Reviews of Royal Umpire Caravan Park

Campsite Search > UK > England > North West > Lancashire > Preston > Royal Umpire Caravan Park Reviews

Royal Umpire Caravan Park

Open: 01/01/2021 to 31/12/2021
           01/01/2022 to 31/12/2022

No Tents   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Small Campervans
 Glamping Units   No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point   Wifi Access
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <1 mile
 Fishing <5 miles   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool <5 miles   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   No Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   Tennis <5 miles
 Beach <10 miles   Watersports <10 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  119 in total, now showing 31 to 40                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Peteandlins 2 reviews from this member

Can't write much about this site as I'm too tired having been kept up most of the night by other campers effing and jeffing at the top of their voices and playing loud music until 2(?) in the morning.

As previously said the toilet block is a disgrace, it felt like going into a downtown ghetto when I went to the loo with all the people hanging around outside it.

I would rather camp on a motorway roundabout than ever return here.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Heebeeteejees 1 review from this member

23-25 August 2012 (Bank Holiday)

FREE FOR ALL

This is a site of 2 halves - the superior and the not! We were in the water-logged field, our stuff got wrecked still cleaning things 2 days later. We arrived to an empty field but a rally parked next to us, screamin kids & yapping dogs.

The warden was friendly enough coming rescuing people with a tractor but the field we were on needs attention, you can't just hand out some hay when it gets that bad.

Toilets were bit of a distance from us on the field - the block was nearest to the hard standing. It was used like a salon by teenagers in pjs & rollers charging mobiles in the only 2 plug sockets, washing babies in the sink you name it!

Then when we couldn't use our caravan loo I desperately, I went across and it was 'shut for cleaning' for an hour 12-1 daily. Some people where treating it like animals to be quite honest.

The marquee at night was supposed to be a welcome relief from the rain but I didn't expect kids n dogs under foot, up to midnight no parents to be seen people steppin on my feet, spilling rum down my arm - we were a group of 4 adults having a drink & could smell weed around so I think that was unacceptable. Kids were playing in the trees all day running riot but there was a playground nearer the hard-standing.

Overall, it was a shame for the tents / caravans on the field we were on.

It could be a lovely site - the location is ok with a 2-for-1 pub yards away (Highfield) which can get busy for food. The Rose & Crown (Marstons pub) is only 0. 5m and Londis (Texaco garage) 10-15 min walk.

I would have to say never again - I've seen better at Reading & Glastonbury. Remember to pack your wellies & earplugs!

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Leezoenat3080 2 reviews from this member

We visited this site last year and left a very positive review.

In 12 months the site seems to have changed a bit.

There are still a lot of very friendly 'residents' who go out of their way to make you welcome.

There is now a Wigwam on site which the warden let us have a look in while she was cleaning it.

The play area is still very good, especially the tyre swing (sneak on it when the kids are away, it's great fun).

A new road has been put across the camping field making it more accessible.

The garden at the entrance is a bit untidy but the gardener was in the middle of cutting everything back and tidying it up.

A lot of trees between pitches have been cut back making it feel more open and tidier.

Showers and toilets clean but be aware closing times vary between weekends and weekdays. They seem to be closed earlier and longer during the week than at weekends, which seems strange when the site was very busy at weekend with a 'loud' music festival on, but very quiet during the week?

There is a good Londis shop within 1/2 mile of the site for basics. Leyland and Chorley are both a short car ride away and both worth a visit. Try Chorley market on Tuesday, it's very good.

All in all still a very nice site undergoing some renovation.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Canvascomfort 3 reviews from this member

I booked 3 nights at this site to break our journey back up to Scotland from Devon. We arrived around 6. 30pm on the Saturday night from Devon and it was the warden who issued our pass to us and key to the toilet. I got a shock when I was asked for a £20 deposit for the barrier pass and key, especially as I hadnt brought any cash - opting to find the site then go and stock up with some supplies. I explained this and she was absolutely fine with it. She mentioned to me that there was a music festival on that weekend and I was a little miffed as this wasn't mentioned to me when I called them to book 2 days before. I didn't really have any problem with this but it would've been an issue for others perhaps visiting the site for rest, peace and quiet. As it happened, the music was excellent and although we didn't attend the festival, we were entertained by listening to the excellent bands from our tent. It ended around 12. 30am and it was silent for the rest of the night, so there was absolutely no problems with noise for us. The pitches are excellent on the site with plenty of space and they are nice and flat too. The toilet and shower blocks are spotlessly clean and hot water is always available. The dishwashing facility is excellent and its actually a bit of a pleasure to use as its in a conservatory type building. The kids playpark is fantastic and I have to admit to playing on the rather excellent tyre roundabout with my son and daughter. We were advised that the nearest shop is a garage or a Co-op in the nearby village, but I have to recommend that you visit Leyland. Its about a 10 minute drive (if that) and there are all the mainstream shops and supermarkets as well as an excellent commercial vehicle museum. The tesco extra is enormous and is a 24 hour shop too. Well worth the slightly extra fuel rather than paying over the odds in the local garage that is well stocked but rather expensive if on a budget (as most of us are nowadays). I cannot fault this site. Its very well kept and reminds me of some of the Eurocamp sites albeit without the dry hot weather, but we cant have it all unfortunately. One very small niggle and not a fault of the site. We were pitched along a row of 1 camper van next to us and around 4 metres space, then on the Sunday a family decided to pitch a tent less than 2 metres from our tent - pretty much over lapping our pitch. Now if it was busy then fair enough, but there were NO units at the other side of them and the whole duration of our stay nothing else came in and pitched next to them, so they had no reason to be so close to us. It didn't spoil our time here as in fairness they weren't noisy or antisocial in anyway, I just feel they were a little too close to our tent for comfort.

Would I return? Absolutely. Next time I might even attend the music festival. A brilliant, well run, well kept site.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Billsparty 1 review from this member

I have never placed a review before but have always placed much stock into the views of others, and it is because of this that I am compelled to respond to the criticism of this campsite by the previous reviewer.

I have visited this site frequently over the past few months and have always found toilet facilities spotless, be it midweek or weekend.

Over the weekend that has been reviewed I will admit that the toilets and showers were below par, however, from what I observed, the cleaners were there frequently and it was more to do with the bad weather and 'ignorant' clientèle that this occurred.

The idea of a fence between the plot next to the showers and the shower block does seem a good idea as the children do seem to be allowed to roam anywhere (is this the campsites fault or the parents)

I would say that the park warden was very visible in trying to move the children on from the toilet area and the park (what time should they be allowed to be out unsupervised by their parents)

As for the stealing of food from the freezer, you cannot blame the campsite for this as this is a facility reliant on honesty.

In essence, I would have to say that the site is normally very clean with very helpful staff no matter what time of day of the week. The previous reviewer seems to have had very bad experience to which they are obviously allowed their opinion, but this, as I see it is not the norm, especially out of the school holiday season.

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: CatAndNett 8 reviews from this member

Went with some friends on our first ever family camping trip to this site, on jubilee weekend 2012. Had heard of it from the people we bought our tent off, they'd just had a weekend there and said it was good for kids, so we went there. They'd had some rain in the weekend before we got there, and the site was really really boggy in some parts. We drove down to the bottom field and managed to find an ok pitch, not too far from water tap and portaloos.

The facilities were ok-there were better ones in the top field, a proper block with showers etc, but just 2 lots of portaloos where we were. Would have been more than ample, except one block was locked up and unusable for the duration of our stay, which meant that everyone in the field was using the same set. This, coupled with muddy fields, made for really mucky and slippy floors in the cabins. They were cleaned out regularly though. We didn't use the showers in the main block, so cant really comment on those.

There was some kind of entertainment going on in the marquee, which sounded ok, but we didn't go in there. All was quiet from there at 11pm. There was a kids play area at the top of the top field, which was always really busy-our kids mostly just made their own entertainment.

One afternoon the generator went down and none of the loos would flush. We walked up to reception to ask when they were expected to be fixed, as we had small children in need of using them, and the receptionist was actually quite blunt, and less than helpful. We asked to speak to the manager, and she told us she didn't know where he was and we'd have to find him to speak to him. We never found him.

We had a drive to Southport, a nice walk along the seafront (although you cant actually see the sea lol) it was a nice couple of hours out.

There is a chain restaurant opposite the rear entrance to the site, cant remember which brand though, maybe Brewers Fayre or something similar? We had lunch in there after packing up, before setting off home. We had a nice meal at a reasonable price, wish we had thought about it the evening before, for tea.

All in all, an ok commercial site, with ok facilities at an ok price. Horses for courses I guess, but not our kind of site and wouldn't choose to go there again.

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Mum of 2 1 review from this member

Just spent a fantastic weekend at this site with my 3 year old an she hasnt stopped talking about it to anyone who will listen. This was only our second time camping so was a little worried things might not go very well or id forget something so stayed local.

Glad I picked this site as the staff were very friendly and helpful, my friend decided to join us here on the friday and as a first time camper he got a little worried after his son had been out of sight for an hour or so, we found a member of staff (site manager I think) who drove round the site with my friend until he found his son. We were very grateful for this.

I spoke to a few people who have caravans on the site and they couldn't have been more friendly or helpful with information, one even showed me where her caravan was an said if I needed anything to knock on her door and she would help me out, as a newbie I hadnt realised just how friendly campers could be and thought perhaps site regulars may have been a bit stand-offish, defo not the case here.

The site is very large with one main shower block which was always clean and fully stocked with soap and loo roll, there is also a smaller block just beside reception which I'm told is new and wasn't as busy as the main one. Dish wash room had around 8 sinks so no queuing to washup and also a freezer for iceblocks which was very handy, site also has a small laundry room which means next time I can pack less clothes for the little one.

The playpark on site was great for my 3 year old, she was there most of the day, slept soundly every night ( slept later in the morning than she does at home ).

As it was jubilee weekend there was entertainment on in the marque, I didn't go along but sounded like they were having a lot of fun in there and the singing didn't stop me from having a good nights sleep. There is a fantastic little pub just outside the site, we ate here every night as I have to pack light due to camping by public transport, meals were not expensive and plentiful for us, and playpark and softplay to keep kids entertained whilst waiting for there meals. The only downside to the site for me is the fact there is no shop on site, the closest being a very expensive garage a 15min walk away from the site. A shop for us poor campers who cant bring all our supplies with us would be great.

The only bad point I had with this site was the camper who brought there dog along with them and thought it was ok to allow the dog out around the park on its own, barking at people as they come out of there tents at night (scared my daughter to the point of tears), I did mention this to a member of staff ( park manager again I think) who said he would look out for the dog the following night. Didn't hear the dog that night.

So all in all as a new camper I was very happy with this site and will be going back again very soon.

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Holly henderson 1 review from this member

I am only 10 but I loved it especially because there were horses, plus the park was just absolutely fabulous. The tyre swing, I was never off it.

I enjoyed it. it is very clean and tidy and has a lovely shower block and garden. I met lots of friends it was also very quiet too (that was the good thing)

The only thing that scared me was in the garden, there was a lot of ponds and the big one was very deep but my sister was playing tripped over her shoe and fell in face first and now I am scared of water.

But also the people there were very friendly and helpful.

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Smedley 3 reviews from this member

Found the touring end of the site very disorganised and the tents so close together. The touring field had a rally going on, this was not a problem.

There were quite a few younger people with tents and there cars blasted out loud music all night into the small hours of the morning, not amused.

During the day children were being driven round on the campsite tractor and trailer used for rubbish collections, is this the norm or even allowed I asked myself.

Dogs in abundance with lots roaming free with their owners, dog dirt on our pitch and the two pitches either side of us.

Toilets closed for three hours and the ladies had a fire with the hairdryer.

Not impressed, will not be coming again.

Date of Visit: April 2012 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Louise_D 9 reviews from this member

We did not explore facilities on or off site as we were only there for one night. The toilet/shower block was warm and clean with plenty of hot water.

We were given clear instructions where to park by very pleasant staff. Not much room between units and rows which caused problems when cars could not park beside caravans with awnings and were on the road making it difficult to manoeuvre into place and we have a small unit.

Husband liked the breakfast bacon roll from the burgher bar which was open at the weekend. Given voucher with discount for next visit.

Key deposit £20.

Previous     119 Reviews in total, now showing 31 to 40      Next

Is Royal Umpire Caravan Park child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Royal Umpire Caravan Park?  There is a shop within 1 mile  View all facilities

Is Royal Umpire Caravan Park dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Preston      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Lancashire

UKCS Meet Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show 13/01 to 16/01
Largest selection of caravans, motorhomes and holiday homes in the North of England ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021