Reviews of Tencreek Holiday Park

Campsite Search > UK > England > South West > Cornwall (East) > Looe > Tencreek Holiday Park Reviews

Tencreek Holiday Park
Polperro Road
Looe
Cornwall (East)   (Browse area)
PL13 2JR

This site has an availability calendar. You can check for availability here

Special Offer available to UKCampsite.co.uk visitors - see here

Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 No Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Fishing 1 mile   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool On Site   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding 5 miles   No Cycle Hire   Golf 1 mile   Tennis On Site
 Beach 1 mile   Watersports 1 mile   Boat Launch / Mooring 1 mile
 Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 1 mile  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  81 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9

Date of Visit: July 2019 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Nights stayed: 7 Travelling as:  With friends
Reviewer: Coffeegirl_forever 10 reviews from this member

As this was the first time camping here I had no idea what to expect. We usually stick to sites that don't have set pitches and are a bit more basic.

There were many positives as well as negatives to Tencreek.

Pitches are tiny so we asked to go in the meadow, not realising that is was so sloped that most of the field was uncampable and that dog owners let their dogs roam free pooing in the meadow. Even after mentioning this at reception it still kept happening.

I was surprised after what happened there previously. Some dog owners also seemed to think having a dog was an excuse to walk near to people's tents and stare at the occupants or let dogs run up to strangers. Not being a dog lover myself I found it quite annoying.

Other rules were blatantly ignored such as not having fires and under 18s on the two gambling machines that had a sign on saying no under 18s, but it's not surprising as I did not see any patrols like on other campsites.

The wash facilities were kept clean apart from when people did not flush the toilets properly but to be fair there were no signs explaining that a proper flush meant holding the button in. The showers were annoyingly inconsistent as they had push buttons but not all were regularly timed. Plus the angle of water was not helpful. On the positive side, the temperature was always adjustable to my liking and there were big family cubicles for those with children. Every hour of the day there were people cleaning and caring for the facilities.

The toilets in the restaurant area had a broken lock all week and one toilet seat was off one day.

During the day the pool is open at various times but was overcrowded, saying that though most users were aware of others and moved out of the way. Not sure the staff were following any rules, for example there was a child who kept screeching like a whistle of a lifeguard and the staff did nothing, another child was splashing people and again they did nothing. In the morning there were adult only sessions for swimming lengths which was quieter. The nearest beach was covered in thick seaweed so not very good for swimming.

Food was okay, once I'd had my meal changed for one that wasn't burned (on a day when it was almost empty) and on several other days it was fine. As expected the bar prices are higher than some of the pubs in the area. In the shop there were a lot of bits and pieces such as cereal, milk, camping accessories and so on. There was always a wait for pizza but mostly the staff told people who were ordering how long it would be.

Almost all of the staff were pleasant to interact with although those driving the vehicles didn't seem to slow down near pedestrians especially at night. I feel that a lot of them were overworked as it was the same staff on the bar, doing the evening entertainment, looking after the children and so on at one point I felt like volunteering because the bar got incredibly busy.

Its location is great if you are fit and able-bodied as the walk to Looe or the beach is very long and steep which is not mentioned in the brochure (I'm not fit and struggled with both walks). Neither is a good description of where the paths begin, we ended up in a back field that was literally a rubbish dump. Some of the brochure is interesting such as giving details about local places but I would have preferred a digital version option to help with not printing too much. It definitely needs editing.

Recycling is mentioned but we could not find any recycling bins other than a small one by reception.

There was a small multi-use sports pitch that was used by many children throughout the time we were there. Kids club activities seemed to be enjoyed by some children and the staff were great with those that joined in.

Evening entertainment was what you would expect from a camp site of this sort. Bingo was popular. Daytime entertainment varied but there was a film on every afternoon. The games room had lots of machines that gave tickets although the number of tickets required for most of the prizes was excessive compared to arcades. Whenever there was a problem with the machines such as running out of tickets, the staff were very helpful.

The view from the meadow is stunning as is the view from several parts of the site so sitting outside is lovely.

Overall I think it's a family orientated site that has got a lot of potential.

Date of Visit: August 2019 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Nights stayed: 7 Travelling as:  Family with young children
Reviewer: Ruadhtagg 1 review from this member

Washing facilities and pool great for family visits. Plenty of machines and driers. Set pitches on terraces a little small and crowded so we opted for the field which meant a walk up to site but much more peaceful.

Icepacks freezing facility in shop was handy but some went missing however were replaced so not concerned. Didnt use clubhouse or play areas really. Wifi a little pricey and not great at the bottom of the field where we hid but overall a pleasant stay.

Talland bay nearby is the most magical little snorkelling cove complete with ships boiler on the rocks and was even nice on a rainy day at low tide for rockpooling. Cheap kayak rental there and a cave in the rocks to be seen if you paddle out.

Well situated for portwrinkle whick offers good rockpooling, and whitsand bay which is a nice sandy beach. Will be back to the area this year but trying a smaller conservation site this time.

Date of Visit: July 2019 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Nights stayed: 10 Travelling as:  Family with young children
Reviewer: Kiera2 1 review from this member

Very disappointed with this site.

Children running around other customers cars and property whilst staying here, loud music going on all night, no consideration for others

I've been coming here for a few years but this will be our last.

Date of Visit: July 2018 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: TheNeweyTribe 5 reviews from this member

After such an amazing holiday, this was the second to last stop on our tour of Cornwall, and oh what a disappointment. I can’t describe the situation as well as my wife so all I am going to do for this review is leave you with the email that we sent to their customer service team 2 days ago which we still haven’t had a reply from.

Dear Management at Tencreek Dolphin Holidays.

It is with regret that I have to write to you unfortunately with some concerns I have had whilst staying on your site. I have spoken to customer liaison manager/ officer on the park who has noted my comments but asked for me to email them to you.

We are experienced campers and have stayed on 9 camp sites in the last 3 months with the final 6 of them being in the past fortnight.

Of all the sites Tencreek was the most expensive per night. We didn’t mind paying more, this was one of only two sites that had everything we wanted and more. Pool, entertainment, shop, laundry, great location and a sea view. Sounds great right? Unfortunately what we faced was less than idyllic.

It was late when we arrived, about 7:15pm we had had a busy day in St Ives and then travelled to you. The check in process was fine and we pitched in bay 18. Been so late we decided to eat at Dino’s Diner. I ordered Margarita Pizza and a Basket of chips for approx £13. When ordering I was told that there would be a 40 min wait on food. (At this moment I considered going to the shop to buy the pizza and chips and cook them myself but I didn’t want to disappoint my children taking them away from the entertainment and I convinced myself that this pizza and chips would be much nicer) what came out of the kitchen was revolting, I am unsure how pizza and chips could be so disgusting, it was barely warm with a horrible ‘freezer’ taste. It appears that the pizza and chips I could have purchased in the shop for 1/3rd of the price was the same.

After this I was hangry and whilst the evening entertainment was dire I found the ‘yellow coat’ that was calling out card bingo and then not actually being able to recognise the cards to check back unprofessional- she later fell off of the stage and spent the rest of the evening looking for her belly bar ball whilst her colleague did the work???

Whilst enduring all of the above I also needed to put my daughters bedding to wash as she had wet the bed the night before. Having used the launderettes at the other sites several times during our holiday and always had a really quick turn around (40 mins for a wash, 30 mins for the dryer). The washing machine, to be fair worked as it should but the tumble dryer was awful.

To dry two sheets, two pillow cases, two duvet covers and Two sets of pjs it took 2. 5 hours (£10) I had followed all instructions had on normal heat and perm press and cleaned the lint drawer. Now if your dryers take that long to dry then fair enough but to charge at £1 for 15 minutes is disgusting for washing to be no where near dry after that time.

Washing saga over and I try to put my children aged 3 and 2 to bed at 22:30- in exiting the club house they are subjected to plumes of smoke at the exit from all of the smokers huddled just outside the only exit. Then the noise that was emitting from the disco meant bedtime was impossible, never mind the late night party goers who felt it necessary to shout/ scream/ sing on their way back to their vans. Now I am one for having a good time but where was the consideration from site management to turn the music down at 11 and not up? Where was site security to stop the rowdy crowds disturbing young families? And where was there a more suitable sheltered area for the smokers to use?

The next morning I looked forward to eating my breakfast outside and enjoying the sea views- (turns out I couldn’t actually see them from our pitch) but breakfast outside would be just as nice in the sunshine. It was then that I noticed that our pitch was disgusting. Lots of litter, Broken plastic all over the grass and used baby wipes and to make it worse DEAD MOUSE that must have been there for some days. It’s body had rotted.

It was at this point that we first spoke to who I believe was a customer liaison manager/ officer as she happened to pass by our motorhome. She was great, noted our concerns and agreed to get our pitch litter picked. I told her my concerns about the tumble dryer and she was pleased that we had spoken to her.

We explained that this was the worst kept site we had been on all summer, there was no pride in the pitches. We had been on another ‘all singing, all dancing’ site (Trevornick) and spoke about how nicely this site had been kept despite its large footfall of visitors. The simplest thing they did was to provide all customers with as many black bin liners as they would need for free. Ensuring that customers took pride in their site as much as the staff who worked there.

After speaking to your colleague our concerns we left for the day and she promised to have our pitch litter picked on our return and remove the rotting mouse. However, when returning to base, the mouse and baby wipes had gone but the broken plastic remained.

The following morning (wed 1st August) was our departure day we needed to empty our onboard toilet tank at the Elson point. When my husband arrived, he turned immediately round and brought back a full tank. What faced him was a serious breach of health and safety. There was faeces and urine all over the walls and floor that this would have had to have been walked in to get to the sink. This is due to a lack of a hose on the tap. Pardon en the pun but what a crap end to our already disappointing stay. The same lady we had spoken to the day before passed my husband on the way back from the Elson point and he informed of the mess it was in. This was the ONLY member of staff we saw during our 2 night stay. Where were the cleaners and site staff??

It is safe to say that we will never be returning to this run down and expensive hole. Which is a shame because we loved Looe but I know I can find a site that is run better, is looked after and is more customer friendly in the local area.

I hope to hear from you regarding my concerns. I am happy to speak with you further and discuss good practice that I have seen elsewhere.

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Teppin 9 reviews from this member

I've been staying here a few times a year for over a decade, camping and holiday caravan. The facilities have been updated way beyond their former standards. The two large shower/toilet blocks are very nice. A wide selection of cubicles and family bathrooms. They could do with a few more washing up sinks, but it's not too bad.

The shop is inevitably expensive, but the take away isn't. We avoid club houses and swimming pools, but they are as you'd expect. Being slightly out of town and uphill, the club house gets busy. The majority of the pitches are full at busy times, personally I find them a little noisy. We don't mind families, but groups that drink can get loud, like a lot of large sites.

When camping we stay in the Meadow, there are no hooks ups, but we don't use them. You can camp where you like and the views of the sea and Looe island are lovely. The meadow is also cheaper than the set pitches.

The site is open all year, so it's good to have the option. I get regular emails from the site offering last minute deals on caravans and pitches, you can get some real bargains.

If you don't mind this being a holiday campsite as opposed to a small site, go for it.

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Paulandsue 6 reviews from this member

Arrived Monday, the missus and our 8yo were subjected to a cold shower. Pots had to be washed in cold water. Tuesday am informed reception to the situation and was told the toilet block next to us was out of order. I mentioned that there were no signage to this affect, he said this would be sorted today. The signs never arrived.

Tuesday evening I stopped a lady with a clipboard doing inspections and asked what was happening and was dully fobbed off.

Fast forward Thursday evening signage gone up and we where kept awake till past midnight with work at in progress in the toilets. This consisted of a kango hammer braking out concrete. Glad we're leaving today.

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Static Rating:
Reviewer: Dange1952 1 review from this member

What a lovely place. Nearest site to Looe. Five minute drive to millpool car Park, then two minute walk into Looe. Campsite is spotless. Staff very friendly. Clubhouse has something for everyone. Very well stocked shop. Fantastic sea views.

The beaches are immaculate. Plenty of eatery's in Looe. Lots to visit on your doorstep, Polperro, fowey, Polruan, just a few. What more could you ask. We will definitely be visiting tencreek again.

Can't understand some of the negative reviews on here, take it from me it is perfect and I spent twenty years in the travel industry, so believe me I know what I am talking about.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Towner7679 7 reviews from this member

This is our third visit to this site, last one being in 2014. We decided to return as we were SO impressed with the shower block improvements, cleanliness of site etc.

While we enjoyed our stay this week, I don't think we will return for quite a while.

The site, unfortunately, seems to have turned into a residential touring park, with LOADS of permanent touring caravans. It was quite literally spot the tent on the site kind of holiday. Well in the ehu side anyway.

The shower blocks need some serious repair. While the one cleaning lady was there twice a day cleaning and replenishing loo roll and hand wash, the number of toilet cubicles that didn't have a loo roll dispenser or toilet seat for that matter was plenty!

The camp shop stocks various items at normal high site prices, they will freeze your freezer blocks at 40p per block.

The site is in a brilliant spot with fantastic views, but it has definitely let itself go a bit.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Tracyaowen 1 review from this member

This campsite has a beautiful view over Looe. The staff were friendly and there were plenty of amenities. The shower block was warm and regularly cleaned however if you want privacy or enough room you have to use the family cubicle and the slight gap in the door allows people to see you on the toilet!

I hung up a coat to cover the gap. The door was missing from one toilet and the toilet roll holders were the ones that you pull and get one piece out. The roll regularly breaks off so that even though there is plenty you can't get the paper out!

The walks into town or to the nearest beach are downhill but you don't realise just how steep the roads are until you're walking back up!

The club was dark but the free wi-fi was great unless the club was busy. There was no outdoor seating which means the smokers are all hanging around the steps and those of us with dogs had to take it in turns going in the arcade with the kids.

The 'dog field' is just a small area of grass that has been banked on 3 sides by a slightly higher wall of grass. One side is completely open so no off-lead walking. Whenever we went to walk the dogs there was usually a bunch of kids playing rounders on it.

The launderette is small with only a few washers and driers, several of which were out of order. The football pitch area was very good with high fences.

The shop is very small with a lot of empty shelves and the swimming pool was adequate.

Unfortunately it rained on our 4th day and most of the other campers seemed to sit in their tents drinking and shouting at each other which was ok until there was shouting coming from 3 different tents at 1:15am! There must not have been any camp patrols as they were not told to be quiet.

The tent/camper pitches felt very close to each other and this, with the rain forcing my husband to sit in the Campervan for hours on end with 2 wet dogs, caused us to pack up and go home 2 days early!

Would not return.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sue@home 10 reviews from this member

Love this site, a short 30 min run from home, ideal for a few days R&R, Staff are always friendly and accommodating. Shower/toilet block is one of the best we've ever found.

The Castaways is great for food and drink but if you want a truly proper pub meal try the Jubilee Inn at Pelynt, a quick drive away. Nice flat pitches.

Previous     81 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other Sites Near Looe      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cornwall (East)

UKCS Meet Paws in the Park 14/09 to 15/09, Kent
Enjoy two days access to the dog show, free parking, free evening entertainment and a campsite right next to the showground ...more