Visitor Reviews - Eskdale Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Site Reviews

Eskdale Campsite
Tel: 019467 23253  or  019467 23270

Open: 01/03 To 14/01

Add this Site to your Virtual BrochureSave to Virtual Brochure

Tent Pitches   No Caravans   Motorhome Pitches   Glamping Units
 Kitchen Facilities   Freezer Available    Motorhome Point   Fully Serviced Pitches
 Shop On Site   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   Wifi Access
 Fishing <5 miles   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding   Cycle Hire <1 mile   Golf <1 mile   Tennis
 Beach   Watersports   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Waterside Location   Dog Walk   Public Transport <1 mile

Reviews:  205 in total, now showing 91 to 100                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21

Date of Visit: August 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Mcf13 1 review from this member

Ok so this was our first camping trip of 2010 and was really looking forward to getting to the lakes again for the first time in a couple of years. We chose the site based on reviews read and also joined the Camping and Caravan club as we normally camp at least twice a year.

The site itself is in a beautiful location and the scenery around the site itself was wonderful.

You will hear the waterfall just over the fields gushing when quiet, you must visit this with a camera.

Although we arrived in pouring rain we were pitched close to the amenities as we were there for 8 nights and this certainly made life easier with the kids. The facilities themselves are superb, clean and tidy almost all the time and the showers are hot and plenty of room to dry off and get changed.

I have to say that as an overall site this is hard to beat, friendly staff who do talk to you and are there to help when needed.

A couple of points to remember before hitting the site,bring along some provisions or shop when out and about as the main supermarkets for food are at least 45 mins drive, I have to say whilst the site shop is lovely and offers some fantastic locally sourced meats, it is quite expensive if you have 3 children.

Make use of the drying room which is an excellent addition when you have wet cloths, we even dried out our tent bags that got wet before leaving ( In the wet again!) well it is the lake district.

Overall this was a great camping trip and we are looking forward to returning next year.

Reviewer: CCCampers 1 review from this member

Stayed here in July for 3 nights. It's not the easiest campsite to get to in the Lake District! Even avoiding Hardknott Pass. To be honest, it is quite remote so you need to take everything you need with you. The shop is well stocked with many staple items but as veggies we would have struggled had we not taken a cooler box. The warden was helpful and the site was busy when we arrived.

It was also pouring down so this will be my last camping review ever, because I've had enough! We used the laundry facilities as our towels and clothes were soaked and we couldn't dry them. I thought it was expensive (3.00 for a wash) and the heavy duty tumble drier wasn't very good. I put in 4.00 for over an hour and the laundry (towels and socks etc) were still damp.

The washing up facilities, showers and toilets were clean but several times they ran out of loo roll and paper towels. The surrounding area is very picturesque with some lovely walks. We went to two pubs, The Boot Arms, great pub with excellent food and The Woolpack - not so good. We had nut roast and it was horrific!

All in a nice site but too remote for us.

Reviewer: Benjie62 1 review from this member

My husband and I have just returned from a 7 night stay at this camp. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The shop is well stocked and reasonably priced. The facilities are kept very clean.

We camped in a tent with electric hook up, which was very welcome as it rained most days and was useful for drying out!

There are a couple of pubs within walking distance but we did not use these.

The scenery is lovely and there are some good walks from the campsite so you do not need to take the car out if you prefer not.

The whole area is beautiful and you can walk for hours without meeting many other walkers!

However, there are some negative points as follows. It was peak season and so the site was very full. The facilities were totally inadequate for the number of people there. We constantly had to queue for toilets and showers. 4 toilets and 3 showers is not enough for, say, 100 women and children! (there was a parent and child room as well). The men's facilities had a similar problem.

While we were there the water pressure was very low most days. The showers stopped working altogether on a number of occasions. This was apparently due to external problems with water pressure and perhaps was a one off.

There was a laundry room with washing machine and drier. However, the price quoted for washing was 3 per wash but we and others found that 4 was needed to complete the cycle. The drier quoted 1 for 30 minutes - this was 20 minutes. The spin drier was no longer there and this would have been particularly useful as the washing machine does not spin as much and so towels and jeans in particular take longer to dry.

There were no recycling facilities on the site at all. This really needs to be addressed by their local council. People camping produce far more than normal in recyclable materials.

Reviewer: Alexmummy 11 reviews from this member

Beautifully situated campsite in a quieter part of the lakes.

The facilities are spotless - plenty of showers, including a handy family room, all free; a shop, a laundry room and a drying room (bring a padlock). There is also a trampoline and a play area for children. We had electric hook-up which was great for warming up after getting soaked!

There are three pubs within a few minutes walk of the site. We only ate at the Boot Inn, which has huge portions, and was very good value. Plenty of walks start straight from the campsite so you can leave your car and not worry about parking.

We'd definitely recommend it because it still feels like 'proper' camping as caravans are not allowed, but has the luxury of clean and warm facilities.

Reviewer: Jacs9303 4 reviews from this member

We have just returned having enjoyed a three night stay here. The owners are very helpful and hardworking. On arrival we were told the site would be full over the weekend. We were given the option of camping on a field off the main site but we wouldn't be able to park our car next to the tent. Having looked at the field and saw we could have great views of the hills we took it up and it was the right decision. Due to the number of tents in the main fields there was very little room between them.

The facilities are excellent. Toilet block was very clean and remained so throughout our stay. The shop was well stocked and open virtually all day and into the evening.

We went on the 9 mile Eskdale to Ravenglass cycle trail which was very enjoyable, but the hill to Muncaster was ridiculous, took us 25 minutes to push our bikes up it, and there was no decent view from the top.

We then took the steam train back to Eskdale as it was raining. I think this was something of a rip off. It cost 20.20 for two adult single tickets and their bikes (3.50 each bike).

The local pubs are ok, but seem devoid of any atmosphere. Maybe it is due to the fact they don't play any music. We had a good Sunday roast in the Boot pub, it wasn't bad value at 8.95.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely return in the future.

Reviewer: Mrbaggy 2 reviews from this member

Just returned from a five night stay on this site.

What a fantastic site it is and don't let any of the (in my opinion) undeservedly negative points from other reviewers put you off visiting.

Shower block was always very clean and never too busy even at the weekend when the site appeared full. Showers are hot, constant and fully adjustable.

Washing-up facilities are also first class, 5 sinks if I remember correctly. More than enough.

We stayed alongside the entrance road about 20 yards from the shop (Have a look for the tree with a face. Crazy!) and it was never too noisy and the site was whisper quiet by 10-11pm. Even during the day the family area was never raucous and looked really friendly. Beautiful view from our tent of the surrounding Boot Bank hillside.

Considering the facilities available this must be one of the best sites in The Lakes, I can imagine the NT sites are good but the facilities are basic I believe whereas everything at Eskdale is faultless in my opinion. Even the Stella was ice cold!

Excellent walking in the area and if I had bought my kids when when they were young we would have definitely taken the walk to Stanley Waterfall, they would've loved the river.

I would also recommend the 'step back in time' visit to the watermill a stones throw from the site, a fantastic little place, full of character, which is more than I can say for Muncaster Castle. It'll be a long time before I subsidise the toffs again.Not much of a 'hoot' I can assure you.More like 'twits'.Yes, it's also an owl sanctuary. They looked as unimpressed as we did.

One last note of praise to the owners and staff, when our car required attention in nearby Seascale they couldn't have been more helpful.

We will definitely return to this site, in a more substantial tent. Man did it rain!

Date of Visit: June 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Joshnosh 2 reviews from this member

This is an excellent campsite for exploring the north, west Lakes. It's not the easiest to get to, but that just increases it's charm. It's not huge; divided into 3 area's - 1 for tents, 1 for electric hook ups (tents and camper vans)and 1 area with camping pods, and some smaller tent pitches.

Everywhere is lovely and clean. Excellent produce at the shop, newspapers delivered for a price, play area for children and a self catering cottage. No caravans - I guess because of the remoteness. 2 pubs very nearby both serving breakfast. I love this site, have been 3 times and can't wait to go back.

Date of Visit: June 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Dafodil2919 2 reviews from this member

The camp site here is fantastic we loved it, it was our first time camping. The toilets / showers were really modern and clean, I agree with another reviewer they were more like you'd find in a hotel.

The kids loved the play area especially the trampoline although it was spring bank and it was busy!

The scenery was lovely and we as a family enjoyed walks and a trip on the local steam railway.I enjoyed the fact you did not need to use the car much.

But most of all the staff were very friendly and helpful considering when we were just about to leave the recent unfortunate events happened in the area. The staff looked after all the campers and their families in the camp site shop and for this I will always be grateful.

Date of Visit: April 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Timetoshine 3 reviews from this member

This is a great campsite.

We've been a couple of times and everything about it is fantastic. The owners are really friendly and helpful; even giving up their Sunday paper because I'd forgot to order one!

The toilet and shower block are immaculate and better than a few hotels I've stayed in.

There's a small play area tucked out of the way and a drying room for when its raining.

The location's great too, only a short walk from the Boot Inn where a pint of Dizzy Blonde can wash down a big slice of Boot Pie.

Eskdale and the surrounding area are all naturally beautiful and there are great walks to pass the day.

Date of Visit: June 2010 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Feeblecat 40 reviews from this member

A gem of a site. First visit and will be followed by many.

Very helpful and friendly wardens; great toilet and shower facilities; the best and cleanest chemical disposal point ever (so my husband says, I wouldn't know about such things LOL); shop sells all the basics; wonderful views; loads of different walks of all levels direct from site (you could park your car for the length of your stay); 3 pubs within a short walk serving meals (only ate in the Boot Inn but food was great); accessible for most of the Lakes attractions.

My only small gripe was that I felt some of the units were very close together but then again, I did chose to visit on one of the busiest weeks of the year - half term (purely accidental as I wouldn't normally chose such a busy time).

I wish I could have stayed longer and will definitely book to go again as soon as I can.

Previous     205 Reviews in total, now showing 91 to 100      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cumbria   -   Search for a site

Win a Atera STRADA DL 2 Tilting Bike Carrier worth 457.50 Win a 7 night holiday at Lee Valley Campsite, near London!

UKCS Meet Tribfest Festival 16th to 19th August, E Yorks
World's biggest tribute band festival. Family friendly. Discounted tickets and a chance to win some ...more