Visitor Reviews - York Caravan Park

Campsite Search > UK > England > North East > North Yorkshire > York > York Caravan Park Reviews

York Caravan Park
Stockton Lane
York
North Yorkshire   (Browse area)
YO32 9UB
Tel: 01904 424222

This site has an availability calendar. You can check for availability here

Special Offer available to UKCampsite.co.uk visitors - see here

Open: 16 March - 6 January 2019

No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Adults Only   Not Members Only   No Rallies   Not Naturist Site
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   Wifi Access
 Fishing 5 miles   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool 5 miles   Outdoor Pool 5 miles
 Horse Riding 5 miles   Cycle Hire 5 miles   Golf 1 mile   Tennis 5 miles
 No Beach   Watersports 5 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring 5 miles
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport On Site  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  176 in total, now showing 31 to 40                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Roons 5 reviews from this member

We are just back from a 6 night stay at this fantastic caravan site. It is now one of our top 3 favourite sites we have stayed in so far.

Very large, flat, hard-standing, fully serviced pitches surrounding by grass and hedging. Your caravan can be placed in any position you fancy on your pitch. The only thing I would say is the ground is very hard so rock pegs would be advisable.

The toilet block is immaculate and modern and has I think 8 'bathrooms' (shower, toilet, sink, hand and hair drier, bin, seat, mop and bucket) which are huge and always clean. The site was full but we never once had to queue for these or the separate toilets, sinks and showers. The showers are the timed push button type which aren't the best but the water is hot and has good pressure so it was fine. The laundry was good too.

The grounds are very tidy and well maintained, lots of nice trees and flowers. The lake is a fishing lake we didn't use it but it looks nice and has ducks!

Its a great quiet site which feels like its in the country but is just a few miles from The Shambles area of York which is fantastic for shopping. A bus stop at the site entrance takes you in and out of York for about £3, a taxi costs about £7 from site to The Shambles. There is also a Toby Carvery about a mile-ish from site and a big retail park about 5 minutes drive away.

Small dog exercise area on the site which is handy. Very friendly and helpful wardens.

Really there is very little to fault with this site. A bigger dog walk would have been better for us but hey ho. There are other places to walk the pooch! We will definitely be back and highly recommend to everyone with rock pegs and no kids!

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Tomtom1958 3 reviews from this member

We have stayed on this site a few times now the pitchs are of a good size and have there own drainage and water points close by, the shower blocks a very good.

although it is about 1-2 miles from the centre of york there is a very good bus service right outside the site that runs about every half hour and most drivers will drop you at the site entrance.

The staff at the site were very helpful.

Will definitely pay a return visit when in the area

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Colouredcob 5 reviews from this member

We spent 4 nights at this adults only site. It was perfect, peaceful and ideal for visiting York. The site is beautifully kept, The whole site is spotlessly clean and tidy and beautifully landscaped. Our pitch was on hardstanding which our awning pegs would not have copped with so we had to drive our van in and site it backwards to take advantage of the wider grass on the near side. The electric hook up had water and TV ariel points along with the waste having a drain on each pitch also makes light work of caravan chores! The shower rooms are huge, I wish they were wet rooms rather than cubicles as being on the larger size the showers corner doors are a little tight! The showers required you to keep pressing a button to keep the water flowing every 5 to 6 seconds which is a pain, and the shower heads are fixed so I found I needed to press it a few times while outside the cubicle to get the hot water through before getting in, the water was piping hot, a little too hot for me but rather that than cold I guess. The washing machines gave me some trouble, one taking my money and refusing to work and the other turned a few times appearing to be working so I left it to it, but it was in fact finishing the previous persons wash. The recommended £3 per wash I think is ignored and people only put a couple of pound in as that gives them 89 minutes for a 90 minute wash. I did get all my money refunded at the office the next day but I think the system needs changing so it does not display the amount of electricity time you have paid for, or a set number of tokens need to be used per wash. The bus into York is very good, right outside the site and £3 gives a return ticket and worth every penny. £10 is charged for the gate fob, we never had the correct change and had to wait until the next day to get the fob as reception then had enough change. I really enjoyed our stay, the little problems were small but always worth a mention for others to be aware, I would recommend this site, It was a little more money than we usually spend but we wanted for nothing while there. I would love to see a little sign pointing out the dog walk, as hubby never did find it! Also a shop selling, papers, milk, bread etc on site as the nearest shop does involve getting the car out or the bus but I really think the site has got most things right.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: J-n-R 8 reviews from this member

We stayed at York Caravan Park for four nights, our main reason for booking being its close proximity to York. My partner and I generally like smaller sites with less pitches, but the pitch we were allocated was tucked away in a corner and was a good suntrap in the afternoon. You donít get an information pack on arrival, but the site has good WiFi and the parks website is packed with useful information.

As others have said the facilities are very good, and in the four days we were there I only had to queue once for a shower, and the park was full.

Getting into York is no problem, leave your car and take the bus they run every 20 minutes from outside the park entrance. Alternatively, you can use the park and ride for similar cost at Monks Cross Retail Park if you need to food shop at Sainsbury and visit York in the same day.

I do wish however that the management would tighten up its rules on washing lines especially the rotary type, and the use of the dividing hedge for drying clothes and airing dog blankets etc. The two pitches opposite us both had rotary driers that seemed to have washing continuously hanging on them. Our neighbours while they were there had so many things draped over the hedge there was hardly any green left. We had been away for three weeks and never dried our washing on display; we used the facilities on site. Moan over!

If we are every planning a trip north again we would certainly book again.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Mudley 2 reviews from this member

5 star showering facilities & 5 star private pitch !

40 minute walk with the dog into York (taxi back) although there is a regular bus.

We will be returning to this site again hopefully in September

Could not fault anything here !.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Chrissie-b 4 reviews from this member

Stayed here for four nights in June. Very happy with site, a lovely quiet adults only site, level pitches which were very tidy. Amazing facilities in modern and super clean building. Shower rooms were amazing, big enough to include a bath in each as well! Agree with another review that they'd be better if they were wet rooms. Could also do with having indicator on each door to say which were occupied and which were free so that you didn't have to try all doors to find a free one!

Bus stop into York were just across road from Park entrance, though we used JustPark. Com to find all-day parking centrally.

One thing I'd mention is that although there was a very small dog area on site (which is not enclosed), there didn't seem to be anywhere else close by to give our energetic pup a decent walk.

We were disappointed that York City didn't seem to be very dog-friendly so although we'd stay here again we'd have to leave our dog in kennels while we visited the city.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Janetreid 15 reviews from this member

We stayed here for 3 nights midweek specifically as a base for visiting York. The site is well kept and organised with large level pitches. We had a pitch with all services and a clean pea gravel base. The toilet block is the most pristine we have seen with 8 very large 'bathrooms' with shower, toilet, vanity basin and hair dryer. There were also 2 smaller showers in the ladies toilet area, 2 washing up sinks and a laundry all house in a large modern barn type structure. My only concern here was the doors which were heavy and needed a good push and may have been difficult for disabled users.

The site is quiet (adult only) with just a little unobtrusive noise from the nearby road with a lovely pond with ducks, fish and lots of birdsong.

The ideal location as a base for York is born out by the £3 return cost of the 20 min bus ride into town- right outside of the site. French, German, Greek and Swiss travellers also were using the site at the time probably for the same reasons as us! This isn't a site that I would visit for any other reason as there are no other facilities but it served our purpose and I would definitely use it again.

The charge of £23 + £2 hook up pn were on the steep side but the facilities couldn't be faulted

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Bfcol 14 reviews from this member

This site is near to perfect in so many ways, It's clean, very spacious pitches with full service, well groomed grass areas, a small but adequate dog walk. And a very modern toilet & shower block which is also clean and spacious.

Bus stop outside to take you into York centre and numerous shopping facilities ( John Lewis's M&S) etc just a very short drive away.

Advertised for the site is a small fishing lake, looks very pretty & fishy with a good depth all around, the only problem is the small lake is practically fishless, I have been to this site numerous times over the years and hear anglers saying ' 1 fish in 7 day's between 4 of us. &. Not seen anything caught since I've been here'. I therefore fish off site which annoys my better half because I'm not spending my time along side her.

Being an angler with vast fishing experience over 45 years I have to agree. The fish are few and far between, It wouldn't cost a fortune with the help of the Enviroment Agency to stock this place so that at least you see your float disappear, after all you do charge a fee to fish when staying on site.

I realise I have rambled on about the fishing and a lot of Caravanners /Tenters & Motorhome people are not bothered about drowning maggots, but a lot of us do and like to persue our hobby whilst enjoying the outdoor life, If this problem was sorted it would make a 5 star plus.

Until then, I'm afraid I shall start to use a well known Caravan Camping site just down the road which also has good facilities but with fantastic fishing @ £5 per day and great dog walks.

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: I the T 5 reviews from this member

Had 4 nights here. This was our third visit. Our Pitch (Number 13) was excellent with more than enough room for car, caravan and awning. 16 amp hook-up, water and drainage easy to access. The toilet block is one of the best we have seen. That is, apart from the push-button shower.

Access to the local pub is good. It serves a carvery most days. Access to several shopping centres as well as the centre of York is also good.

We tried the reccommended Chinese Takeaway at Heworth which was excellent.

Traffic noise intrudes a bit as do the local flying club aeroplanes but, all in all, this is an excellent site which we shall continue to use, as Best in Area.

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Buttwilk 9 reviews from this member

Have just returned home after 7 nights on this site and am totally disgusted with it. As my wife is disabled and in a wheelchair I asked to be close to the shower block when arriving we were told our pitch number and could not have been any further away from the block. The site is not not wheel chair friendly as it is road plainings which have not been flattened except for where the cars have run it over. Also the disabled shower is disgusting not set up for disabled people it has a push button shower that runs for about 15 seconds there is one grab handle that is in the totally in the wrong place also there is no disabled seat in there. My wife fell in there 3 times and has hurt her back as I have to shower her and needed to be a contortionist to wash her hold her up and push button for shower. Also the showers are communal not ladies and gents again all push button and when you push button the water went everywhere and only lasted about 10 seconds. 2nd day there all the toilets backed up and flooded. All in all was not a happy bunny and will not be returning.

Management response: Thank you for taking the time to review our site.

When you booked you asked to be near the toilets, but then about a week before you arrived we had another call saying you would like to be next to your friends, so we moved the 3 pitches you had booked to the nearest 3 available pitches to the toilet block that were together (pitches 36, 38 and 40). If you had asked to move before you had pitched up, we could have moved you back to where we originally had you, but you would not have been next to your friends.

The roads are rolled planings (suitable for wheelchairs) but the pitches are gravel due to them needing to be able to take an awning peg. The surface in and around the toilet facilities is block paving.

The disabled facilities are modern and are checked regularly by the council to make sure they comply with all the current regulations. There is not just 1 grab handle in the disabled shower room, there are 6! We have put a seat in the shower cubicle since you mentioned it (in addition to the existing chair for use when dressing).

There are no communal showers Ė we have a ladies & gents (with 2 shower cubicles in each), and 9 individual shower rooms (including disabled). Iím sorry that you found the showers did not stay on for long enough Ė we will speak to the manufacturers and get this rectified.

Finally, we are sorry that the toilets backed up, although it wasnít all the toilets as you said, it was just 3 in the ladies (out of 14 toilets) that were affected, so we only had to close the 1 room for about 1 hour while we rectified the problem. All the other rooms were open as usual.

Iím sorry you did not enjoy yourself as much as you had hoped, and wish you all the best for the future.

Previous     176 Reviews in total, now showing 31 to 40      Next

Other Sites Near York      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in North Yorkshire

Win Kids Camping Essentials worth £100! Win a BUZZ RACK Buzzpro Towball Platform

UKCS Meet Shackerstone Family Festival 31/08 to 01/09, Leicestershire
Includes arena entertainment, vintage cars, canal boats, planes, railways and much more! EXCLUSIVE Discounted weekend camping tickets ...more