Reviews of Withernsea Sands Holiday Village ( Parkdean Resorts )

Campsite Search > UK > England > North East > East Yorkshire > Withernsea > Withernsea Sands Holiday Village ( Parkdean Resorts ) Reviews

Withernsea Sands Holiday Village ( Parkdean Resorts )
North Road
Withernsea
East Yorkshire   (Browse area)
HU19 2BS

Fishing 1 mile   Wild Swimming 1 mile   Indoor Pool On Site   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   No Cycle Hire   Golf On Site   Tennis On Site
 Beach 1 mile   No Watersports   No Boat Launch
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  76 in total, now showing 21 to 30                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8

Date of Visit: September 2011 Unit:  Static Rating:
Reviewer: The8tents 3 reviews from this member

We returned early yesterday from this camp site.

Normally tent campers, the weather and a 7 month old baby forced us to try a static caravan.

Not wanting the 'fun park' thing we were not disappointed in Withernsea sands park, it was very quiet and peaceful yet the facilities were there to be used if we wanted.

We found the staff pleasant and helpful.

The caravan was ok, a luxury after years of tent camping! yet perhaps it could've been in better condition, missing door handles, ripped seats etc, but generally it was clean.

Good job really as we spent most of our time in it.

We enjoy walking but there was no where to walk with a pram and a dog that wasn't on a main road with no footpath; or along treacherous cliffs! the site has sea views but you have to walk down steep steps to actually get onto the beach and then it isn't close by.

We tried walking just opposite the site, where there was what appeared to once have been a campsite, with broken windows from the old facilities block and abandoned dog poo bags piled up next to discarded electrical appliances and other rubbish just left where it was dumped.

We ended up just walking around and round the site!

We then optimistically ventured into the village, the promenade was a short respite from what greeted us. A place desolate and neglected. Many houses boarded up and for sale. The junk yard in the centre topped it off for me. The people in the shops were miserable, that is the shops not closed or boarded up. It felt like a ghost town!

It was a shame as it has the basics to be a lovely sea side town. Some interesting history and the reconstructed pier are lost amongst the pound shops.

The weather wasn't on our side but I'm sorry to say we found Withernsea a depressing place.

We drove out to near by Bridlington which was basically slot machine city in the centre

As a site, Withernsea sands is adequate, as a holiday location it is not. The truth is, we couldn't wait to get home! :-(

Date of Visit: September 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Da10ve 2 reviews from this member

Hi me and the family and some friends went for the last bank holiday. Was told we would have to book a two pitches for my tent [Corado 8] and a third pitch for my friends tent. Got both tents on two pitches. The third piych had a big hole in it. All the pitches were uneven and they were not cheap. We had a bit of bad weather when we there, had to help move a tent as it was in a hole full of water next to the toilet block. The toilets keep running out of loo paper the staff were not helpful. The bar was too small for the site, heard a couple of complaints from other holiday makers about this. I will not be booking to go camping here again. But we did enjoy the rest of or stay at Withernsea sands.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Hreardon 1 review from this member

had a great week camping and we had plenty of room not over crowded at all. We was on the first field right next to main building so it was a little noisy late at night. Only a few bad points such as lack of loo paper due to lack of hand towels(so have a loo roll handy) toilets and showers were spotless cleaned every morning any mess was down to users, washing up area was always clean and its under cover only 2 sinks, bar food was very tasty and reasonably priced no higher than a pub, usual ploy had to go thro amusements to get to the swimming pool/ playground and club. Onsite shop well stocked and the ladies are lovely and full of information such as where to visit etc. Withernsea itself not a lot there but nice if you just fancy a stroll along the sea front. We had a lovely lunch at A. JS in withernsea very tasty homecooked food and found a very cheap bakers for tasty snacks. Also visit Bridlington lovely seaside town and the deep in Hull good day out on the whole we had a good week and the weather was good be prepared to do some driving to visit good seaside etc.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: VictoriaStirrup 2 reviews from this member

Having just returned - early - from this site, I feel I must warn campers about the facilities and area.

Pitch - Whilst a good size, there were enough dips and troughs to find using any kind of furniture awkward. Although the camping field was always full, there was plenty of space around our tent, though the screaming and shouting obscenities could be heard clearly day and night.

Toilets and showers - Only 2 showers to service 2 fields. Usually hot and free, but dirty. Hairdryer didn't work. Take your own toilet tissue as usually run out by tea time.

Dishwashing facilities - Undercover, but dirty.

Clubhouse - Small, so get there early if you want a seat. Adequate, though food is just about ok.

Swimming pool - Ridiculous system of 1 in/1 out. There are 4 cubicles with doors at either ends for dry people wanting to get changed and wet people wanting to get dry! If raining, be prepared for a long wait. Pool small, though there is a tiny baby pool at one end.

Staff - Although not quite rude, I would have to describe them as indifferent, even fed up!

Withernsea - I'm really sorry, but can only describe this town as depressing. The beach is shocking. The sea is brown and the sand can only de described as rubble, with broken glass and dog mess thrown in for good measure! The nearest decent beach is Bridlington, a hours drive away. There is a soft play area situated in an amusement arcade in the town, which is only a short walk away.

Playareas - There are 2 play areas. 1 is on open ground which has a zip wire and is a congregating area for teens and also their drunken parents at 4 in the morning! There is also a nice play area for smaller children which we found locked at 6pm.

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Busby19782002 2 reviews from this member

Stayed for 1 week in a trailer tent with my husband and our two sons (aged 1 year and 3 years). The park is easy to find with no narrow bends making towing relatively easy.

Upon arrival we parked up and checked in at reception where we were allocated our pitch. We found our pitch next the sports ground. We did notice that the ground was very bumpy which didnít inconvenience us but Iím not sure how comfortable this would be to sleep on in a tent.

There are two toilet and shower blocks. The block on our field was a portakabin and kept very clean. The other camping field had a brick toilet and shower block which held the disabled facilities. The dishwashing facility on this field was much more desirable as we tended to use this rather than the sinks on our field. Both facilities were undercover.

Both of our boys loved the play area. However, this could only be reached by going through the amusement arcade. This was the only downfall. The adventure playground was good too and had an aerial slide much to my 3 year oldís delight.

We ate in the pub a couple of times and wee not disappointed with the price and standard of the food (typical pub grub really). Drinks were also reasonably priced. The children entertainers were good and our boys loved Sparky and Sparkle the parkís characters. The pool was a good size with good clean changing facilities.

Withernsea itself is a small town with a quiet beach. We found a lovely bakery along the high street and enjoyed our goodies in a very well equipped park near the leisure centre.

All in all we had a lovely holiday and I would return to this Park Resorts site.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jonnog 3 reviews from this member

You can tell that this site is not a private/family run site, it is just a job to the staff.

The toilet block was small for the amount of campers on site and it was a busy weekend. In the gents half there was two showers of which one was a disabled shower. It was the same in the ladies half. It could also do with a more regular clean. My wife said that the rubbish bin was full on the day of our arrival and had still not been emptied two days later.

The cleaning log on the wall, where the staff are supposed to initial when it has been checked or cleaned hadn't been done since the Wednesday and we arrived on the Friday.

The playground area was good for the kids, it had a zip line which my daughter thought was brilliant.

The pitch itself was ok but you were just told to pitch anywhere on the field, leading to a bit of confusion between EHU and non EHU.

There was also arcades and the swimming pool for the kids.

We didn't go the entertainment centre in the evening but we did get a meal and a drink on the day of our arrival and it seemed a little expensive.

There is also a small shop on site, which was handy, but again a little expensive.

We wouldn't dismiss going to another Park Resort but we won't be returning to this particular one.

Reviewer: Torgrosset 1 review from this member

Myself, my hubby and two children (aged 7 and 5) stayed at this site during May/June half term courtesy of Tesco clubcard! This is our first time 'proper' camping. Although we all enjoyed it as a whole, we've decided we don't like this sort of site and have learned a lot from the experience.

The site is located at the edge of the town itself. We stayed non-electric, and was told we could pitch in any of the three camping fields (electric being around the outside of the fields and non-electric in the middle). It was rather busy to say the least and both tents and caravans shared the camping fields but we managed to find a space, although rather cramped and on very uneven/bumpy ground, but as someone else has already pointed out the ground was like it everywhere and it could do with levelling. Unfortunately we were surrounded by rather loud neighbours with 'colourful' language. However everybody seemed to be quiet after about 10. 30pm ish.

As we stayed non-electric we didn't have an electric coolbox and the site had no facilities to freeze iceblocks! However, the kind lady in the touring reception allowed me to use the top freezer compartment of her personal fridge! Not ideal! I did wonder what other non-eloectric campers do as nobody else seemed to have a need to freeze the blocks?!?! Either they did without, have 3-way fridges or they have icytecks/igloo 5 day coolboxes or the likes?! Needless to say we've invested in an EHU and fridge for next time.

The toilet/washing up block was quite modern and the ladies side consisted of about eight-ten toilets, two showers, three sinks and four washing up points for two large fields of campers (not sure what was in the mens side, my hubby didn't really comment). I feel they could have done with either a larger block with more facilities, or another block altogether (there is, however, another block that serves the other camping field, which I understand is within a porta-cabin). It was a bit hit and miss as to whether the block was clean or not. I found out that the whole site was down to just 2 cleaners (they were supposed to have 6 apparently) so maybe that was why? I appreciate that they can't account for other campers being unhygienic and not cleaning up after themselves, but whatever the reason it wasn't as clean as I'd have liked and I was rather disappointed. The showers were pityful. I didn't even bother trying to have a shower under the 'dribble' that came out, not even sure whether the 'dribble' was hot or not. Instead we all had a good wash/shower after swimming where the showers were hot and decent! Not ideal, but better than what was on offer in the toilet block! The washing up facilities were OK and served it's purpose. The taps in one sink didn't work at all and although this was reported it wasn't repaired during our stay. Again other campers didn't have the common decency to clean up after themselves and most sinks were usually blocked with food waste, which was rather unpleasant. It's a shame as the site are obviously trying to make the facilities more appealing and pleasant by adding raised flower beds etc around the block. Maybe with more cleaners the block would be of a more acceptable standard.

The children absolutely loved the play facilities, in particular the zip-wire & wooden playground, which is located within one of the camping fields. If wanted, you can sit and watch the children play from your tent/caravan. Unfortunately it was dominated by older/teenage children and I felt my children should be supervised, but we stayed at the site during a busy week so was to be expected really.

The on-site shop was Ok and stocked the basics but a bit pricey, however there is a Tesco and Aldi in Withernsea itself.

The beach was just a short walk away and has a blue flag award so it was very clean. However you have to go down lots of steps to get to it (the beach near the site), so maybe difficult for families with small children/babies in a pushchair/pram or those with walking difficulties. It has more pebbles than sand, so get there early, choose your spot carefully and you'll need to wear crocs/flip flops to get to the sea! However the pebbles came in handy to decorate sandcastles! We enjoyed a lovely day at the beach near the site and the children loved it. Bonus that there are no amusement arcades! Not sure whether there are any nearer the town centre though.

The pool is small and only has four changing cubicals so often have to wait to get changed. The water was reasonably warm and the poolside is kept clean by the lifeguards (two being on duty all the time). The children enjoyed it and although it's only basic, it serves a purpose.

The evening entertainment is Ok. Personally not my cup of tea but my children loved the kids disco and 'Madness and Mayhem' or whatever it is called! We didn't really stop to see what was on afterwards. Prices were as to be expected - more than a pub put it that way! The food is dreadful! We decided to have dinner there on the first night and wished we hadn't. It was all overpriced frozen/re-heated commercial packet meals that tasted awful. If you like commercial pub-grub, then fair enough, but I prefer a home cooked meal.

The holiday as a whole is what you'd expect from a commercial site. I think I'd personally prefer a quieter site, but we chose this particular site specifically for the facilities for the children, and they enjoyed themselves so that's the main thing! Not sure I'd want to go back though.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Littlelegs68 2 reviews from this member

We arrived on the Friday and got told by reception to see the camping warden who would tell us where to pitch. Eventually we found her and got directed to a pitch that had a manhole cover to a drain in the middle of it. We told the warden who told us to pitch on a site nearby only to be told by the caravan next to it that their friends had this booked and would arrive later. Eventually the warden just told us to pitch anywhere. After hunting about we found a semi level pitch and set up. The touring fields really could do with levelling up. We had to pitch to one side of the pitch as the other was just too uneven to get the unit anywhere close to level, even with ramps and blocks it was just too randomly uneven.

The Toilet / Shower block had only two showers, 3 toilet cubicles and 3 urinals to service two big touring fields. On the Friday the cleanliness of the block was ok but by the Wednesday it seem they had given up on cleaning the block. Thursday morning I went to use the toilet and the stench was unbearable. Two of the urinals where blocked and over flowing with urine. I went to reception to inform them thinking that they didnít know only to be informed that they knew about it and it would be sorted later. I explained that the toilets where filthy and was told it was down to kids playing in them and blocking them up with toilet paper. I asked what was being done about it and they said it wasnít their fault and they could not do anything about it. When I said that as the owners of the park they were the ones that had the authority to get down there and clear the kids out of the toilets and tell them to stop hanging around I was just met with a blank look and got the feeling they were just not interested. The toilet block was in such a bad state that we cut our stay short by one night as I just could not face the prospect of trying to get a shower the next morning.

We used the pool on the site a couple of times with the grandkids and they really enjoyed it. Itís a small pool and at busy times operates a one out one in policy so you may have to wait a while to get in.

They have two playground areas for the kids, one for under six year olds which you have to walk through an arcade to get to, basic but the kids really enjoyed it. The other was for older children and this had a zip line on it.

The bar come club house is the usual holiday camp standard. Food is pub grub over priced and didnít look that appetising. Drinks are very expensive but that was to be expected. We only ventured in a couple of times so the kids could watch the entertainment but they asked to leave before it was over. People dressed as rabbits miming to a sound track just didnít captivate them (3 and 5 years old).

The town of Withernsea has a Tesco and Aldi so shoppingís not a problem. They also have a leisure centre. The beach has a blue flag award, itís quite stony at the top of the beach but as the tide goes out it reveals the sand. Free parking can be found adjacent to the beach away from the town centre and itís a 5 mins walk to the beach from the holiday park but access is via steep steps.

We enjoyed the Holiday but wont be going back to the same park.

Reviewer: Vesparuss 1 review from this member

We visited the site for 10 days and were very impressed and have already booked again for 2 weeks next summer. The site is very clean and well maintained with clean modern toilets that are cleaned everyday and constant hot water in both the toilets and pot washing areas. Site facilities are great with a decent play area and a good indoor pool. Entertainment is provided every night although we only went inside a couple of times as the weather was so good! The seafront and beach are 5 minutes walk away and the town centre about 15 minutes. The town is ok with plenty of pubs, a couple of chip shops and arcades and both Tesco and Aldi supermarkets. The lighthouse/museum is worth a visit and only 10 mins walk from the campsite. The site shop is well stocked but a little overpriced which is usually the case on campsites but its always handy for emergencies. Staff on the site couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. The bar is well stocked but a little expensive, again not unexpected but with supermarkets nearby we didn't go in the bar much as we tended to relax outside the tent with a barbeque. All in all I can thoroughly recommend this site and am looking forward to returning next year.

Reviewer: Kissmequick 3 reviews from this member

I had to pay for two pitches as my tent is quite large, so was expecting actual pitches when we arrived and when we were told to just put the tent up anywhere in the middle of the field I felt a bit fiddled out of money. The staff were not very helpful, I never wash my hair unless I can dry it as I look like a right Wally, I was told there were electrical hook ups for hairdryers on Saturday morning - I wouldn't have washed my hair if I had known I was going to plug my hairdryers in to a dead socket - when I went back to the same staff member with a wet head she told me that they have been waiting for an electrician since Friday and he probably wouldn't have been arriving until Sunday. I went straight to withernsea and paid a hairdresser to dry my hair I was pretty miffed let me tell you.

The showers were just a dribble along the back wall it was actually impossible to wash my hair without holding my hand against the back wall to collect water and quickly put it on my hair. The campsite surprisingly allowed a group of teenagers to camp up late at night and the tension in the site was sliceable, but thankfully they shut up at 1am once some woman shouted at them. Withernsea itself was lovely and the aldi and tesco were handy.

Previous     76 Reviews in total, now showing 21 to 30      Next

Other Sites Near Withernsea      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in East Yorkshire

UKCS Meet Motorhome and Caravan Show 15/10 to 20/10, NEC Birmingham
All the new 2020 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans Ė plus 1000s of accessories ...more