Visitor Reviews - Tencreek Holiday Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Cornwall (East) > Site Reviews

Tencreek Holiday Park
Polperro Road
Looe
Cornwall (East)   (Browse area)
PL13 2JR

This site has an availability calendar. You can check for availability here

Special Offer available to UKCampsite.co.uk visitors - see here

Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Kitchen Facilities   Freezer Available    Motorhome Point   Fully Serviced Pitches
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Fishing <1 mile   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool On Site   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   Cycle Hire   Golf <1 mile   Tennis On Site
 Beach <1 mile   Watersports <1 mile   Boat Launch / Mooring <1 mile
 Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  78 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8

Date of Visit: July 2018 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: TheNeweyTribe 5 reviews from this member

After such an amazing holiday, this was the second to last stop on our tour of Cornwall, and oh what a disappointment. I can’t describe the situation as well as my wife so all I am going to do for this review is leave you with the email that we sent to their customer service team 2 days ago which we still haven’t had a reply from.

Dear Management at Tencreek Dolphin Holidays.

It is with regret that I have to write to you unfortunately with some concerns I have had whilst staying on your site. I have spoken to customer liaison manager/ officer on the park who has noted my comments but asked for me to email them to you.

We are experienced campers and have stayed on 9 camp sites in the last 3 months with the final 6 of them being in the past fortnight.

Of all the sites Tencreek was the most expensive per night. We didn’t mind paying more, this was one of only two sites that had everything we wanted and more. Pool, entertainment, shop, laundry, great location and a sea view. Sounds great right? Unfortunately what we faced was less than idyllic.

It was late when we arrived, about 7:15pm we had had a busy day in St Ives and then travelled to you. The check in process was fine and we pitched in bay 18. Been so late we decided to eat at Dino’s Diner. I ordered Margarita Pizza and a Basket of chips for approx £13. When ordering I was told that there would be a 40 min wait on food. (At this moment I considered going to the shop to buy the pizza and chips and cook them myself but I didn’t want to disappoint my children taking them away from the entertainment and I convinced myself that this pizza and chips would be much nicer) what came out of the kitchen was revolting, I am unsure how pizza and chips could be so disgusting, it was barely warm with a horrible ‘freezer’ taste. It appears that the pizza and chips I could have purchased in the shop for 1/3rd of the price was the same.

After this I was hangry and whilst the evening entertainment was dire I found the ‘yellow coat’ that was calling out card bingo and then not actually being able to recognise the cards to check back unprofessional- she later fell off of the stage and spent the rest of the evening looking for her belly bar ball whilst her colleague did the work???

Whilst enduring all of the above I also needed to put my daughters bedding to wash as she had wet the bed the night before. Having used the launderettes at the other sites several times during our holiday and always had a really quick turn around (40 mins for a wash, 30 mins for the dryer). The washing machine, to be fair worked as it should but the tumble dryer was awful.

To dry two sheets, two pillow cases, two duvet covers and Two sets of pjs it took 2. 5 hours (£10) I had followed all instructions had on normal heat and perm press and cleaned the lint drawer. Now if your dryers take that long to dry then fair enough but to charge at £1 for 15 minutes is disgusting for washing to be no where near dry after that time.

Washing saga over and I try to put my children aged 3 and 2 to bed at 22:30- in exiting the club house they are subjected to plumes of smoke at the exit from all of the smokers huddled just outside the only exit. Then the noise that was emitting from the disco meant bedtime was impossible, never mind the late night party goers who felt it necessary to shout/ scream/ sing on their way back to their vans. Now I am one for having a good time but where was the consideration from site management to turn the music down at 11 and not up? Where was site security to stop the rowdy crowds disturbing young families? And where was there a more suitable sheltered area for the smokers to use?

The next morning I looked forward to eating my breakfast outside and enjoying the sea views- (turns out I couldn’t actually see them from our pitch) but breakfast outside would be just as nice in the sunshine. It was then that I noticed that our pitch was disgusting. Lots of litter, Broken plastic all over the grass and used baby wipes and to make it worse DEAD MOUSE that must have been there for some days. It’s body had rotted.

It was at this point that we first spoke to who I believe was a customer liaison manager/ officer as she happened to pass by our motorhome. She was great, noted our concerns and agreed to get our pitch litter picked. I told her my concerns about the tumble dryer and she was pleased that we had spoken to her.

We explained that this was the worst kept site we had been on all summer, there was no pride in the pitches. We had been on another ‘all singing, all dancing’ site (Trevornick) and spoke about how nicely this site had been kept despite its large footfall of visitors. The simplest thing they did was to provide all customers with as many black bin liners as they would need for free. Ensuring that customers took pride in their site as much as the staff who worked there.

After speaking to your colleague our concerns we left for the day and she promised to have our pitch litter picked on our return and remove the rotting mouse. However, when returning to base, the mouse and baby wipes had gone but the broken plastic remained.

The following morning (wed 1st August) was our departure day we needed to empty our onboard toilet tank at the Elson point. When my husband arrived, he turned immediately round and brought back a full tank. What faced him was a serious breach of health and safety. There was faeces and urine all over the walls and floor that this would have had to have been walked in to get to the sink. This is due to a lack of a hose on the tap. Pardon en the pun but what a crap end to our already disappointing stay. The same lady we had spoken to the day before passed my husband on the way back from the Elson point and he informed of the mess it was in. This was the ONLY member of staff we saw during our 2 night stay. Where were the cleaners and site staff??

It is safe to say that we will never be returning to this run down and expensive hole. Which is a shame because we loved Looe but I know I can find a site that is run better, is looked after and is more customer friendly in the local area.

I hope to hear from you regarding my concerns. I am happy to speak with you further and discuss good practice that I have seen elsewhere.

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Teppin 9 reviews from this member

I've been staying here a few times a year for over a decade, camping and holiday caravan. The facilities have been updated way beyond their former standards. The two large shower/toilet blocks are very nice. A wide selection of cubicles and family bathrooms. They could do with a few more washing up sinks, but it's not too bad.

The shop is inevitably expensive, but the take away isn't. We avoid club houses and swimming pools, but they are as you'd expect. Being slightly out of town and uphill, the club house gets busy. The majority of the pitches are full at busy times, personally I find them a little noisy. We don't mind families, but groups that drink can get loud, like a lot of large sites.

When camping we stay in the Meadow, there are no hooks ups, but we don't use them. You can camp where you like and the views of the sea and Looe island are lovely. The meadow is also cheaper than the set pitches.

The site is open all year, so it's good to have the option. I get regular emails from the site offering last minute deals on caravans and pitches, you can get some real bargains.

If you don't mind this being a holiday campsite as opposed to a small site, go for it.

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Paulandsue 6 reviews from this member

Arrived Monday, the missus and our 8yo were subjected to a cold shower. Pots had to be washed in cold water. Tuseday am informed reception to the situation and was told the toilet block next to us was out of order. I mentioned that ther were no signage to this affect, he said this would be sorted today. The signs never arrived. Tuseday evening I stopped a lady with a clipboard doing inspections and asked what was happening and was dully fobbed off. Fast forward Thursday evening signage gone up and we where kept awake till past midnight with work at in progress in the toilets. This consisted of a kango hammer braking out concrete. Glad we're leaving today.

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Static Rating:
Reviewer: Dange1952 1 review from this member

What a lovely place. Nearest site to Looe. Five minute drive to millpool car Park, then two minute walk into Looe. Campsite is spotless. Staff very friendly. Clubhouse has something for everyone. Very well stocked shop. Fantastic sea views. The beaches are immaculate. Plenty of eatery's in Looe. Lots to visit on your doorstep, Polperro, fowey, Polruan, just a few. What more could you ask. We will definitely be visiting tencreek again. Can't understand some of the negative reviews on here, take it from me it is perfect and I spent twenty years in the travel industry, so believe me I know what I am talking about.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Towner7679 7 reviews from this member

This is our third visit to this site, last one being in 2014. We decided to return as we were SO impressed with the shower block improvements, cleanliness of site etc.

While we enjoyed our stay this week, I don't think we will return for quite a while.

The site, unfortunately, seems to have turned into a residential touring park, with LOADS of permanent touring caravans. It was quite literally spot the tent on the site kind of holiday. Well in the ehu side anyway.

The shower blocks need some serious repair. While the one cleaning lady was there twice a day cleaning and replenishing loo roll and hand wash, the number of toilet cubicles that didn't have a loo roll dispenser or toilet seat for that matter was plenty!

The camp shop stocks various items at normal high site prices, they will freeze your freezer blocks at 40p per block.

The site is in a brilliant spot with fantastic views, but it has definitely let itself go a bit.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Tracyaowen 1 review from this member

This campsite has a beautiful view over Looe. The staff were friendly and there were plenty of amenities. The shower block was warm and regularly cleaned however if you want privacy or enough room you have to use the family cubicle and the slight gap in the door allows people to see you on the toilet! I hung up a coat to cover the gap. The door was missing from one toilet and the toilet roll holders were the ones that you pull and get one piece out. The roll regularly breaks off so that even though there is plenty you can't get the paper out!

The walks into town or to the nearest beach are downhill but you don't realise just how steep the roads are until you're walking back up!

The club was dark but the free wi-fi was great unless the club was busy. There was no outdoor seating which means the smokers are all hanging around the steps and those of us with dogs had to take it in turns going in the arcade with the kids. The 'dog field' is just a small area of grass that has been banked on 3 sides by a slightly higher wall of grass. One side is completely open so no off-lead walking. Whenever we went to walk the dogs there was usually a bunch of kids playing rounders on it.

The launderette is small with only a few washers and driers, several of which were out of order. The football pitch area was very good with high fences.

The shop is very small with a lot of empty shelves and the swimming pool was adequate.

Unfortunately it rained on our 4th day and most of the other campers seemed to sit in their tents drinking and shouting at each other which was ok until there was shouting coming from 3 different tents at 1:15am! There must not have been any camp patrols as they were not told to be quiet. The tent/camper pitches felt very close to each other and this, with the rain forcing my husband to sit in the Campervan for hours on end with 2 wet dogs, caused us to pack up and go home 2 days early!

Would not return.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sue@home 10 reviews from this member

Love this site, a short 30 min run from home, ideal for a few days R&R, Staff are always friendly and accommodating. Shower/toilet block is one of the best we've ever found. The Castaways is great for food and drink but if you want a truly proper pub meal try the Jubilee Inn at Pelynt, a quick drive away. Nice flat pitches.

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Dawnsunny 11 reviews from this member

This review is our opinion only but felt we needed to leave it.

Booked and paid for a weeks holiday in April this year, even paying an extra £15 for a sea view pitch, and was very excited to be going as we love Looe and as our two girls are getting older they need things to do on site, and this seemed to have ticked all our boxes.

We booked in and was given a tag to put on the caravan that showed dates booked. Right across this was stamped 'NO REFUNDS'. We didn't think much of this as we didn't intend asking for one. The site was neat and had about three tiers to the touring area. The top half was fairly full and round the edges were loads of seasonal hobbies, some very shabby and dirty. We drove to the second tier and as we turned in we where met with what can only be discribed as looking down at a recently arrived traveller site. Vans in no order, really tatty and unkempt.

This being our view for the next week we turned round and drive off, stopping at the on site pub to use the wifi so we could look up another site. The pub smelt so much it was on my clothes for the rest if the journey 😞. Realising why there was the no refunds declared on ticket we were left wondering if this happened a lot?!.

Lost money but glad we had only paid and lost just the one weeks fee. Sorry but will not be returning.

It looks like the site is used mainly for seasonals just unfortunate these pics where not on the website.

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Missarahmlee@hotmai 21 reviews from this member

To get straight to the point there is nothing wrong with this site and we were very happy with our stay and particularly for the price we paid. As with most sites its a matter of taste and preference as to whether they are for you.

Access- site was easy to find but is a short way down a single track road with passing places.

Location - about a mile and a half from Looe - walk able apparantly! - but nothing next to the site.

Check in - very efficient and speedy but we were the only arrival. Reception area and staff very smart and welcoming.

Pitching - no assistance offered. Were given an informative brochure with a map and verbal directions to pre-allocated pitch.

The pitches - Mainly grass but a few hard standing. There is a very slight slope to the site but pretty level. Drainage not an issue and we had some good rain. Pitches are wide but not deep and I felt a bit hemmed in. Electric hook up on a tower with 4 marked plugs.

Showers / Toilets - 2 new blocks sited close to all pitches. More than enough toilets and showers and no queueing even on bank holiday week. Underfloor heating kept floors nice and dry. All cubicles very spacious. 3 family rooms and a disabled facility in each block. Push button showers a bit dribbly. No private basins and I agree with previous reviewer that need hooks or a shelf by the basins for your towel.

Pool- small but pleasant and lifeguard present. Says balls not allowed but people had balls and body boards.

Shop - long opening hours, managed to get what I needed and prices ok.

Laundry - didn't use machines but charge is £3 change is avaiable at reception.

Castaways bar/takeaway. Bit dark and dingy inside during the day. Didn't experience the entertainment but had a cooked breakfast one day which was a good plateful and very reasonably priced. Free wifi in here too.

So in general no horrors. Shame about the dribbly showers and the push button drinking water taps. The laundry floor needed a good sweep - went in there to use the tap as fed up with push button ones - and looked like an explosion in a loom band factory. Didn't like the mix of tents and caravans on the touring pitches. There is not enough room between pitches and I felt my space was being invaded and I was invading space when walking to showers. I didn't feel comfy sitting outside as people were so close. The showers and toilets were acceptably clean but you are always up against people who never clean up after themselves, don't flush and allow their kids to run wild. No rowdiness really and bar turns out fairly early.

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: PaulD and Family 2 reviews from this member

Certainly not the best site we have visited. Views were fantastic. Pitch was not so good and no alternative offered. Toilet block was left in a disgusting state one morning. The site didn't feel like a touring holiday site mainly because of the seasonal tourers were not exactly in the best condition. It was noisy during the day with a groundsman using a strimmer for what seemed like hours on end. The play area was good for the children, Shop was small but reasonably stocked and reasonably priced. Don't think we would visit again, which is a shame as we love the area of Looe.

Previous     78 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Save to Virtual Brochure  Add this Site to your Virtual Brochure                                Share  Google Plus  Email Link  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

Other sites within 10 miles   -    All Sites in Cornwall (East)   -   Search for a site

Three sets of AutoSock Car Snow Socks to be won Win a Weeks Holiday at Stafford Moor Fishery

UKCS Meet Caravan, Camping & Motorhome Show 19th to 24th Feb, NEC
See the latest ranges of motorhomes, caravans, holiday homes, tents, awnings and accessories ...more