Reviews of Lower Lacon Caravan Park

Campsite Search > UK > England > Central > Shropshire > Wem > Lower Lacon Caravan Park Reviews

Lower Lacon Caravan Park
Soulton Road
Wem
Shropshire   (Browse area)
SY4 5RP
Tel: 01939 232376

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Glamping Units
 Statics for Hire   Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Fishing <5 miles   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool <1 mile   Outdoor Pool On Site
 No Horse Riding   No Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   Tennis <1 mile
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport On Site  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  145 in total, now showing 71 to 80                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15

Our site is open and we are taking bookings , please be assured you can book with confidence

For peace of mind of our customers and staff, we have decided to restrict our communal areas. Please contact us for full details of what facilities are available.

To enquire about a booking or for more information please contact us

Reviewer: Kat67 4 reviews from this member

We went here for our first ever camping weekend. First impressions were great, the staff in reception were lovely and extremely helpful. As it was my first camping trip I was a bit worried about how/where to pitch the tent and I was assured by the receptionist that the warden would come to see me and would help.

As I drove around the site he was chatting to someone at the top and flagged me down and told me he'd be round shortly. I started pitching up. He never arrived. Later that afternoon I walked to the toilet block and saw him and asked if he would still be coming over, yes he said, I'll be there in a bit. He never came. I can only assume he had seen the tent from afar and was happy with where I'd put it. I ruined several pegs and couldn't get the majority of them more than half way in, but thankfully the tent stayed put, even with heavy downpours and a bit of wind.

Cosmetically the site could do with a 'spring clean'. There are lots of seasonal pitches that look as though they have seen better days and as a first impression, not good.

Toilet blocks, well, I'm glad we were only there for two nights because there was no way I wanted to risk taking a shower in there. Toilet paper strewn all over the floor and they seemed a bit damp and the floors quite wet. I felt I'd need to wash my feet after using the shower.

The play area was ok and our toddler seemed to enjoy himself on there. However, the behaviour and language from some of the other children left a lot to be desired. We did love the fact they have animals in a few sections of the camp, alpacas (I think!) near us and at the top of the camp were some pigs - I wanted to bring one home!

We popped into the club but only had one drink there and then went back to the tent so I can't really comment on that, but we did get breakfast sandwiches from the takeaway and they were delicious and good value for money.

Thankfully, I did enjoy the camping experience but I'm not sure I'd like to return to this particular site. Such a pity because as I say, the reception staff were wonderful. I think I'd also prefer to be on a site where you don't necessarily need to jump in the car if you want to go out and about, but there is nothing in the immediate vicinity here - I'm sure lots of people would yearn for that but I do like to be able to leave the car where it is mostly when I'm 'on holiday' even if it is just for a weekend break.

Reviewer: Tynan05 1 review from this member

Just returned from a 2 night stay in our tent.Found the site to be brilliant,even though site was really full the shower/toilets were kept clean and I did not have to queue once for a shower.

The wardens were very,very good and cheerful.One evening we ate at the take away and found it to be a very reasonable price and tasty. The children's playground is great and the 5mph speed limit on site is adhered to so very safe.

Will be returning soon and I would not hesitate in recommending this site.

Reviewer: Diesel123 1 review from this member

We came here for 4 nights, 4 Adults and 3 Children. We where put on the Family field which was good for us, as the park is rite next to it, so the kids could play there and we could see them.

On the first day we set up camp, then the kids wanted to go to the 'heated' swimming pool, so we all got ready, the weather was ok, sunny but cloudy. When we got there the kids jumped in and said the water was freezing. I put my foot in and it was, so we never stayed long as the kids where shivering.

The toilets and shower block, were clean, but could of done with having a few benches in as it was hard getting myself dryed an dressed an my 3 year old daughter at the same time, without gettin our towels dirty.

Jakks Barn opened at 8pm, which we went to every night, the boys enjoyed the Air Hockey, and my daughter loved dancing to the music on the dance floor, wasn't a disco, as that is only on over the weekend, we went Monday 2 Friday, but she loved it.

Could do with Jakks barn being open in the day, so if it was raining we would of had somewhere to go. All in all it was a good get away for the kids, they were all shattered when we got home an they even asked if we could stay longer. Would come back again, when the weather is a bit better.

Reviewer: Happy :) 2 reviews from this member

We have just got back from a two night stay at Lower Lacon, the reception staff was very nice and helpful, and the shop is well stocked. The pool and crazy gold are looking tired and need cleaning. The ladies toilets were clean however Iím told the menís werenít as nice. The showers too could have done with a good clean.

We were pitched on the tent field by the playground. Take some rock pegs with you! Normal tent pegs will go in if youíre lucky, but the ground is generally rock solid.

We had a large pitch 10 x 12, however we only just managed to get our Horizon 8 tent with porch and two cars end to end on with no room to spare, the guild ropes and your cars have to fit within the white pitch markings.

The hot water for washing up costs 10p and this turns the warm taps on in two sinks, of which only one has a plug.

Well we would have had a nice time if it werenít for the fact that we were kept awake till 2am every night and woken again around 7:30. The 11pm no noise rule is not enforced, teenagers running about shouting and people coming out the bars drunk and shouting.

The no ball games rule is also not enforced as we had footballs and cricket balls hitting the tent all through the day, and football matches going on well after dark!

Some of the other areas looked quite quiet, if youíre booking there get a pitch on one of the outer fields.

As you can imagine we will not be going back.

Date of Visit: June 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Moonchester 4 reviews from this member

The first thing you see when entering this site is what can only be described as a motorhome sales yard, this made first impressions of our visit to be very poor.

Onwards to our pitch we then came across some very scruffy seasonal touring pitches, they really need some TLC and make the whole place look scruffy.

Site Takeaway was great and the toilets were clean.

We were not shown to our pitch which made life difficult when we arrived, there were no pitch markings, we had to ask fellow campers what their pitch number was and work it out for ourselves, took at least 20mins to do this after arriving in the correct field.

Pitch was large and had plenty of taps, toilets were clean.

However wont be revisiting this site as it needs far too much TLC and a good tidy up, the pool area was grotty, needs the grass cutting around the edges, provided tables and chairs were appalling green plastic that looked very scruffy. The patio area only requires a few hours with a jet wash.

Wont be going back as we found the whole place on the whole too scruffy for our liking which is a shame as this site does have many positives.

Date of Visit: June 2010 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Whiskydry 7 reviews from this member

I don't usually use 'holiday park' campsites, the idea of site clubs and the like fill me with dread! But we had friends going back to Lower Lacon so I figured it must be OK if they were going back!

So I set out with some trepidation and actually elected not to read the reviews beforehand as I didn't want my opinion clouded either way!

The site is very well signposted for quite some distance before you get to it, which was great since I had just about reached the 'I think we may be lost.' stage when we spotted the first sign! Booking in was quick and painless - don't forget a tenner in cash for the refundable deposit for the security barrier card though (one per vehicle). The minigolf ( we didn't get around to playing but my 8 year old thought it looked too easy!) is right there at the entrance to the site, before you even go through the barrier - you've got to hope no one swings too enthusiastically and hits your car while you are in reception checking in!

There is a 5mph speed limit on the road through the campsite, and it's needed - the road is generally teeming with children on bikes and scooters, dog walkers, families meandering up from the pool and so on - sometimes I even had to go slower! It's nice that the site feels safe for all that meandering though.

We were pitched on the 'family' area which was fine as we were 2 adults and 2 kids. But I can't say I was happy with the position of our pitch (number 8 if you want to avoid it!) - right on the edge of the road, directly opposite the dog walk, and backing directly onto the playground. There was no hedges or shrubbery to in anyway separate us from our surroundings, we were just kind of plonked there! I did go back to reception and ask if we could move, but sadly the answer was no. Inevitably our fears were realised on the very first night when we were treated to the joys of teenage swearing and swaggering until deep into the night, just about 2 metres from where our 8 year old girls were trying to sleep. We had a word with the warden the following day and happily there was no repeat performance until our last night, and a new set of teens.

At first glance it appeared as though there was no hook up for our EHU pitch, however it turned out that we had to run our cable across the front of pitch 7 and behind pitch 6. Apparently Pitch 6 EHU was located behind pitch 5, but I could imagine no end of bust ups as people tried to work out who was meant to be plugged in where, and in fact our electric apparently did get unplugged one day because we came back to a warm cool box.

It's worth mentioning that if your EHU cable isn't long enough for that distance, you can hire an extension from the shop for a £25 deposit.

The actual pitch was very flat, and plenty big enough for our big 8 man tent. It was near impossible the get the pegs into the rock just below the grass - my own fault for not properly reading the website info because it is mentioned on there. Some of our pegs are still there - the ones we managed to drive in were impossible to remove on striking camp this morning. If you can get the red one out, they are good pegs, have it as a gift from me to you!

There are 2 toilet blocks on the site, and it's a huge site. They seemed to be enough though, I never had to queue for the loo. They could do with being cleaned more than once a day, but they could also do with people treating them a little more like they would treat their own loo, and not scattering the toilet paper all over the floor.

I did have to queue for the shower. There are not enough of them for the size of site. Once in, the free hot water is lovely and plentiful, and the cubicle is spacious enough to get washed and dressed relatively comfortably. There needs to be a mop and bucket there though.

You will need plenty of 10p pieces to do your washing up, and if you need to use the washing machine that's £3.

The shop is fine, prices very fair, stock what you would expect - basic groceries, sweets, camping gas etc. I didn't venture into the adult bar, but we did pop into Jakks Bar, for the children's disco. We stayed long enough for the kids to buy a slush and then left - it was incredibly hot and stuffy in there, and not really where we or the children wanted to be on a warm summer evening. There is a cafe on site and plenty of people seemed to use it, there was usually a smell of chips wafting round the area, but again not something we took advantage of. That's mostly because we were at the swimming pool most of the time. It always looked clean and the kids loved being able to play in there for hours on end. There is no lifeguard, so adult supervision is a must, and the wardens do make sure that each child has a responsible adult present. There are a few patio tables and chairs, plus grass to sit on, and there is a snack bar, drinks bar, vending machines etc close at hand too so it's not too arduous a task to sit at the poolside for a few hours a day!

The wardens were brilliant. Always present, always friendly and helpful, couldn't ask for more.

The local shops in Wem were OK - there was a Co-Op for groceries, a pharmacy and a chip shop which was nice. That was all we used, there was more around, but it's a small village. We had lunch in a pub called The Raven Inn, just outside of Wem - a bit off the beaten track. It was nice food and the staff were very pleasant, although service was a little on the slow side, given there was barely anyone else in there! But I would still recommend a meal there. Lunch for 2 adults and 2 children came to £15.

We had a great week at Lower Lacon. Would I go back? Yes, but not at a weekend, and not on that same pitch! But there are literally hundreds of others to choose from so I doubt that would be a problem.

Date of Visit: June 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Akstonecross 1 review from this member

Just came back from a few days at Lower Lacon, the staff were very friendly and we got escorted to our pitch and then given a tutorial on the park facilities and Wem. We pitched in the white area down the bottom on a very spacious flat pitch. A very clean park on appearance with lots of bins, the play area could do with a re-vamp (a little on the small side)and our kids loved the pool (although it could do with a re-vamp), the bars/cafe were ok and the shop/reception was very good. The toilets/showers were clean and we had no problems with queues although the park was quite full. Some seasonals do bring the park down a little but most are fine, we will be returning!

Date of Visit: May 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Kelski69 1 review from this member

Staff friendly. We stayed on the orange section next to the playing field and close to jakks club. Take away and cafe good and prices not to expensive. Jakks club fine for people with children also for people without children if they don't mind kid's.

Adult bar possibly too small for when the entertainment on but still got a seat. Good entertainment on in both clubs to suit all. Shop small for the size of the site but has your everyday needs.

Pool busy so not able to go in so unable to comment. Toilet block very clean could do with more showers as could get very busy in peak season. All in all would go back for a long weekend and recommend to friends.

Date of Visit: May 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Kie68 36 reviews from this member

Check in was easy enough. This site is massive, we had to drive right around the site to get to our pitch,which was behind the main entrance and adjacent to the main road we came in off. Unfortunately with only one road one the site we had to drive all the way around every time we went off and back on. The 5mph speed limit is good and must be adhered to as children are playing everywhere and can just dart out in front of you at any time.

The pitches are very big (approx 9x9m) and are mixed tent, caravan & motorhomes, which again is good. There are families playing ball games and the kids all joined in.

We have to agree with other reviews though. The facilities are dated. The 'Adult Bar' is little more than a portacabin, the pool is basic and a little dirty. The 'Family Bar' is a block built barn with concrete floor, there only seemed to be one member of staff doing the entertainment which mainly consisted of party dances.

The park was very busy and there must be 500+ pitches. There are only two toilet blocks having 8 showers in total. We ended up using our shower in the caravan for the first time ever because we had no choice. My Wife counted 14 women waiting to use the showers!

Date of Visit: April 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Dixon72 4 reviews from this member

We spent 1 week on this site with 2 children and the toilet block was falling apart and very cold as no heating and not very clean. The reception staff were friendly and even agreed a little tlc was required on site. The new barn area was good for kids, the takeaway food was ok but little pricey.

The ground was very hard as we had to use our rock pegs its open to strong winds.

Would we go again?? NO Sorry

Previous     145 Reviews in total, now showing 71 to 80      Next

Is Lower Lacon Caravan Park child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Does Lower Lacon Caravan Park have a swimming pool?  YES, there is a pool on site  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Lower Lacon Caravan Park?  There is a shop on site  View all facilities

Is Lower Lacon Caravan Park dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Wem      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Shropshire

UKCS Meet Beat at Tencreek 60s Weekend 09/10 to 11/10
A three day concert dedicated to the sounds of the Swinging Sixties set in Looe in Cornwall. Weekend Camping Available ...more