cubicle after use, which it needed as it was quite muddy. Shower cubicles biggest I've been in so clothes stayed dry, and drop down bench behind door, excellent idea.
Views from site wonderful.
10 minute walk to lovely big sandy beach where the sand is damp so no sand in everything, we took a plastic groundsheet to sit on. There was only one road to cross and then a path down to the beach.
Puttsborough beach was great too, car park £4 for all day and toilets there very clean. Lots of rock pools for children to play in, mine didn't even get to the sea.
The village of Croyde is very quaint and busy at this time of year, lots of surf shops. It also had bakers which sold take away filled baguettes and pasties also take away cream tea. There was a post office and general store for lovely bread etc.
We walked from Bay view through village and on up to Baggy Point, lovely walk took about 11/2-2hrs but we do not walk fast.
I hope you don't have to visit it, but Barnstable A&E is lovely, very quick seeing to our 10 year old who thought he had broken his arm.
We had a lovely week here and would highly recommend the sight and the  area.

Reviewer: Caroline1302 2 reviews from this member

I have never written a review before, but having read all the comments about this place I just wanted to put something in about our experience. We stayed for a week in mid August 2007 with our friends - they are a family of 5 (2 adults 3 kids) and just us 2 adults.
We had two large tents which they took care to ensure ended up next door to each other, both with electrical hook ups. We had arrived earlier than we had expected, fully expecting to be told to go away and come back after 12pm (and perfectly reasonable for them to say so too), we were warmly welcomed onto the site early and our pitches were freshly mown for us.
The toilet and showers blocks were clean and we never had to queue. Temperature of the showers was, for us, perfect. Yes they did shut for cleaning during the day, but most people were at the beach or out and about so there wasn't a huge impact - while we were there, there was always at least one toilet available should you get caught short.
Excellent location for the beach, pubs and shops - watch the road though it is busy! I agree they did change the minimum stay signs daily which may have been an irritation to short term stayers. I didn't see too many "Don't do ." signs.
From a customer service point of view, in the evening of our first day we found out that one of our pet dogs had died suddenly at home. Unsure what to do, whether to leave early, go home to kent and pick up our remaining dog and bring her back down with us - the owners were sympathetic and supportive and were happy for us to bring our dog down.
Special mention must also go to the nice man hiring out the wetsuits - he could not have been more helpful in guiding us on what we should be squeezing ourselves into! We had - all things considered - a lovely time and we would have no hesitation in going back. There was a really nice atmosphere on camp, children playing together and dads amd mums getting involved in games of football and cricket.

Date of Visit: August 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: SandraJones 2 reviews from this member

We stayed here for a week and really liked it. Had travelled from Cornwall after being very disappointed with our site there. Compared to that, this place was palatial and the staff extremely friendly - so much so that I find the comments here quite bizarre, it's amazing how people's experiences differ.

Compared to our other site, the toilets here were very clean - except they some of them did block occasionally, although this was always sorted out. To me, having them closed each day for cleaning is surely a good thing because at least they're being done. There was always one loo that was still in use when they were closed.

There were plenty of toilets so never a queue and lots of showers - as for them being too hot - I didn't experience that, and much better than being too cold. Good water pressure - again at our other site, the showers were like a trickle so by comparison, these were great.

Someone mentioned signs everywhere - I can't remember seeing any that were other than useful - how would we know what was going on without them?

The pitch was a bit of a squeeze for our large Vango 900, although there was a very good gap on one side (we were in the larger field). The sunsets, yes were amazing, as were the views all round.

Facilities at reception were sufficient, you could buy your essentials - bread, milk and lovely cake. Excellent system for freezer blocks (again if anyone had been at our previous site they'd understand). The takeaway was very useful as was the little pizza takeaway - bit expensive but lovely all the same. There was also a useful drinks machine by the shower block. The washing up facilities were great, lots of sinks. We didn't see any family of chickens. Maybe we missed them!

Croyde itself was lovely and quaint - the Thatch does lovely meals, reasonably priced too. The site was very close and with a nice walk to a fabulous huge beach, which even had nets up for volleyball and football.

We really liked it and would definitely go there again, although not much to do for our close-to- teenage daughters so may have to look for site with more for them to do (which of course is a great shame because we like quiet).

We didn't experience noise at night like some commentors here. Some people were chatting and laughing at night, but only until about 12, then it went quiet. There was quite a lot of noise in the distance but we could never work out where from - one of the pubs in the village we presumed. This wasn't a problem though as it was just people enjoying themselves and as I said it was in the distance. As for the gates being closed, yes they were and I understand this could be a pain, but we thought it was a very good security measure.

Date of Visit: July 2005 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Mandybrowncow 2 reviews from this member

I stayed here with my sister and her 2 children. Although the facilities are good, the views wonderful and the children's play area fantastic, the staff are so rude it almost ruined the holiday. It was not just us, almost every time we went to reception for ice, milk, etc. There was someone there in tears, usually a woman, while the staff were shouting abuse and insults!

The people who run this place have no concept of customer service, they are just out to get your money, make endless petty rules and seem to take a perverse pleasure in upsetting people

Date of Visit: August 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Stuey 2 reviews from this member

Lovely site, nice views, pitches just about an ok size, provisions at reception acceptable, excellent takeaway, site generally clean and tidy and well maintained, location good (10 minutes walk from beach and 3 minutes from village centre), but.

Several (most) of the staff here are VERY rude. Their attitude to paying customers is simply shocking, varying from sarcasm to ignorance, abusiveness to plain unhelpfulness.

There are conflicting signs about dogs "No dogs" (unless you prebook for 7 nights sat-sat). The prices are quite high, and wo betide anyone who dares to try to leave after 11am. You will be asked for an extra days fees.

We did have a great holiday though, but this was down to the company we had with us, rather than the staff. Good customer service from the staff costs nothing to provide. I am a customer who will look elsewhere next year I'm afraid.

Date of Visit: July 2006 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Sciver 2 reviews from this member

I have to agree with all the other posters about the attitude of the staff at this site - everyone we spoke to was incredibly rude and unhelpful. There was a 3 night minimum stay policy on a Thursday night - the site was very empty and they refused point blank to be flexible on this (fair enough I suppose). But then the next day, Friday, their minimum stay was changed to 2 nights! We were furious!

I have never seen a site with so many notices on display - "Don't do this", "Don't do that". They must think all their campers are totally stupid and have zero common sense. Do they think they are running a prison camp rather than a campsite??

All that aside, we found the site good - if you go for a pitch higher up the fields then you get a sea glimpse - spectacular at sunset. No problems for us with the showers/toilets although the showers were far too hot - surely a health and safety issue there? Half a dozen chickens regularly patrolled the fields and there were also a family of ducks there during our visit which waddled up and down the fields several times a day.

Not sure if I would return or not - the proximity to Croyde is a huge bonus but I don't know if I could bear to put up with such rude staff.

Date of Visit: July 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Jane22 1 review from this member

We have been to this site on 3 occasions prior to this one and although always felt toilet block was basic it was always spotless. This is first time we have been with the new owners and we were hugely disappointed. The noise level at night was not monitored at all and in fact there was a tv in one tent that was still on (loudly) at 3.00 a.m., children over 10 are not meant to be in playground and would previously have been asked to leave it for the little ones but this no longer appears to be monitored and people were arriving and leaving well past 11.00 pm. The biggest problem was the toilet block which we heard many complaints about, this was absolutely filthy every time I went in it and I never once saw anyone cleaning it at all (apart from someone staying at the site!) All in all a real shame as we used to really like this site but would not wish to return after this visit.

Date of Visit: August 2005 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Nickyc53 2 reviews from this member

Though it does have lovely views, play area and facilities, it also has draconian rules, and high charges.

I hate to rant but this campsite represents everything that is bad about the West Country tourist industry.

The staff are rude, almost without exception, they love breaking bad news (to other people) like "you can't stay here as we're full", even as it plainly wasn't - and we stayed a week and saw it didn't fill up.

They close the loos/shower blocks for clearing during the day so you can't use them - ask my pregnant wife how that felt.

And they lock the gate at about 10.30pm so if you do go out for a pub meal and why wouldn't you in Devon, you have to park on the road and carry your young family up a very long steep road to your pitch.

Date of Visit: August 2005 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Surfs_Up 1 review from this member

I have recently joined ukcampsite and i'm relived there is somewhere to comment on Bayview Farm. I have been to this campsite a few times in the past and had a very well come stay. I agree strongly with the conflicting and changing rules. As before when I went we were a group of all females down to enjoy the surf and friendly quiet atmosphere of croyde.

On my last visit I found that there was a sign reading no all sex groups. I found this surprising but did not worry as I was with my partner, being a gay woman I find I rarely come across situations where I disclose this.

When I arrived the gentleman on reception immediately shook his head at me as I got out of my vehicle, he told me 'no all sex groups' I was taken back as I was in a couple, with my partner, down for a quiet weekend. I felt put on the spot and told him we were not a group, but a couple. He was rude and obnoxious, and I carried on to disclose that I was with my partner for a quiet weekend.

He again told me 'no all sex groups' embarrassed and angry I drove off, never experienced such rudeness. We did however find a very friendly well come at CHerry Tree farm.

Previous     67 Reviews in total, now showing 51 to 60      Next

Is Bay View Farm Caravan & Camping Park child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Bay View Farm Caravan & Camping Park?  There is a shop on site  View all facilities

Is Bay View Farm Caravan & Camping Park dog friendly?  NO  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Croyde      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Devon (North)

UKCS Meet Beat at Tencreek 60s Weekend 09/10 to 11/10
A three day concert dedicated to the sounds of the Swinging Sixties set in Looe in Cornwall. Weekend Camping Available ...more