Reviews of Royal Umpire Caravan Park

Campsite Search > UK > England > North West > Lancashire > Preston > Royal Umpire Caravan Park Reviews

Royal Umpire Caravan Park

Open: 01/01/2021 to 31/12/2021
           01/01/2022 to 31/12/2022

No Tents   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Small Campervans
 Glamping Units   No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point   Wifi Access
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <1 mile
 Fishing <5 miles   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool <5 miles   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   No Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   Tennis <5 miles
 Beach <10 miles   Watersports <10 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  119 in total, now showing 21 to 30                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Mark26 22 reviews from this member

Just returned from a bank holiday weekend at this site. Pitch good size with space for van and awning on hardstanding and small grass area to side. 20 deposit for shower block which is refunded on return of key. Mens showers did get dirty after morning rush, but was cleaned. Kids play area was good and my 2 (boy 10 girl 6) loved it. A rural site with pub across road. Not much else. Would I return? been told to say yes by the kids, they loved it. Good weekend had by all.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Jneil 1 review from this member

Just returned from a bank holiday weekend camping at this site and I'm completely shattered, had 2 out of 3 nights of constantly broken sleep, yes we attended the live band marquee event and we expected some noise, we didn't expect it to last all night. I gave up trying to sleep at 5:10am Sunday morning as drunken young couples hurled abuse at each other and pick up trucks sped around the site in search of each other. At one point on the monday morning we actually feared for our lives as drunken youths at 1am decided to turn the gravel track around the camp site into a rally and hand brake turn track as fireworks were being fired above our tents. It took a group of grown up campers with families which some had armed themselves to bring this under control by the way of a vigilante group. The campsite is advertised as a family site and there were plenty of families attending but we feel more could have been done to avoid the noise and alcohol fuelled problems. Simple on site security patrols would have solved it especially at event weekends. I must say on a better note the site in general is very good our children enjoyed the park facilities and our dog was welcome, the showers and toilets were well maintained and the staff very helpfully when needed. It's just a shame that again a few spoilt it for the majority if it is a family site then keep it that way.

Date of Visit: March 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Missarahmlee@hotmai 21 reviews from this member

Visited in Easter holidays with two kids 6 and 11 and would say it was acceptable for the price.

Location is rural, pleasant, level and dry and surrounded by fields.

Site clean and tidy with individual numbered pitches arranged in rows separated by hedges.

A lot of seasonal pitches with the usual clutter of solar lights and plastic planters.

Friendly welcome on arrival and assistance with pitching.

Large play area for kids and dog exercise area.

Two for One pub within walking distance of site with nice staff and The Elephant a slightly posher Indian restaurant a short drive away.

Enjoyable trips out to Southport, Brockholes wildlife park - good carvery lunch, Worden park a chance find with free mini steam railway rides on Sundays, Bygone times antiques barn and Heskin Hall arts and crafts centre

Downsides - key entry to toilets and showers - a pain in the neck to remember to take it with you and didn't keep kids out of the facilities.

Not enough hot water to feed the showers - get there early. Nicer wet rooms by reception if you don't mind the walk.

2 of the ladies toilets didn't flush then the others ran out of paper but this was a busy Easter weekend.

Some unpleasant behaviour and language from groups of unsupervised children but not enough to worry about. My 6 year old played quite happily with other kids but - although there were no incidents - my 11 year old found some of the groups of girls intimidating and I entered the shower block at 10.30 one night to find 3 teenagers sitting on the floor - have not encountered this sort of thing before on any other site.

Date of Visit: November 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: REDMEN12345 1 review from this member

Tried my first caravan outing at this site as its local to me.

Greeted by friendly, informative office staff and shown where pitch was on a map.

Note 20 refundable deposit required for barrier key.

Park warden is situated near to entrance, clearly signposted, very helpful when I kept tripping electric.

Quite a lot of 'residents' vans as you enter but all seem friendly and helpful.

First half of site is tarmaced and well kept.

Bottom half is stone with a few potholes. These pitches seem less well kept and some quite small.

There is a lovely sunken garden on entrance and a very nice, if small park, looks like the few children on site were having a ball. This was quite muddy due to the rain.

There are 2 toilet blocks, 1 near the entrance and a larger 1 in the middle of the site.

Both seemed quite clean until I went round to the dish washing area. The windows and sills were covered with muddy football marks and dead flies.

These were there for 2 days, Thurs and Fri and then got cleaned at the weekend, Sat.

Minor point, but something that could put people off.

Showers lovely and warm and clean.

There is a 'wigwam' on site which I was invited to look at by the warden (I think), I was told they may be getting more.

Camping field is quite large with a road across it. Nobody on the field, probably due to the bad weather.

There is a good 2 for 1 type pub across the road from the site, with plenty of other pubs close by.

No shop on site which I feel is a loss as the nearest shop is the Londis garage 1/2 mile away.

Leyland and Chorley are within easy reach by car and well worth a visit as they both have large supermarkets.

There are no eating facilities on site, however, I was told that there is usually a burger van on site? Minor point again, I would have loved someone to cook breakfast for me while I was packing up.

Site was very quiet while I was there, though it did get busier at weekend as you would expect.

A nice site, well kept in a lovely area, worth visiting, but please open a shop and clean the flies off the windows.

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Litt7ebu977 1 review from this member

We stayed here in September. What a lovely camp site with a very helpful warden. We are a family of 3 with a small baby, the facilities were superb with and baby/disabled shower room. The toilet blocks and showers were very clean and tidy. The play area was brilliant for children.

Would recommend this site. Very quite and friendly, in a good location with plenty of things to do. Nice pub at the top of the road with good quality food.

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Dexyblue 1 review from this member

We got back from a weekend here last night, 16 Adults and children in total booked 4 tents plus electric for 2 nights but when we arrived it cost us a further 80 for toilet key/barrier key and they had not booked us on electric pitches as per booking. We were directed to a big muddy(in parts) field with geese roaming loose. When the person who booked the trip arrived and queried the electric pitches and had an argument we were told all electric pitches were fully booked but there was 2 hook ups over a fence near the cow sheds so we had to make do with these 2 hook ups for 4 tents. NEVER again, caters more for seasonal caravans, think tents are an after thought at this site.

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Howard95 4 reviews from this member

Have been several times to this site and have noticed a deterioration in the behaviour on the site. There are far too many loose dogs on the site which are supposed to be on a lead - rule not enforced at all. Children are unsupervised by their parents well after dark and riding bikes at speed around the site - where is the warden? Cars are parked with no consideration for others and it was virtually impossible to get our caravan off the site. We seem to be one of the few who actually removed dog faeces from the dog area which was immaculate when we arrived.

Toilet facilities good as usual and staff always friendly.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Stevo61 1 review from this member

We have just had a great weekend the park has been very flexible when we had to cancel and change the weekend due to the weather !

The staff have gone that extra mile when I lost my mobile phone a special thank you to Joe for retrieving it for me.

We were a group of 12 adults and 1 child the entertainment that was laid on at an extra cost of 5 was well worth it because we have seen very little of the child that was with us, she has had a ball.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Motorhomefun 22 reviews from this member

We have come to Royal Umpire for a long weekend tagged onto a full week away elsewhere. We still have one night to go and I feel compelled to write this before we have even left and if it wasn't for having children with me we would have gone home today!

When we arrived we were told that the lock would be taken off the toilet doors as they had run out of keys due to being so busy. Not great as this meant that due to there being no other inside facility, this became the gathering point for everyone and anyone.

The toilet floors were filthy, toilets full, dirty and not flushing, wine glasses and beer bottles around, stinking of cigarette smoke and generally people loitering making going to the loo a very uncomfortable experience for me and my family.

That then brings me onto the showers, what a mess, blocked drains, full of hair, dirty nappies, paper towels, broken windows. Again disgusting all round and so glad we had the fall back of our own onboard facilities.

When we booked we asked to be near the toilet facilities for health reasons (I had a broken foot) this was honoured and we were given the pitch right next to the toilet block, which would have been fine except we then became the cut through pitch for people going to the washing up area and family bathroom.

In face our view was directly into the family bathroom. This is nothing that a bit of waffle fencing wouldn't sort out and would mean no cut across and privacy for us and those in the bathroom.

We even had our pitch used as parking for the toilet blocks on several occasions with vehicles playing loud music. I could carry this on as the experience was awful but my final point which I think sums up the experience is a note on the communal freezer thanking the 'scumbags' for steeling the entire contents of meals they had placed in there.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Jayandpam 2 reviews from this member

Arrived 01/08/12 for 5 nights left after 3rd night

Could not stay any longer. We had to pay 20. 00 for shower key that we didn't need due to locks removed. Showers far too hot for me and the kids

No shop on site. Burger van that opens on weekends, ice cream van comes round everyday. Loud shouting and lots of beer drinking through the night from other campers,

We had an electric pitch by a large muddy patch, had to make do close to the edge with cars going past doing more than 10 mph (5mph speed limit)

Tractors and other large vehicles go fast on the tracks so had to get the kids out the way fast.

Shower block floor was always flooded as was washing up area,

Me and my wife didn't find this site suitable for our children with foul language and drunken behaviour through out the night.

The park was ok but very muddy

The good point was the time we left and will not be going back there again.

Previous     119 Reviews in total, now showing 21 to 30      Next

Write a Review of this Site to Win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Is Royal Umpire Caravan Park child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Royal Umpire Caravan Park?  There is a shop within 1 mile  View all facilities

Is Royal Umpire Caravan Park dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Preston      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Lancashire

UKCS Meet Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show 13/01 to 16/01
Largest selection of caravans, motorhomes and holiday homes in the North of England ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021