Reviews of The Orchard Camp Site

Campsite Search > UK > England > East Anglia > Suffolk > Wickham Market > The Orchard Camp Site Reviews

The Orchard Camp Site
Spring Lane
Wickham Market
Suffolk   (Browse area)
IP13 0SJ

This site has an availability calendar. You can check for availability here

Pitches: 11 acres plus 20 electric pitches
Open: April 12th 2019

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Glamping Units
 Chemical Disposal   Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Kids Playground   TV Room   Games Room   No Evening Ents
 Fishing On Site   Wild Swimming On Site   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding 1 mile   Cycle Hire 5 miles   Golf 1 mile   Tennis 1 mile
 Beach 10 miles   Watersports On Site   Boat Launch / Mooring On Site
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Not Open All Year
 Riverside Pitches   Public Transport 1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  203 in total, now showing 61 to 70                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21

Reviewer: DawnMedus 2 reviews from this member

Have today returned from our 4 night stay at this campsite.

Enjoyed our stay and here are my observations:

* Pitch prices excellent value for money as the 16 per night fee for tents/caravans without hook up includes a party of up to 6 people. I think the electric hook up pitch was 21 per night again for up to 6 people.

* Very friendly welcome when we checked in and also on return visits to the shop.

* Shop is very well stocked and exceptionally good value for money - e. G. I got a huge spanish onion for 10p! Also a great range of beers and ciders also at reasonable prices.

* You cannot purchase replacement Gas bottles from the site shop so please bear that in mind - I was advised that there is a local outlet near by for this.

* My kids loved the site and it was small enough for me to be happy about my 8 year old twins going off to visit the play area and shop by themselves and they loved having this independence.

* Glowstick Scavange was fabulous - it was lovely to see when the call went out at dusk (on Saturday night) all the kids from all over the site run like mad to the top of the site for this legendary event! Then after much tormenting from Alan :) to see them all hunt for the glow sticks that had been thrown into the air.

* The toilets are unisexed but the wash rooms are male and female. There is a family bathroom with keypad code access which you need to obtain from Reception.

* There are 3 showers and there are queues at peak times but my husband would take his shower at 7am and not have to queue and I tended to take mine in the evening - again with no or very little waiting.

* The kitchen area consists of 4 sinks and also a microwave which was handy.

* There was a fridge and freezer on the site and although the fridge was an adequate size the freezer was quite full whilst we were there - so finding space during peak times could be a problem. It is handy having a free of charge freezing facility for your ice packs.

* We camped in the wooded area down the bottom and my teenager loved the 'Twilight' experience of our pitch! There are also pitches by the river, by the lake and on the meadow. After a morning of rain the trip back to the top of the site by car was a bit slippy due to mud and my car not being 4x4 but thankfully that was only the one time I had to experience this.

* The site is just outside of Wickham Market which had some stores but we also paid a visit to Woodbridge for more variety of shops.

All in all we enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend it to others - we came from the West Midlands to camp at this site purely by its reviews here and an article in a camping magazine and we were not disappointed.

Reviewer: Rache73 2 reviews from this member

Nice site. It was smaller than I imagined from the website but we had a plenty big enough pitch in a lovely spot by the river and no-one else looked squashed!

Decent shower/washing-up/toilet block and useful shop (price-wise think waitrose rather than tesco value but nice quality stuff. Icecreams were a complete bargain!).

Friendly staff, nice atmosphere. Very child friendly.

Only downside was the firewood situation - 15 for a barrow load of damp logs which were rubbish on the fire. There was a sign up saying no wood to be bought onto site but we chose to ignore that and bought some great wood from a farm shop down the road for 5 a sack! shhhh!

Also the Friday night there was a lot of road noise from the A12 - maybe the wind was blowing in the wrong direction!

Would probably return.

Reviewer: Kerry72 3 reviews from this member

A lot has already been written about this site so I'll try not to go over old ground too much.

I loved the friendly informality of the site. Having a real campfire was a treat, though the wood was a little expensive.

Pitches vary a great deal across the site and for the most part the site is on a slope which you need to consider when placing your tent. Most pitches seemed relatively spacious and unlike many sites they don't charge extra for gazebo's etc.

I did find the site a little noisy, especially at night, when there is quite a lot of traffic noise from the A12. The relaxed rules also meant that we had one night where a group of teenagers on the neighbouring pitch kept us awake until the early hours. We mentioned it to the site staff who I believe had a word and the next night they were quiet as mice! Most of the campers were families with children so naturally the noise quietened off after 'bedtime'.

However if you are very light sleepers or 'early to bed early to rise' types then I'd suggest a set of earplugs could be useful.

When the site is busy it is noticeable that there is a shortage of toilets and showers for the size of the site. You had to time your showers to avoid the queue. Also, because of the number of people using them despite the best efforts of the staff it was near impossible to really keep them clean, especially the floors.

However there was never a shortage of hot water and the water pressure was good.

The on site shop is excellent, next time I won't bring much food with me at all and save a ton of space in the car. Definitely get your fresh bread ordered for the mornings - delicious!

The real plus of this site is the location in a beautiful part of the Suffolk Countryside, surrounded by lovely walks, Woodbridge, Aldeburgh and Sutton Hoo are well worth a visit with fantastic woodland walks in Rendlesham Forest.

We had a recommendation from the staff for a local pub just a few miles from the site which offered a 20% discount on Thursdays for Orchard guests. Had a fabulous meal, well worth asking about.

Will we go back - already booked!

Reviewer: Debmichael 4 reviews from this member

We have just returned from a week at The Orchard campsite. We decided to go there after reading all the positive reviews and were really excited.

I have been thinking about what I am going to write all week long. When we first got there, I wanted to turn round and leave again. It was smaller than expected, seemed tired and worn, and nothing that we thought we wanted a campsite to be.

Mid week I was starting to relax and thought I am having fun but would not return. Well, after 7 nights, and 7 days of sun (well almost) we were sad to leave and would return tomorrow.

It is hard to explain but there seems to be a community spirit there that I have not seen anywhere else. We met some wonderful families, and some wonderful children. My two boys had the best time fishing and playing with all the other boys.

The good points - the real camp fires, the fishing, the glow stick scramble, the community feel, the shop - it has brilliant prices, the location (5 mins walk to centre of village), the families, and Paul the warden was brilliant.

The bad bits - its a smallish site with a lot of tents. There are a lot of groups. The toilets are not the cleanest, more showers are needed but if you take a shower later on in the morning or early evening you don't have to wait.

Most of the pitches are sloping. If it rains you may not get your vehicle out of the site as the road turns to mud. The WIFI is still not working but you are not informed of this when you arrive and there was not hint of it being fixed. Even though we don't spend a lot of time using it when camping it is something that we look for when we pick a campsite so I was a bit annoyed.

The washing machine and dryer don't work well, and again, you are not informed of any issues until you have used them. The dryer was getting clothes so hot but not taking the moisture out, we were told to just put less in. Well after 6 they still weren't dry and I gave up.

I had a cold shower one day and again there wasn't a sign out to inform people that there was a problem with the heater you were left to find out for yourself.

But despite all the negatives we all loved it.

Reviewer: Wrighties30 5 reviews from this member

We visited The Orchard with a small group who have returned several times, and I can see why! Initial appearances when we arrived were of a very busy & ramshackle site, but the staff couldn't have been nicer, gave us a couple of options of where to pitch and walked us down to a secluded pitch in the trees to have a look before we set up.

They were happy to lend us a couple of pieces of small equipment we had forgotten, i.e. Dust pan & brush and extra tent pegs.

The free glow stick scramble of Saturday night was very well received by the kids and great fun for adults watching the glowicks running around in the dark! The site were very keen to make it fair for all the children and kept some back for the smaller children who had not got any in the scramble!

The site has lots to offer with a shop that sold most essentials and lots of non essentials and didn't seem to close until everyone had gone to bed!

The camp fires in the evening were lovely. The children's play area, although small, was sufficient and with the river at the bottom and a small pond together with footpaths leading to the village there was plenty to keep all entertained on site for a while.

However it would be a shame not to go out and explore the lovely Suffolk villages and countryside while visiting. We went to Framlingham & had a lovely day wandering around the castle and the quaint little shops and even sat by the village pond listening to a live bad with a beer - a prefect english summer day all round!

The main down side for me was the tracks on the campsite which became very slippery after a heavy down pour. Being at the bottom I felt I was going to slide the car into the tree at one stage. The pitch was quite uneven and sloped also, but I think you very quickly overlook this once you get into the atmosphere and charm of the campsite and its lovely Suffolk surroundings.

Reviewer: Timpcole 3 reviews from this member

The site has a great reputation, and you can see why -plenty of room, ideal location and an easy-ish walk to Wickham Market.

Campfires are great, good on site shop and they fire glowsticks out for the kids at night!

We unfortunately had a pitch right next to the playground which meant a very early start - but that's a small complaint about a great campsite.

It gets booked early, so it's not always possible to get in!

Reviewer: TheJenster 4 reviews from this member

After a weekend at this busy site we will definitely be returning.

The positives are:

Actively encouraged to have camp fires

Very relaxed atmosphere and child friendly

Shop (and off licence) open late

Very helpful shop staff and nothing too much trouble

However. The toilets and showers were not nice-1) Rust in the showers and filthy as you walked in after generally queueing for 10-15 minutes.

We appreciate that fields are muddy etc but why not have some form of mop etc such that each user could wipe down a little 2) Three showers for the whole site doesn't seem enough, would suggest another 3) The toilets and some form of open drain in them just stank, constantly-even if this cant be changed some form of odour neutraliser(?) would help?

Finally, little play area nice, but would be good to have another climbing/swing frame. This one with 2 swings and a slide often got really quite busy.

Reasonably minor points-though we are trying to gets friends/family into camping and the toilet/shower area didn't help us on that quest)

Reviewer: Richibeno 4 reviews from this member

Nice site, we spent a nice relaxing weekend there, don't think you will find a level pitch though,

Not enough toilets only 4 in total only 3 showers so there were queues, its nice to have open fires but they are every where, so I would not like to pitch over an old fire,

It is a nice relaxing site 20 mins to the coast, small children's play area, shop is ok, and some items are cheep, loads of different beers,

Some nice out of he way pitches down the bottom by the river,

No wifi (broken),

Would I return, , yes I would,

Date of Visit: May 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Glen Foster 9 reviews from this member

We are a family of four and we have stayed at this site several times. It is 2-3 years since our last visit, when we were put off slightly by the noise created by groups of people playing loud music into the early hours.

I must say that the site is now much improved, we had no noise after around 1030. Alan who is the owner of the site has really done wonders with facilities like a very well stocked shop with prices competitive with the local co-op.

There are now ample toilets and showers and of course in the evening you can have your own camp fire!

Alan had done a great drop of modernising this site and his hard work is now paying off. This is a great site make sure you book well in advance.

Date of Visit: May 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Dylan1975 12 reviews from this member

What a site, fab there should be more sites like it. All the family loved the real fire, the shop was very well priced and sold lots of stuff too including some great beers I loved the mixed fruit cider.

From the moment of arriving you felt like part of the family Alan and his crew were excellent no request was a problem for them.

The kids were gone from the moment we got there and made loads of friends and loved the glow stick scramble and is very child friendly everyone looks out for everyone else's kids.

The site was very clean considering how busy it was and if you timed it right you did not have to cue for a shower or toilets and there is so much to do in the surrounding area, crabbing, the beach, shopping - some great shops and everyone in the area

very friendly indeed, we loved it so much we have booked again for next year along with my dad and his crew coming with us this time.

Previous     203 Reviews in total, now showing 61 to 70      Next

Other Sites Near Wickham Market      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Suffolk

UKCS Meet Motorhome and Caravan Show 15/10 to 20/10, NEC Birmingham
All the new 2020 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans plus 1000s of accessories ...more