Visitor Reviews - Burns Farm Caravan And Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Site Reviews

Burns Farm Caravan And Campsite

Fishing <5 miles   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool <5 miles   Outdoor Pool <5 miles
 Horse Riding <5 miles   Cycle Hire <5 miles   Golf <1 mile   Tennis <5 miles
 Beach   Watersports <5 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring <5 miles
 Waterside Location   Dog Walk   Public Transport <1 mile

Reviews:  104 in total, now showing 37 to 42                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18

Write your own Review wo win a 150 Amazon Voucher!!

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Refrodders 4 reviews from this member

We too stayed over the Jubilee Weekend, arriving on the Friday as a group booking of 4 tents. Whilst we were greeted well and shown to our pitch by the owner, it became obvious that the planning was haphazard to say the least. Those round the sides had ample room, and spread out into the access road area for seating. Up the middle, where we were, the pitching started at the bottom and we were cramped up close to other tents and cars. I ended up moving my car off the site to ensure we had a modicum of space. Even bearing this in mind, one of our cars was wedged in for the weekend until a group below us left on Sunday.

Privacy was limited, and I would say it did matter that there was no spare room for the kids, as they weaved in and out of our tents, into our cars, and through our central area. At the bottom of the field the feeling was one of being squashed in beyond what was comfortable or expected at 30 per night, bearing in mind the limited facilities.

For those who went to the Keswick Ale Festival all day it wasn't much of a bind I suppose, but if you were adults wanting to relax, it was compromised somewhat by the cramped nature of the pitches. If there had been an emergency of any sort at the bottom of the field, the emergency services simply would not have been able to gain access.

The facilities are quite simply too few in number, showers were running all day, and generally someone was queuing for a shower whenever you went. Hot water was constant though, and the cleanliness was of a high standard.

There is no facility within a couple of miles for purchasing food etc, so be prepared, although being in a non EHU spot meant we had no fridges with us.

The setting is absolutely gorgeous, and gives a superb backdrop, surely the best feature of the site.

Generally noise levels were not too bad considering the numbers of people on site, although with no time limit on returning to the site we were woken a couple of times in the early hours by 'revellers' from the Ale Festival!

In my opinion Linda needs to decide on what she wants the campsite to be, a casual group setting, who only sleep and breakfast on site, or one offering a decent amount of organisation and space for those wanting to relax on site.

Quite simply, the prices are on a par with most other sites in the area, but others offer more showers and toilets per head, shop facilities nearby or on site, and pitches marked out giving proper and safe access and living space to all campers. At present I think the owner wants to cram as many people in as possible on Bank Holidays and not bother too much on her guests comfort.

It felt as though the earlier you got there, the worse your pitch despite you paying more than other people. I would stay again, but not on a Bank Holiday.

Date of Visit: September 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Wenham 2 reviews from this member

We stayed here last year the site is lovely the showers and toilets are spottless. The lady who runs it and all the people are really friendly. We will definitely be using this site again, we have a little dog and we went into keswick and most of the shops are dog friendly I was in a shoe shop and the man serving said to my husband bring her in which most of the shops let you take your dog in. There is the stone circle not far from the site which is worth a visit really nice views from here. The campsite was quite busy when we went but we didn't run into any problems during our stay

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: The LB 15 reviews from this member

Very good basic site good size pitches showers are clean and tidy. Owners very helpful the views are excellent with blencathra and skiddaw in full view.

No shop on site but threlkeld village about a mile away or keswick 3 miles away.

Excellent walking area done catbells and howtown to glenridding also walk to stone circle from site.

Good pubs in village and in keswick. Overall site and area spot on. Also no playground on site but kids always find things to do.

Site not big but big enough for me.

Went to grasmere for day very nice village with shops and bistros.

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: GarethLooker 2 reviews from this member

This was my third time here which probably speaks volumes in itself! First two times in a tent, last time in a caravan (having seen the forecast for heavy rain!).

Good points:

1) Brilliant location - easy access to mountains and Keswick

2) Really nice landlady

3) Much more than adequate showers, toilets, bins, water and waste.

4) Wi-Fi available (10 for a week)

Not so good points:

1) Some pitches can get very wet after heavy rain. We suggested that our neighbours add some Koi carp and an ornamental fountain to the large pond that appeared overnight!

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Wenmac 2 reviews from this member

Me and my husband have just stayed at this campsite. We really enjoyed it. The lady who greeted us was really friendly. The showers and toilets were really clean.

We took our little dog and we had no problems at all. The site is near keswick which we went to and we couldn't believe how friendly the shop keepers were you can even take your dog in most shops and quite a few shop had water for the dog outside.

We will be back to this site at some point in the future. There are cottages which you can rent and from the outside they look lovely

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sara Jayne 1 review from this member

This was my first visit to this site, I chose this site as I was wanting electric hook up in the Keswick area.

After reading other reviews I felt quite positive about this site.

Driving to Burns farm was a breeze and very well signed posted, I parked myself up on site and crossed the road to the reception, knocking on the correct door for reception was a bit of a mission as the sign for reception wasn't very clear and I walked up some steps and disturbed a family relaxing. When I finally found who I needed to speak to they were very polite.

Once I had pitched my tent in very heavy rain, I had a wonder around the site, found the facilities to be very clean, I only ever went in the newer block where there are 3 showers and 3 toilets in the girls don't know about the mens. The dish washing area was undercover with plenty of hot water. I particularly liked the size of the camp site, being in my opinion quite small, was even better this weekend as it was quiet.

Loved the fact it was a working farm chickens wondering the campsite and the cows mooing in the sheds.

The location of the campsite was the ideal place to explore, with stone circle, Keswick climbing wall and the old Keswick train track all within walking distance not to mention access to the fells.

It was easy to pop into Keswick for any supplies needed.

The minor negatives about this campsite was the nettles were very overgrown around the electric hookups I got myself a few stings, also you are pulling out onto the road blind as you can not see down the road either side.

Overall I enjoyed my stay here and I plan to go back.

Previous     104 Reviews in total, now showing 37 to 42      Next

Write your own Review wo win a 150 Amazon Voucher!!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cumbria   -   Search for a site

Win a Kampa Portaflush 10 Portable Toilet! Win a 655ltr Waterproof Rooftop Bag worth 239

UKCS Meet Tribfest Festival 16th to 19th August, E Yorks
World's biggest tribute band festival. Family friendly. Discounted tickets and a chance to win some ...more