Visitor Reviews - Eskdale Campsite

Campsite Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Eskdale > Eskdale Campsite Reviews

Eskdale Campsite
CA19 1TH
Tel: 019467 23253  or  019467 23270

Open: 01/03 To 14/01

Tent Pitches   No Caravans   Motorhome Pitches   Glamping Units
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point
 Shop On Site   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   Wifi Access
 Fishing 5 miles   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   Cycle Hire 1 mile   Golf 1 mile   No Tennis
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  207 in total, now showing 61 to 70                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Susietwoshoes 1 review from this member

My Daughter, the dog and I stayed here in a Pod for a couple of days in late May. I cannot recommend this site enough. The staff were very friendly, the whole place spotlessly clean and the facilities top notch, specially the lovely hot showers. Granted it wasn't too busy at the time and I perhaps would personally avoid it during school holidays, but that is only my preference at this time of life. When my children were small it would have been different story.

There are several places to eat nearby, we went to the Woolpack where both the food and the service were brilliant. There was a warm welcome everywhere we went around this area for the dog which is very important for us.

We found the whole area charming and peaceful. This as our first outing to this part of the Lakes and made a complete change from the hustle and bustle of Keswick, Ambleside etc. ,

Do check the map carefully before setting out as we made the 'mistake' of going over Wrynose and Hardknott passes. I say mistake as it was a beautiful if somewhat scarily exhilarating journey over (just don't tell my husband where I took the car please). A much easier way to get there quickly from Scotland is down through Wigton, Workington way.

When doing anything in the Lakes you are dependant on the weather, Lake District weather being notoriously wet at times, it's best to go prepared. There won't be many campsites in the Lakes immune from the ravages of rain. We went for the walking, and were pointed in the direction of a lovely easy walk to Burnmoor Tarn, by another camper. This chap was a regular and knew most of the walks. The campsite shop also has information, sells maps etc. A good information point is also provided with plenty of leaflets, posters, short guides and a selection of magazines which can be borrowed.

I will most definitely be back here as I plan to

Bring my husband down for a trip on the 'Laal Ratty' steam railway. Next trip with Daughter however will be to use this campsite as a base for an expedition up Scafell Pike.

Thank you to the wardens for a lovely stay. I can't rate for child friendliness as had no children but would give 10 out of 10 for dog friendliness. I only rated down on the facilities because I feel that when extremely busy there may not be quite enough.

Date of Visit: March 2012 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Mattsmom 8 reviews from this member

This was our second time at one of the best campsites we have ever visited, well away from the usual popular areas of the Lake District. Ours is a fairly small unit as they don't accept large motorhomes or caravans, mainly tents, although they do have pods for hire, wooden structures with just electricity connected set alongside a little stream which runs through the site.

The campsite is set in the most idyllic spot; we don't move off at all as there are some lovely walks of all types from the site, an excellent pub just 100m along the road and the cafe at the station of the little steam train a few minutes walk away serves drinks and food during the day. However, do try to get to Drigg, long, quiet beach, always open to dogs and a nice little gift and coffee shop, a must-see.

The site itself has a well-stocked shop, open mornings and afternoons for a couple of hours but a telephone on the wall of the reception building allows you to get in touch with the managers at any time. The facilities are excellent, cleaned thoroughly every day, hot showers with free hairdryer, laundry, washing-up area, payphone-no signal for mobiles-and plenty of info on weather, walks, etc. , plus a play area for children.

The managers are delightful people, cheerful, friendly and eager to help. The only downside-it's apparently very popular during school holidays, bank holidays and weekends, so you do need to book then and I'm not sure if there are enough showers, etc. , to cope when very busy but always has a lovely peaceful and friendly atmosphere.

Date of Visit: November 2011 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Janwills100 30 reviews from this member

First visit to this area and oh what a pleasant surprise. It definitely is off the beaten track and 7 miles from the main road down lanes ( we were in a large motorhome) but worth it when you arrive. The site is 5***** all the way - the facilities are excellent, good shop, great owners and 3 great pubs in walking distance with very friendly staff. Great area for walking and if you want rural then this is the place - I would think its very busy in the summer. There is no signal for mobile or tv so be prepared to use pay phone and as previous people have said do not trust your sat nav stick to the main roads and use your map. Great place will definitely go back.

Reviewer: NCityFC 1 review from this member

What a lovely site. Lovely welcome from owners, gave us the choice of pitches to suit our means.

Great views, lovely clean facilities although the camp could hardly be faulted for a burst main pipe the day after we got there. The management coped tremendously well with the situation.

Boot is a bit isolated from the main towns so take lot of provisions, but for us that's what made it more special.

Lovely walks, 3 nice pubs in walking distance, the Woolpack and The Boot to us were the most comfortable, especially welcoming our Dogs.

Would def return again, one point though, don't trust your Sat Navs, ours kept pointing us to Hardknott which we ignored but still end end up going over Birker Pass to get to the site, I for one was not impressed. Stick to the main roads.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: AJ66 5 reviews from this member

Despite the wonderful scenery right outside your tent, I was disappointed with this site.

The showers/loos/washing up facilities were very good, clean with plenty of hot water etc, and the shop was well-stocked, however the site was very crowded (we had booked 2 pitches but ended up squashed onto what felt like one)

The site also flooded badly during heavy rains, and several people had to pack up and go after their tents were left in 6 inches of water. The large puddles did not drain away so for the rest of the week, various parts were cordoned off.

We won't be staying there again.

Reviewer: Minnie77 2 reviews from this member

We stayed here with two small children for a long weekend. This is lovely site with beautiful surrounding scenery.

The facilities were clean and well kept. Great site shop selling local meats and sausages and good selection of local beers.

The playground is small but more than sufficient to keep the kids entertained (it includes a trampoline).

It's a short walk to the village with a good choice of pubs. We also walked to the Ravenglass Railway which was a great family day excursion.

All in all a great site and we would definitely come back.

Reviewer: Amandamogan 5 reviews from this member

Eskdale ccc site is a fantastic site, the area is beautiful. The showers, toilets, drying room are all 5 star, I fear no other site will live upto these standards. All the staff so very helpful.

We (2 teenage boys my husband and I)arrived on the last Friday in July and stayed until Tuesday the weather was also fantastic.

We did not cross the pass (too scared).

The campsite was quiet after 11pm and all campers well behaved at all times.

Many walks straight from the campsite which was a bonus.

We ate at the Boot Inn the food was great and reasonably priced and the staff were nice.

Do take a trip to Ravenglass on the little steam railway, Ravenglass not very exciting but the steam train lovely.

Muncaster castle worth a trip stayed all day and had a picnic however, if the weather was bad Muncaster would not be much fun.

The on site shop supplied all the basics, so take plenty with you and only open for 4 hours a day this could do with extending slightly more so in the evening.

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Snaprails 13 reviews from this member

What a splendid site! An excellent location at the upper end of Eskdale, 5 minutes walk from Boot village and Dalegarth station on the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway.

The site is spread across 3 'fields', the middle one being predominantly level and the others gently sloping in parts. We had plenty of 'lake making weather' during our stay and parts of the site were soggy but the excellent site managers obviously knew where to avoid and allocated pitches to avoid the worst bits.

Even by C&CC standards the facilities here are posh. Good showers (not too low!) and scrupulously cleaned. With 3 showers & 3 WCs (in the Gents) I do wonder if capacity might be stretched in high season though? Site shop is well stocked and the managers are helpful and knowledgeable. I can confirm there is no mobile signal on Vodafone, T-mobile, or Orange. There's a payphone on site. Local pubs offer Wi-Fi.

There are 3 pubs within walking distance. I don't know what the other 2 are like but I can heartily recommend the Boot Inn. Proper friendly pub, good beer - quality and range, & interesting local characters. Food is great too. Most importantly they allow dogs inside. Actually let me re-phrase that, I quote Sean the landlord, 'we don't allow dogs in, we adore having dogs in'.

A point to note about the site location: If you are intending to make trips out to the rest of the Lake District, particularly Coniston, Windemere, etc.

You either have to drive around the long way, west then south or north, or turn left out of the site gate & go over Hardknott & Wrynose passes. These are entertaining / challenging / scary depending on your disposition but more importantly really only for light vehicles & no trailers.

Also in the mornings it can take quite some time as the road gets busy & is only single track. The views from the tops however are brilliant! Unless you're a nervous driver you HAVE to do it at least the once.

A great place to stay and one to which we'd be glad to return.

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Dr Del 1 review from this member

Brilliant time was had by me and my wife, we arrived on last night of local beer festival - bonus, if a bit noisy on Saturday night!

The site is easily the best site I have ever stayed at in 18 years of being a member of CCC. The campsite staff were excellent and went out of their way to be helpful; not too many dos and don'ts like some CCC sites either!

The location is fantastic, beautiful scenery and 3 great pubs close by; The Boot was my favourite, it also has free WiFi; food there was good as well, everything cooked from fresh at reasonable prices. As a real ale fan I pleased to find that I never drank the same beer twice in the six days I was there!

Climbed Scafell Pike, hard work but worth it for the views! Also cycled the Eskdale trail; note that if you plan to cycle it there is a very steep hill which may be difficult for children (and some adults), coming back you can put bikes on narrow gauge steam train back from Ravenglass if you pre-book.

It rained some days (Lake District), we stayed last night in a Pod as rain was forecast for next day and we didn't want to put tent away wet! Pod was nice but very dark at night (there are battery lights inside but would recommend a lamp as well).

Muncaster Castle is also worth a visit.

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Andrewd39 6 reviews from this member

Have just spent 3 nights here. What can we say, it was superb. Site owners very friendly and helpful, facilities were clean and tidy. Lots to do for children, including the trampoline ! The re-freeze of cool blocks was very helpful. Shop well stocked. Leave your mobile at home - not a bad thing.

Fantastic views, in what is a quieter part of the lakes. 5 mins walk to the Ravenglass railway, Wastwater nearby for canoeing and the trip home over Hardknott pass. Cannot fault it. We will be back.

Previous     207 Reviews in total, now showing 61 to 70      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cumbria

Win a 299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win an Outwell Electric Barbecue Package worth over 205

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire