Reviews of Brakes Coppice Park

Campsite Search > UK > England > South East > East Sussex > Battle > Brakes Coppice Park Reviews

Brakes Coppice Park
Forewood Lane
Crowhurst
Battle
East Sussex   (Browse area)
TN33 9AB

Open: 01/03/2021 to 31/10/2021
           01/03/2022 to 31/10/2022

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Small Campervans
 No Glamping Units   No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point   Wifi Access
 Shop On Site   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <1 mile
 Fishing On Site   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool <1 mile   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   No Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   Tennis <5 miles
 Beach <5 miles   Watersports <5 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  100 in total, now showing 61 to 70                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10

Date of Visit: May 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Scrapaholix 2 reviews from this member

Have just returned from this site. I travelled on my own with my two children in my twin axle caravan. Firstly I took the very first turning that has the sign on for Brakes Coppice which was a WRONG move as it's a very steep and narrow road that leads down to the actual farm. The sign that says the caravan site is a mile further down is situated at the side of the Farm sign so please don't make this same mistake (after talking to others there were many that did)

The site is lovely and clean, lots of campers in tents with caravans and tourers around the sides, a small wooden park in the centre and surrounded by woodlands. The kids were out in the morning till well into the night, the site is really secure. The toilet blocks basically need pulling down and rebuilding and I was a little surprised as this is a C&C Club site. It's very basic but I had read the reviews on here beforehand so wasn't totally shocked, the water was warm and it costs 20p for a shower which is fine. The shop/reception is open till 8pm and you can pre-order your papers The owners are fantastic people, friendly and helpful.

I was concerned about getting my twin axle back up the hill with my automatic car and the lady said her husband would take it up (which he did in his land rover) I kept tripping the electrics so the owner went off and got a camping kettle for me to borrow which was lovely and they also loaned me a long ariel lead, both items were loaned free of charge and without me asking which was really lovely. In the woods on the woodland walk there is a big rope swing which my kids loved (they need supervising tho) and because the weather was so great we all had a fantastic time.

We loved it so much we are returning next weekend with friends who only live 30 mins away. If you have a lower numbered pitch then you get the sun early morning but it is gone by around 3ish, the higher numbers get the last sun.

Date of Visit: May 2009 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Mummycat40 2 reviews from this member

Spent the early May Bank Holiday here, as our first attempt at camping with our two princesses, after 15 years of non-camping and only festival experience before that!

The site was easy to find, despite the Sat Nav's attempts otherwise, and was as promised, well hidden down a narrow and steep track! We had an unserviced pitch, which was slightly uneven, but not unbearable. The location was good, plenty of space in our pitch, backing onto the woods, and not overlooked.

The site seemed busy, although the central pitches were unoccupied on our first night, and we certainly didn't feel crowded. There were a couple of large groups, but they didn't intrude or make too much noise too late, having said that, someone was chopping wood until the early hours on the Sunday, but although it woke us, the kids were completely oblivious!

The toilet block was basic, but acceptable, we didn't use the showers, but I noticed that the shower had to be activated from outside, which seemed inconvenient. Three sinks for dishwashing, so minimal queueing. Loads of BBQ's to use, and despite the no fires request, some campers appeared to have quite big fires!

Loads of kids on site, but they tended to stay near the play area, which is pretty basic but seemed to keep them happy enough, or in the woods. I think the access to the coppice woods makes this site, our girls were straight off exploring, and we hardly saw them all weekend. We have a million and one photos of the bluebells, and the girls loved having the freedom to roam and make friends.

We didn't visit the local area this time, but know that Battle, Bexhill, Eastbourne are good for days out, and it's an absolutely gorgeous part of the country, with plenty to do. We went to Drusilla's courtesy of Tesco clubcard, and it kept us busy all day!

Certainly whetted our appetite for camping, and I should think we'll be back, probably same time next year.

Date of Visit: May 2009 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Stular@talktalk.net 1 review from this member

Second visit to Brakes Coppice Park. Toilets and shower are basic but clean. Our six year old had plenty of fun playing in the woods. We were able to freeze icepacks in the complimentary freezer, which kept food & beer cool.
Some pitches have electric hook-up. The site is ideal for those with children under 10 as the woods and small adventure playground keep them entertained. Owners are able to supply bbqs, so just need fuel.
The only possible downside is that some of the pitches aren't level, but a small price to pay. Didn't need to leave the campsite, but lots to do in the surrounding area. Overall a good little campsite. Will definitely be returning.

Date of Visit: September 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: DogChops 10 reviews from this member

Our last camping trip of 2008 took us to Brakes Coppice, which we had never visited before, but was within the 100mile (2hr) drive criteria. Arrived at the site and were excited by the downhill winding road into the woodland which then opens up to the campsite.

The main field itself isn't very big and wasn't particularly busy when we went, even though it was still a sunny weekend. We were pitched at the bottom of the field (it's on quite a slope) as we wanted to be as close to the play area as possible, which could do with a bit more than the balancing logs and wooden bridge currently in situe, that said our boys (3 and 5) made the best of it with the other kids on site.

Now, don't get me wrong, the first 2 comments about the play area and slope may sound like I'm caning the site, but I'm not. It is in a really lovely setting and everybody we met on site was really nice, in fact possibly the friendliest folk we have met, plus it has a fishing lake which produced plenty of crucian carp to float fished maggot, although they have pictures in reception of folk with double figure carp, I never saw them.

The toilets although clean enough, could do with some updating.

If you do go with a tent, try to avoid pitching at the bottom of the slope below the play area, as being set down in the trees, the sun doesn't brake the treeline until very late morning so it is cold for quite a while.

Traditional camping fayre can be delivered to the campsite courtesy of the local chinese takeaway in Battle Woohoo.

There are plenty of old discarded barbecues which you can use to make a fire in to keep warm and light up the evening. A hardware shop in Battle sells a bag of kindling for a couple of quid.

The adults only pitches were very secluded nice and flat pitches, but they won't see daylight at all being tucked away nestling into the trees.

Speaking of which, if you are careful you can take a nice walk in the woods and let the dog off lead for the duration in there without worry. We went at night with a lovely family of regular visitors who took us with them, the kids loved the night-time walk in the woods.

All in all, a really nice campsite location for tenters if can stand it being a bit cooler, probably much better in the warmer months.

Date of Visit: September 2008 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Jacky99 2 reviews from this member

What a fantastic little site set amongst beautiful woodlands.
The site is down what seemed a never ending lane and we did miss the turning so having to turn around in the middle of a lane was quite hard. The site entrance takes you down a long narrow bumpy winding lane.
We went with my mum and dad who also had a touring caravan, the owner was very kind and said we could take up three pitches if we wanted to at no extra charge which was great.

There were quite a few little tents arrived on the Saturday and we were woken at 7am by children playing in the woods, which was directly behind us, but they only stayed for two nights, after that we had the whole campsite to ourself.

There is a small lake (well more like a pond)at the bottom of the site, it was quite lovley and peaceful. My husband caught a couple of very small fish after sitting there all day.
The highlight of this site for me had to be the woodland walk, my dogs loved it, very pretty and took about 30 mins to get round.

The toilet block needs a bit up grading very small and about one or two showers I never used them myself I used my own but my husband said the water was piping hot. The only downfall I have with this site is it only being 6amp we were forever going outsite throwing the trip switch back up but other than that fantastic little site.

Date of Visit: August 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Lumpo31 6 reviews from this member

Booked here for 5 nights, stayed only 1 as was unable to sleep due to extreme noise from neighbouring tents, at first until 2am, and then from 4am. I had booked on the basis of it being a CCC site, and therefore under the impression that noise wasn't allowed between 11 and 7!

Also, even though our confirmation receipt arrived carrying the message (big and highlighted) 'NO FOOTBALLS!' the people from the noisy tents played football regardless, right in front of our tent, and right under the eyes of the warden. Nothing was done about the noise nor about the football, so I packed up the kids and left after one night.

The toilet block was woefully inadequate for such a large site, one shower (still!) in each section, hardly enough for the number of people jammed onto the site. The children's play area was fine, but it wasn't really enough to keep my kids occupied for long, and they complained about being bored.

On the plus side, it's proximity to Battle is a bonus, and I can highly recommend 'Yesterday's World'. We'd planned to go to Battle Abbey (which we've visited previously) and places further afield, but alas, it was not to be.

Date of Visit: June 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: RDlondon 1 review from this member

The site is set in lovely woodland surroundings and is split into 3 areas. We stayed in the 'adults only' area which has a very cosy feel to it. We didn't arrive until about 8pm on the friday and there was still plenty of choice where to set up, there was only 1 othr tent and a couple of camper vans there at that point. More arrived on the saturday but it still wasn't overcrowded.

The toilet blocks were fine, clean and obviously well looked after. There is only 1 shower in the gents, and probably the ladies too, so unless you're up very early you'll probably have to queue. We were up early so was free to use each morning (oh and don't forget your 20 pence piece!). Its a great shower too :-)

There is a lovely walk around the site that takes you through some beautiful woodland, a nice small walk to take to build up your appetite for a barbeque in the early evening! This was real 'back to basics' camping for us and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

The surrounding area is lovely. We took a trip into Battle and visited the Abbey and loved it! There are some lovely shops there too.

This is a very nice campsite, the owners were welcoming and have obviously done a great job with the site. We will certainly be returning here, soon I hope!

Date of Visit: June 2008 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Trident22 7 reviews from this member

We stayed only for one night but felt that whilst the site had potential, the washing facilities were poor and the toilets were not clean, even though there were very few people on site - probably not cleaned daily at this time of year.

The water in the taps was piping hot but the whole area had a run down feel.

Very close to Battle which is well worth a visit with many restaurants, individual shops as well as the obvious Battle Abbey.

Also visited Hastings but beware if you have a camper van - height restrictions on all car parks - although you can use the coach park, room permitting and at the discretion of the parking attendant.

Date of Visit: May 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Helen 4 8 reviews from this member

Spent a very enjoyable weekend at Brakes Coppice. Quite quiet when we were there, so could choose exactly where we wanted to pitch. We have a large 12 berth tent but this was no problem as pitch sizes very generous. Facilities perfectly ok and lovely little play area in the middle of the site which you can see from most pitches so very safe. I can imagine evenings to be noisy there when it's busy though.
The coppice at the back of the site was a real hit with my children and great fun to explore (even when it's raining!) My son was really upset when we had to leave, so will definitely be back again.

Date of Visit: May 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Penman clan 1 review from this member

Well maintained grounds secure for children to play in. Basic but clean shower for 20 p however struggles to suply hot water at peak times (only luke warm available). Plenty of hot water for the dishes. Nice playing ground. Situated well away from the road so very safe for the kids.

Previous     100 Reviews in total, now showing 61 to 70      Next

Write a Review of this Site to Win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Is Brakes Coppice Park child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Brakes Coppice Park?  There is a shop on site  View all facilities

Is Brakes Coppice Park dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Battle      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in East Sussex

UKCS Meet Paws in the Park, Kent 18/09 to 19/09
UK's largest outside dog show for working, trained and pet dogs held at the Kent Showground. Weekend camping available on site ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021