Reviews of Woodyhyde Campsite

Campsite Search > UK > England > South West > Dorset > Corfe Castle > Woodyhyde Campsite Reviews

Woodyhyde Campsite
Valley Road
Corfe Castle
Dorset   (Browse area)
BH20 5HU
Tel: 01929 480274

Open: 01/03/2021 to 31/10/2021

Tent Pitches   No Caravans   Motorhome Pitches   Small Campervans
 No Glamping Units   No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point   Wifi Access
 Shop On Site   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <1 mile
 Fishing <1 mile   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <1 mile   No Cycle Hire   Golf <1 mile   No Tennis
 Beach <1 mile   Watersports <1 mile   Boat Launch / Mooring <5 miles
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  187 in total, now showing 31 to 40                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Mikey817 3 reviews from this member

Had a lovely stay on the site, enjoying the Dorset countryside, shame about the weather though! Second year visiting the site. Pitched in field one this year (was in field two last year). Pitch was fine, if a bit exposed to the wind! The kids enjoyed the closeness of the steam train running past.

Toilets were fine, reasonably clean, site shop is good with reasonable prices. The owner has good local knowledge and can be very chatty! Woodyhyde is on the road from Corfe to Swanage so there's plenty to see and do regardless of the weather. Would definitely visit again

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Maltheman 5 reviews from this member

This is our top campsite tenting wise, we have been coming here for several years and even have included friends in our visits, very open easy going site, owner is friendly once you get to know him, the toilet and shower blocks are well looked after, exploring the Dorset coast from here is easily done

There are however some issues with the campers children, basically they wreck the toilets and showers when allowed to go to them by themselves, how the owner having spent so much money improving the toilet blocks and showers copes with this is beyond me, but improved cleaning twice or three a day seems to be his answer

Highly recommended

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  Family with older children
Reviewer: Trevor + Jo 109 reviews from this member

Stayed here on numerous occasions over the last few years and Woodyhyde never disappoints. The owner, formally known as 'Mr Grumpy', is very pleasant and helpful and keeps a well stocked shop which stays open 'til late. The lower field is dog free and spacious and now has a stone track to help access. The ledge at the back is level and you get good views across to Ninebarrow Hill.

The only change we found from previous visits is that both old and new shower blocks now operate on a 50p token system so you will need to get these on arrival. The old block was free but apparently this facility was getting abused by visitors from neighbouring sites!

The scenery, the steam train, Corfe Castle, Swanage Beach, Old Harry Rocks, Dancing Ledges, The Square and Compass cider, the coast path. The list of things to do and see goes on and on.

A very good site in a fantastic location. Will no doubt return again and again

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Englishcheer 2 reviews from this member

Stayed here for Easter. Beautiful site in the heart of the countryside. The added bonus of the Swanage steam railway chugging past our pitch was lovely. Toilet blocks were basic, but clean and tidy. Token for showers, which were lovely and hot. Basic shop but open very late over this weekend!

We were two adults and a 17 year old young lad and two dogs who loved the walking right from our site.

Only thing to mention would be that the washing up area could really do with being under cover for the rainy days.

We will come back here again, as this was a nice site and close to lots of things to do in the lovely Dorset area.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: RayBP 1 review from this member

I stayed at this site twice in September, each stay for a couple of nights (just me and a smallish tent). The school holidays had finished, as had the glorious summer, so the site was very quiet with maybe 15 tents/motorhomes spread over the large area available. Facilities were clean and modern. I noticed an older building but did not use any facilities there - not even sure whether they were open. The 'camp where you like' policy suited me fine and pitching was reasonably level, grass cropped short and pegs went in without a fight. The site is a good few hundred metres from the main road and thus pleasantly quiet. During the day, a steam locomotive chugged through the site every few hours. Very nice! The campsite shop is well stocked with a good choice of food and basic camping supplies. The owner is friendly and helpful. I was there mainly to catch a ride on the paddle steamer Waverley, the last sea-going paddle steamer in the world. It now calls at Swanage pier during its South coast activities each year. Swanage is a characterful seaside town a few miles down the road and Corfe Castle is about a mile in the other direction from the site. I will be using this site again.

Reviewer: AdenG1 10 reviews from this member

I decided to find a site for a 2 week break in Purbeck - I wasn't looking for the sort of facilities you find in a holiday camp, I just wanted somewhere quiet to pitch my tent, with good toilets and showers and an on site shop for all the things I consistently forget to buy. Woodyhyde fits the bill exactly.

I booked a pitch with EHU which meant that I had the choice of 2 of the 3 fields. There aren't marked pitches which offers flexibility but can also cause a few problems. I spent some time finding the right pitch and the one I chose was on a gentle slope. The grass was well maintained and free of stones and anything else which could damage my groundsheet.

The steam railway that goes right past the site is something which I found captivating - too many years of Thomas the Tank Engine I guess.

There are two shower blocks both of which are chargeable but the price was a small amount to pay for clean showers with loads of hot water. I would agree with the comments about making sure you are careful not to put your clothes in the line of fire when the shower goes on.

The only problem I had was down to the lack of marked out pitches and I think could happen anywhere. I normally park the car on the right hand side of the tent. One morning I went out and when I came back there was a tent where my car was before - it was only 4 or 5 feet from my tent. Luckily the pitching area is quite deep and there was room to park the car in front of the tent. The only inconvenience was the fact that the people in the next tent could snore for England but thankfully they only stayed a couple of nights.

There's lots to see around the site either on foot, on the bus, on the train or by car. Corfe Castle is a short walk across the nearby common and it has some great pubs which do really good food.

I have to say I really enjoyed my time at Woodyhyde - I have already booked to go back for 2 weeks in May 2014 and 3 in August.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Trailer Tent
Reviewer: Petsbuster 2 reviews from this member

Just had 2 fab weeks camping, good clean site and facilities, friendly owner, very helpful about local area, good stocked shop of camping needs, will be going back next year. Other campers were really friendly and my son made friends easily, toilet blocks were clean and never full, always easy to find a empty shower or toilet when needed. Local area really good. Swanage only 5 miles away, stream train runs along back of camp, only a 15 min walk to nearest train station, if using the train buy your tickets from shop on site as you save nearly half on price tickets

Reviewer: JasonAndclare 5 reviews from this member

We stayed here for four nights in August 2013. After reading all the reports of 'Mr Grumpy' I wasn't surprised to get few words out of him. My wife tells me he was quite chatty though.

The site was exactly what we were looking for, clean and well maintained. The shop had all the bits you'd expect, including the useful freezer pack hire. Our only gripe was the token system for the showers. All of the other camp sites we have visited gave you free use of the showers, so this was unexpected.

There's loads to do in the area. We went to the castle (National Trust members are free), drove to Swanage for the beach and had a return journey on the steam train. We also went to Monkey World and a quick tour of the coastal attractions. Need a lot more than 4 days to fully explore though!

Reviewer: LisaK13 2 reviews from this member

Firstly I have to say many thanks to UKCampsite.co.uk and the reviews without them we wouldn't have had such a great time.

Woodyhyde is a good campsite for the price. It is well positioned if you want to explore the area by car or as others have said you can walk to Corfe by a National Heritage walk. (stay on the top of the ridge though

If you do walk as we went the wrong way on our first attempt and had to turn back. If you do get to Corfe there is a great taxi that will get you back for 5 their number is on side of reception/shop.

The showers in new block are clean warm but follow the advice of the other reviews and make sure your clothes are behind the little wall. We left our shoes right in the corner at end of block they stayed dry there.

The owner does have a very good sense of humour and is very helpful so don't be put off speaking to him. The shop seems to have everything you would need but did find some basic foods were cheaper from your big supermarkets. We found a Budgens in Swanage and a Sainsburys in Wareham.

One thing we wished the site had was a children's area as the kids tended to play around their tents and our daughter didn't have a chance to meet friends as she has done at other sites.

Reviewer: Tracybb 4 reviews from this member

We arrived on sunny bank holiday weekend. The site was full!

There is no 'organized' pitches so you can just find a space where you like. Field 1 is electric hook ups & the Swanage train track is along side the field - great for kids young & old. Field 3 is dog free which was great for us.

The new shower block & older toilet block are in the middle of the site & were never busy enough that you had to queue. Considering this was bank holiday weekend & the site was full we were very impressed by how tidy & clean the facilities were. I had an occasion to visit the loos at 1 in the morning & met the cleaning contractors & there were there again at 6am & 11am.

As mentioned in other reviews, there is a bit of a design fault in the new shower block, but lets not get too hung up on it. Yes a shower curtain & some hooks in the shower would be great but guys, you are camping not visiting a hotel!

The shop is very well stocked for everything you might have forgotten & enough goodies for a fry up, or BBQ. They have an extensive beer, wine & cider collection in a large fridge ready for that evening of doing nothing.

Although the shop opening times seem limited, they will stay open for as long as there are customers coming through the door.

Great site & we would come again.

We used the site as a base to visit the local sites.

Corfe is less than an hours ramble away over the fields(note - stay on the left when you get to the road) The castle is worth a visit & the taxi costs about 5 back. Great pubs!

Brownsea is nearby too. Use the chain ferry rather than going round to Poole. It's quicker & you can park on the streets nearby before catching the foot ferry to the island.

Swanage. Beautiful clean beach, the pier is worth a visit & the town itself is lovely.

Previous     187 Reviews in total, now showing 31 to 40      Next

Write a Review of this Site to Win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Is Woodyhyde Campsite child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Woodyhyde Campsite?  There is a shop on site  View all facilities

Is Woodyhyde Campsite dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Corfe Castle      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Dorset

UKCS Meet UK Monster Truck Nationals 21/08 to 22/08
Camping available with Monster Truck rides, drag racing, wrestling, plus live music ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021