Visitor Reviews - Burns Farm Caravan And Campsite

Campsite Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Keswick > Burns Farm Caravan And Campsite Reviews

Burns Farm Caravan And Campsite
St Johns In The Vale
(lake District)
Keswick
Cumbria   (Browse area)
CA12 4RR

This site has an availability calendar. You can check for availability here

Open: March To November

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Glamping Units
 Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   Wifi Access
 Fishing 5 miles   Wild Swimming 1 mile   Indoor Pool 5 miles   Outdoor Pool 5 miles
 Horse Riding 5 miles   Cycle Hire 5 miles   Golf 1 mile   Tennis 5 miles
 Beach 5 miles   Watersports 5 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring 5 miles
 No Sea Views   Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Not Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 1 mile  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  106 in total, now showing 31 to 40                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Derek R 1 review from this member

Our week at Burns Farm went in to quick it was our first time at Burns Farm. We found most enjoyable. We liked the fact that the tenting area was separated form the caravans. The toilets were well maintained although maybe a shower mat would be good maybe I'll just have to take my own one next time. It is a good way to meet people from all over Britain and Europe and how helpful they can be. The owners couldn't be nicer they make you feel very welcome. We shall be back as Arnie would say.

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: BivvyBoy 23 reviews from this member

It might be unfair to judge a campsite by what it was like on a very busy weekend - but there again, it's at times like these when a site really needs to make an effort to shine.

Firstly let's get the nice stuff out; the view from the site must be one of the best in the country, straight up at Saddleback, which is a nice day walk from the site. The location is easy to find and access, which made it easy for my parent in law who came in their campervan - no hairpin bends or difficult turns to access the site from the A66.

The ground conditions are good; some effort has been put into making sure the field drainage works. There is actually very little road noise - the A66 is close by but at this point it's in a cutting. As things turned out, a bit of traffic noise was the least of our concerns.

The site facilities are ok in terms of age and condition. However they are inadequate for the size of the site - I think there are 6 potwashing sinks. In the gents 3 showers and 4 toilets, and three face wash sinks - yes there were queues, and there was no room to queue. The toilet/shower room was steamy and smelly. I didn't use the showers on this basis.

The trouble was that this was the weekend of the Keswick beer festival; we counted over 90 tents and 25 caravans on site. We got enough space where we were, quite close to the facilities block, but tents on the largest field were firstly set out in no good order, and secondly were crammed in - it looked like a festival site gone wrong.

And that was the other source of annoyance. As soon as we turned up at 5pm on a Friday, it was obvious that some people were there in large groups just to get drunk. Some already were. It's wrong to hear extreme bad language in any public place - but when there are children around.

We got some peace as people went off to Keswick for the evening, but at half past midnight as they started coming back. More foul language, guitar playing, shouting. By two o'clock it has settled down.

I was very surprised when I came back the next afternoon after walking all day the trouble causers were still there - some of them drunk again already. I spoke to the nice lady who'd welcomed us, and she said she'd have a word. To be fair, even though they stayed on site that evening, it was just about tolerable. But only just. We went for an evening walk to the stone circle, and saw on the main field similar types of groups - tents in a square, they're sat in the middle, fires going, and cans everywhere. Not nice when you can hear your own campsite from a mile away.

So thoughts on this site.

If you want to stay here, check what's on in the area first. If there's any indication it's going to be busy, go elsewhere as the site cannot cope with the number of people crammed in.

Secondly, if you're looking for space and quiet, you're not going to get it here when it's busy. There is no point in having campsite rules if they are not enforced; if the owners are going to let groups on rather than make it families/couples only, then I will take my money elsewhere.

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Janrick 5 reviews from this member

Just arrived back from the Keswick beer festival all I can say is EXCELLENT, we stayed at Burns farm campsite all I can say about that is shocking, Campsite was totally overbooked, everyone was so totally crammed together if there had been a fire we could have all died, there were even tents parked right in front of the chemical disposal point, the showers and toilets were always strewn with toilet paper and the floors were constantly wet from people having showers, the waste water sink was constantly full, which left a pool of dirty water and residue lying all day in the heat. One arrival we were told that if we made any noise on returning from the beer festival 'we would be thrown off the site'(Iam 54 and my husband is 62). On the Saturday night the owner was constantly walking round warning people about the noise but I must admit that when people were playing loud music at 3 in the morning there didn't seem to be any sign of her, so it seems that you cant make a noise before 11 but after that nobody seemed to care, to sum up the situation this campsite wants peoples site fees but dosnt want the inconvenience of people having a good time. Keswick is a fabulous place and I will certainly be there next year for the beer festival the MOOBS were first class, brilliant, however I will not be staying at Burns Farm.

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Plum1975 3 reviews from this member

We spent a week at Burns Farm and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The site was quiet and the facilities were excellent. If wishing to use the clothes washing facilities you will need to get the key and tokens from the owner. The walk into Keswick via the old railway line was very pretty and peaceful and is about 4 miles to the centre.

If planning to visit places such as Windermere and Coniston it is worth parking on the outskirts and walking in due to high parking charges near the centres. Cocklakes Farm Shop on the A66 to Penrith from the site is brilliant, the staff couldn't be friendlier.

The only downside to our stay was on our 1st night we walked into Threlkeld, to the Horse and Farrier pub where the senior staff were rude and dismissive and obviously customer service is not a priority for them. The waiting staff however were lovely.

Reviewer: Beaterbobrob 1 review from this member

We stayed at this site for 7 nights including the jubilee weekend, on arrival we were greeted by Linda the campsite owner who was very polite and friendly, Linda offered us options of where to pitch our tent as we required electric hookup.

We arrived on Tuesday 29 may to a quiet and well maintained campsite which included two shower and toilet blocks which were very clean, warm and supplied plenty of hot water.

After a good days hillwalking on Saturday 02 June we arrived back at the campsite to find the field without electric hookup full to capacity, we now had concerns how the campsites facilities would cope, and the noise levels that we would incur.

We found that the facilities were not a problem, toilets were clean at all times with plenty of hot water during these peak booking times, and I personally experienced no queuing.

We had no problems with noise and the campsite was pretty quiet after about 11pm.

The only niggle we had was the EHU tripped a few times during our stay which Linda was extremely helpful to resolve (even at 6. 00am ).

We will be revisiting this campsite with its picturesque views next year.

Reviewer: JudithB 11 reviews from this member

We stayed at this site over the Jubilee Bank holiday. We were a party of four families. We were allocated pitches in the centre of the field towards the bottom. This was crammed with cars and tents. We moved one of our cars off site to reception and another never moved until Monday as it was hemmed in. There didn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to the way tents were pitched. We were given to understand that groups took up space in the middle and individuals on the outer edge. This didn't seem to be what happened in practise and indeed if you arrived early the further down the field you were allocated. Consequently the bottom part was rammed and there was plenty of space at the top. The lower part of the site also had the most slope.

Having said that the field was in lovely condition, well drained and the grass recently cut. The ground is quite hard as you would expect from the Lakes. The site has spectacular views. We could clearly see the Jubilee Beacon on the top of Cat Bells on Monday night.

The site was quiet although there was a party of adults who had to be told to pipe down at 12:45 on the first night. However, there was no further noise on following nights.

The facilities were of a good standard. Ladies had 4 toilets 3 showers with roomy cubicles and 3 sinks. There is a large mirror with 2 plug sockets under for hairdrying. These were free, a bonus these days. Curiously there are shaver points over the sinks. These are particularly useful if queueing for hairdryers and if you have GHD's as these can be adapted to run from the shaver point. Gents, I am informed, have 3 toilets, 3 showers and 3 sinks with shaver points and power points. There is another block in the farm yard but did not use these. Water was hot and free although you had to pick your time as a lot of usage made the water go cold. I didn't experience any queueing.

There are six sinks for washing up in a covered area. Again there was good hot water with the added bonus of a couple of swallows roosting in the rafters in the evening. The only thing I would like here are some hooks to hang up coats whilst washing. The weather was changeable and at times very windy so a coat or fleece was necessary to walk up the field but not ideal to wash up in.

There is also a laundry room but this was kept locked and I never saw it in use.

There is no children's playground. Play could be restricted for some but groups faired better having secured an area between their tents.

For our Oakland, myself and adult son and young daughter plus car we paid 25 per night. There is no electric hookup in the large field.

There is no local shop on site this didn't pose any problems for us as we tend to shop daily whilst out when we have no hookup. Keswick is close by but you could reach most of lakeland and coastal towns without travelling excessively.

We went to visit the Osprey view point at Bassenthwaite and followed that up with a visit to Whinlatter visitor centre to view the live cam. The people who run this project are knowledgeable and are keen to share that knowledge. It is well worth a visit. We felt Keswick's Jubilee celebrations were a bit of a disappointment. The weather did nothing to help with a cold wind blowing most of the weekend.

I liked this site it is very hard to come by a site in the Lakes with reasonable facilities, close to a popular centre and at a reasonable price. I had considered staying for an extra few days and would have done so if I had not been unwell.

This one added to my virtual brochure and marked down for another visit.

Reviewer: AndyB1969 5 reviews from this member

I have just returned with my family two children aged 7 and 9 from a double bank holiday (jubilee)weekend. We camped (tents) here for four nights during the weekend with four other families.

Having read the other reviews before we went I was slightly concerned. However, on the whole I thought this camp site was fine. True, there is road noise, but this only noticeable very early in the morning and this doesn't interfere with the birds singing in the morning. Also you cant see the road its completely out of view. In the evening you're hardly likely to notice it.

The views from this camp site are stunning, its a good location for walking and exploring Keswick. We all went to the Keswick leisure centre where there is a pool with slides and wave machine.

Bearing in mind it was a double bank holiday, the camp site was busy and we were packed in, however I didn't have to queue too long to use the facilities and they were clean at all times. The kids all ten in total had a fine time playing and running around. There are no children's playing equipment but it didn't matter.

Overall the camp site was pretty quiet after 11. 00pm and there was no unruly behaviour. One or two people did have small fires in containers but again never out of control or causing trouble.

There is a pub about a mile and a half away which we took a taxi to one one occasion called horse and farriers Threlkeld. They serve free kids dinners (between 5 - 6 pm) which was a major plus point. We had to book because it was so busy but certainly worth it. We walked back it very easy.

I would recommend this camp site and if you are used to proper camping without state of the art facilities then this is great. We have never used electric hook up points or gone to places with entertainment.

The only thing I think they could improve on would be to perhaps have a small shop near to reception selling basic supplies?

Date of Visit: April 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Shelll 2 reviews from this member

Not what the reviews say. There was no hot water in the showers, both blocks for the whole duration of our weekend.

We also found the field we were put in to be extremely overcrowded, there was no area hardly for the kids to play because the owner crammed so many in.

Basically the water supply and facilities could not cope with the demand. You need to be aware that there is only 2 plugs in the loo, both situated together so only one person can stand there, and you have to dry your hair virtually in the toilet itself.

There is also only 3 sinks and 3 girls had to queue no matter what time it was every morning to wash, or even to go to the loo. When we complained about the lack of water, in relation to the price as it was 26 per night for a basic non electric grass pitch on a hill. We were told in no uncertain terms tough.

We ended up going home a day early with refund refused for the extra unused day. Would not recommend going with kids either. Also its in the middle of nowhere with no lighting anywhere

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Refrodders 4 reviews from this member

We too stayed over the Jubilee Weekend, arriving on the Friday as a group booking of 4 tents. Whilst we were greeted well and shown to our pitch by the owner, it became obvious that the planning was haphazard to say the least. Those round the sides had ample room, and spread out into the access road area for seating. Up the middle, where we were, the pitching started at the bottom and we were cramped up close to other tents and cars. I ended up moving my car off the site to ensure we had a modicum of space. Even bearing this in mind, one of our cars was wedged in for the weekend until a group below us left on Sunday.

Privacy was limited, and I would say it did matter that there was no spare room for the kids, as they weaved in and out of our tents, into our cars, and through our central area. At the bottom of the field the feeling was one of being squashed in beyond what was comfortable or expected at 30 per night, bearing in mind the limited facilities.

For those who went to the Keswick Ale Festival all day it wasn't much of a bind I suppose, but if you were adults wanting to relax, it was compromised somewhat by the cramped nature of the pitches. If there had been an emergency of any sort at the bottom of the field, the emergency services simply would not have been able to gain access.

The facilities are quite simply too few in number, showers were running all day, and generally someone was queuing for a shower whenever you went. Hot water was constant though, and the cleanliness was of a high standard.

There is no facility within a couple of miles for purchasing food etc, so be prepared, although being in a non EHU spot meant we had no fridges with us.

The setting is absolutely gorgeous, and gives a superb backdrop, surely the best feature of the site.

Generally noise levels were not too bad considering the numbers of people on site, although with no time limit on returning to the site we were woken a couple of times in the early hours by 'revellers' from the Ale Festival!

In my opinion Linda needs to decide on what she wants the campsite to be, a casual group setting, who only sleep and breakfast on site, or one offering a decent amount of organisation and space for those wanting to relax on site.

Quite simply, the prices are on a par with most other sites in the area, but others offer more showers and toilets per head, shop facilities nearby or on site, and pitches marked out giving proper and safe access and living space to all campers. At present I think the owner wants to cram as many people in as possible on Bank Holidays and not bother too much on her guests comfort.

It felt as though the earlier you got there, the worse your pitch despite you paying more than other people. I would stay again, but not on a Bank Holiday.

Date of Visit: September 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Wenham 2 reviews from this member

We stayed here last year the site is lovely the showers and toilets are spottless. The lady who runs it and all the people are really friendly. We will definitely be using this site again, we have a little dog and we went into keswick and most of the shops are dog friendly I was in a shoe shop and the man serving said to my husband bring her in which most of the shops let you take your dog in. There is the stone circle not far from the site which is worth a visit really nice views from here. The campsite was quite busy when we went but we didn't run into any problems during our stay

Previous     106 Reviews in total, now showing 31 to 40      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cumbria

Win a 299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win a Holiday at Woolacombe Bay Holiday Park

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire