Visitor Reviews - Burns Farm Caravan And Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Site Reviews

Burns Farm Caravan And Campsite
St Johns In The Vale
(lake District)
Keswick
Cumbria   (Browse area)
CA12 4RR

This site has an availability calendar. You can check for availability here

Open: March To November

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Glamping Units
 Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   Wifi Access
 Fishing 5 miles   Wild Swimming 1 mile   Indoor Pool 5 miles   Outdoor Pool 5 miles
 Horse Riding 5 miles   Cycle Hire 5 miles   Golf 1 mile   Tennis 5 miles
 Beach 5 miles   Watersports 5 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring 5 miles
 No Sea Views   Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Not Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 1 mile  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  106 in total, now showing 21 to 30                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Macuser 2 reviews from this member

Stayed here several times now. Usually in tent but this time in camper van. Emailed and phoned several sites in the area from midweek hoping to find a space - with this being August Bank Holiday Weeknd I wasn't surprised to struggle and resigned myself to a spot of wild camping or double driving from home each day.

How pleased was I to then get another email reply from Linda to say she would manage to fit me in after all? Brilliant!

Arrived at noon Saturday and left Monday - an absolute bargain at just over 30 for 'van plus 2 adults with EHU (inc' my dog too at no extra fee unlike many sites)

Never seen the site as busy as it was this weekend and yes, if you went to the showers at peak time you may have had a short wait. And if you went in just after peak time you may have noticed a wet & dirty floor. But you had to be quick because the floor and shower block was soon cleaned by either of the two very helpful Lindas, who were both constantly in attendance throughout the weekend.

Used the alternate shower block for the first time on this visit - slightly more dated but perfectly clean and well maintained and V hot water too.

Disappointed to see so many people had failed to separate their recycling and just dumped so much into the general bins - only takes a minute and helps keep the bins from getting as full and environment as damaged. Thats nowt to do with the site though - they provide plenty of recycling options. Speaking of bins - they were even emptied today - a bank holiday!

This campsite is ideally placed for pretty much all the N Lakes by vehicle, and closer at hand there's a super little walk up to Tewit Tarn just a few hundred metres away or to The Castlerigg Stone circle a little further on. Keswick can be reached on foot within about a 90 minutes gentle, flat & traffic free walk and for the super fit, Blencathra summit is less than an hours run.

Didn't use the local pubs on this occasion as we are easily able to fetch all our provisions from home (only 30 mins drive). To the best of my knowledge there's no nearby shops so you would be best stop in Penrith on your way there, or call into Keswick.

I have noticed a brand new, fantastically well designed coffee shop building in the centre of the village (adjacent to public WCs). The rear is hidden from the street but has a terrace looking straight across toward Clough Head and Threlkeld Knotts. Gotta be worth checking out to see if the brew matches the location

Cant really say much about the suitability for kids but I noticed some lads playing footy in a set of goal posts and lots of ballgames going on generally, and also plenty of little 'uns cycling around the grassy level site, so I don't think there's any shortage on this front.

So would I go back to Burns Farm? Absolutely! In fact if I wasn't busy elsewhere next weekend I'd be there again then

Reviewer: Haswell88 8 reviews from this member

Visited Keswick on a spur of the moment weekend away, the first site we arrived at resembled a festival/refugee camp, people piled high with tents on top of one another. After going back to the drawing board we found Burns farm which was also busy but the owners were able to offer us a pitch. The site itself has good size pitches and the toilets were reasonably clean given it was an incredibly busy weekend. The views from our pitch were excellent and the overall experience is good enough for me to return. My only recommendation would be to have the bins emptied a little more often at busy times as they were full to the brim and a little smelly although you only noticed when walking past. There was a little road noise but not enough to cause an inconvenience.

Reviewer: Kacciemay 1 review from this member

Site was nice and flat, close to Keswick which was good. Plenty of hot water and enough pan wash stations. Toilets are in two blocks, one on the campsite itself and one across the road on the farm. I only used the campsite ones as didn't wish to cross the road with the little one, as he then might have tried it on his own :-(

The ladies block on site had only three wash hand basins, three showers and four toilets, although mostly clean and tidy, few cobwebs etc, (but with plenty of loo roll!) and plenty of hot water, there were queues :-( - can't comment much on the men's only to say my partner had to wait to shower each day too.

Friendly owners :-)

Not a massive site, two sections on grass and one section hard pitch - this section was closest to the toilet block - used by caravaners mostly. All in all a good site.

Reviewer: Gill Ford 9 reviews from this member

Lovely site we could go any where we wanted -we had hook up and were told where the sun was at different times of the day so could chose sun am or pm or all day. Keswick has a really good supermarket in Booths- very good salads and fresh food and plenty of options for the camper. And is only a 10 min drive away (it also has a co-op but not much choice) I could do a round walk with my dog early doors some off lead and some on. And Castle Rigg circle is a short walk away. Toilets and showers clean even after D O E. Okay it is a working farm and they sheared the sheep whilst we were there but that just added another element and it didn't bother us at all even though the shed was behind our tent and lets admit it's just part of the lake district life. We will stay again, just hope we will be as lucky with the weather as we were this year!

Reviewer: Nettyjam1 6 reviews from this member

With it being the first day of the school holidays (19th), I thought it would be best to book for 3 nights for a friend & myself. I've been to this site before with my husband. It is a gorgeous site with great facilities. The showers are hot (maybe too hot for children), the toilets are clean & have plenty of loo roll. We stayed on the smaller field, non ehu and there was only a couple of other tents. It was raining but warm when we were pitching up. The site started to fill up a bit on the Saturday night/Sunday morning. There was some kind of convention on in Keswick & there was quite a few people camping for that (with huge tents)! The weather was fantastic. Wish I didn't have to come home. I will definitely return over & over again

Reviewer: Lorraine75 3 reviews from this member

Just back from a great 8 nights on this lovely working farm campsite. The facilities are clean, the toilets and shows do get busy but I did not have to wait very long for them to become free. The water is really hot (I would say the hottest I've had on a camp site) our pitch was a great size - we have quite a big tent and still had space to sit outside the views are breath taking and there are lots of walks you can do straight off the site. Linda was very welcoming when we arrived she walks around the site each morning to check all is ok. I would recommend this site to other campers!

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Totts 3 reviews from this member

We had first of all booked here for 2 nights but stayed 3, and we were tempted to stay an extra night, this site is fantastic mrs lamb is lovely and so helpful and friendly. The showers are red hot and very spacious. I would recommend this site big time. We will definitely be going back. The views are amazing and just down the road you can pick up the pld railway line into keswick and cycle or walk it, also very handy for some good walks.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Kerjemma 4 reviews from this member

We stayed here after reading the reviews on this website, and a recommendation from a friend. We were making the most of a good weather forecast and decided to do some Wainwrights near Keswick, and chose to stay over for one night rather than travel back the same day. Booking via email was very easy.

Our planned walk took longer than we expected, and we didn't arrive at the camp site until 6pm. The owner was very friendly when we called to check in and pay, and just told us to pitch where ever we liked. As it was so late on a very sunny day, the camp site was already busy, and there was only one spot around the edge of the camping field left, right near the entrance. We could have pitched further in, but we prefer the privacy that an edge spot provides. I like that you can park next to your pitch, we actually used our car as a bit of a wind break as it was very windy. The views are lovely, panoramic views of the fells! The ground was a bit stony, but nothing too bad.

The facilities were good, nice and warm with hot (free!) showers, which were very welcome after a busy day walking. Not masses of toilets/showers for the size of the site, I imagine on a bank holiday you may have to queue at peak times, but it was fairly busy that night, and we had no problems. I like that they leave a mop and bucket so people can tidy up after themselves! My only minor niggle was a lack of toilet paper in one of the cubicles when I visited a couple of times. Maybe an extra roll in the cubicle would be a good idea?

We had a nice meal out in Keswick, and returned to the site settling down for the night around 1030, it was lovely and peaceful.

Unfortunately, we were rudely awakened at 215am by some drunk people returning to the camp site in a taxi, having ridiculously loud conversations and slamming car/van doors for around 45mins. Needless to say this was not the campsites fault, but it did put a minor dampener on our otherwise very peaceful stay. It is a shame that a minority of people manage to ruin it for so many others.

We will definitely be returning to the campsite in the future, as it was fantastic value and really well located for walking and for Keswick town centre, but we may avoid Saturday night next time, and stick to visits in the week in the hope of a good nights sleep!

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Stuartandjulie 8 reviews from this member

Just bought a caravan and wanted somewhere local for one night just to check everything out, and this site is only 30 minutes from home.

Nice peaceful site with friendly staff and owners.

Shower/toilet block clean but showers could do with a shelf to put soap/shampoo etc. And maybe some sort of mat on the floor. Showers are the push button type.

There is a laundry room on site (key held at reception) but we didn't need to use it.

Site is level and spacious

Reviewer: Arcadia 11 reviews from this member

Delighted with our recent stay at this site. The facilities were more than adequate during our stay and we never needed to queue once. Staff friendly & helpful, even allowing us to stay later on our last day as sun was forecast so we had a dry pack up.

As mentioned previously the views are great as was the walk along the C2C into Keswick. Didn't have enough time to see all we would like to in this beautiful area so will definitely be back.

Previous     106 Reviews in total, now showing 21 to 30      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cumbria

Win a 299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win a Holiday at Woolacombe Bay Holiday Park

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire