Visitor Reviews - Eskdale Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Site Reviews

Eskdale Campsite
Tel: 019467 23253  or  019467 23270

Open: 01/03 To 14/01

Add this Site to your Virtual BrochureSave to Virtual Brochure

Tent Pitches   No Caravans   Motorhome Pitches   Glamping Units
 Kitchen Facilities   Freezer Available    Motorhome Point   Fully Serviced Pitches
 Shop On Site   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   Wifi Access
 Fishing <5 miles   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding   Cycle Hire <1 mile   Golf <1 mile   Tennis
 Beach   Watersports   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Waterside Location   Dog Walk   Public Transport <1 mile

Reviews:  205 in total, now showing 21 to 30                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21

Date of Visit: November 2014 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Sceptical Camper 38 reviews from this member

(For my full review of Eskdale C&CC site please scroll back to September 2013)

I have camped at Eskdale C&CC site before and, like other club sites, it is very well run and maintained.

The warden lives on site and I found Martyn and his team very welcoming and helpful. The site has a friendly and cosy atmosphere.

As on my previous visit, I found the facilities block well-equipped and with enough cubicles, showers and handbasins. I liked the large shower cubicles with stools and clothes hooks and there was plenty of hot water during my visit. The laundry room with washing machine and tumble drier is handy too. Everything was spotlessly clean.

For this brief visit in wet and cold November weather I opted to hire one of the site's camping pods. This was my first experience of camping in a pod.

At Eskdale, the pods are in a little copse and arranged in several clusters. I had to park my car some way away which was not an issue because I travel light but it would be tedious lugging things back and forth if you had a lot of stuff with you.

The pods are built of local timber and - appropriately to the Lake District - insulated with sheep's wool. Each pod sleeps three people and there is good headroom. You need to take your usual camping mat, mattress or air bed.

The wooden floor is covered by hard matting and there is a battery LED light which was fairly dim. A small gas heater is provided though I did not use it. Double doors give access from the outside wood decking area. Dogs are allowed in the pods.

Pods are hailed as an alternative to a tent when the weather is bad and I appreciated how windproof and rainproof the pod was. Camping in a pod is convenient and doubtless has a quirky appeal for some people but the pod failed to win me over - I much prefer camping under canvas. The pods are not a cheap option either.

Although I wouldn't choose to camp in a pod again I will definitely revisit Eskdale C&CC site. It is maintained to a high standard and I recommended it.

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Bambi13 16 reviews from this member

A lovely site clean, tidy and very friendly.

When we arrived we had not booked up front but had come from another one that we did not feel was us. We were booked in and on site with no fuss.

There is a shop on site that has most things you need. Also WiFi slow but it does work. Public houses near by that do lovely meals.

The only thing I can say about this site is that it is one of the best we have been on. Showers etc brilliant. Children areas looked good.

Views wonderful and plenty of walks and a steam train near by.

When we were on site there was a problem with a group of people that was delt with by the owner. This proves that the site stands up to it's rules. Very good, so many don't.

Would I go back most certainly.

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Tlck9 32 reviews from this member

Typical club site facilities. Clean, warm showers and pleasant washing up and wash hand basin facilities.

Pitches were not marked out and we needed quite a long lead for EHU. Water facilities were by the site reception & not close by. Not a problem for us.

The site had many small groups which obviously suited the lack of marked pitches. But very little noise after 11pm.

We were not able to get phone signal or tv. The site provided wifi for £2 per night which we could sometimes get.

Location - bang smack in beyween 3 pubs, didn't try them but they seemed popular with other campsite people.

The road through the site was used by children playing on scooters. Which had it been height of summer could gave been annoying but the odd one up & down wasn't a problem. We did ask to be pitched away from the main family area as we don't have children.

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Dk168 21 reviews from this member

A very friendly camp site with helpful owner-warden and staff.

Not a big site, and it does not cater for caravans due to narrow roads in the surrounding areas.

It is a good base for those who like to walk, and the camp site has produced its own guide with a few walks starting from the site itself.

The site is next to a small village called Boot where there are 2 pubs that appear to be popular with walkers and those who stayed at the camp site.

The site does not have much facilities for children except for a set of swings. However, the children on site while I was there managed to find ways to entertain themselves, especially the stream that runs through the site.

The shop on site is well-stocked with essentials and reasonably priced.

Facilities were very clean, as one would expect from a C&CC club site. The only niggle, and it is a very tiny niggle, is that the site only has one set of drinking water taps by the facilities block. It would have been nicer to have a few more dotted around the site.

Showers being non push-button type which is a rarity for a C&CC club site.

There was no mobile phone reception on site for Orange, and I believe it was poor to non-existence for other networks. There is a payphone on site in the Dishwasher/Information room. There is no Site WiFi (i.e. C&CC WiFi cards will not work), however, it has its own WiFi installed that costs 2.00 GBP per visit (bargain IMHO especially when there is no mobile coverage).

There is a waterfall close to the site and it can be quite distracting for some.

I pitched near the entrance by the road. Although not a busy road as such, the noise from cars/farm machinery can still be distracting for some.

The site used to be part of a farm, and there are livestocks grazing in the nearby fields, therefore, one should expect some noise from the animals.

One will be well-advised to follow the site's guide on how to reach the site using main roads in order to avoid the Hardknott Pass, as it is definitely not for the faint-hearted (I tried to cross it in my car and had to turn back).

All in all, a very nice site, and I shall definitely return in future.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Kpcamper 3 reviews from this member

Very hard to add much to the existing reviews except to affirm them. The site was relatively quiet as the English school holidays had not started and we camped Sunday to Friday. We were sited on the field that the road to reception goes through - with our back to the little stream running through the site. We had EHU and were offered a choice of sites - close to facilities or a little bit away, morning sun or evening sun. Pitch seemed flat although we realised there was a very slight slope in the bedroom. Had difficulty getting some pegs in (should have dug out the rock pegs). The facilities were spotless and there was plenty of information available including printed up to date weather forecasts for the hillwalkers. There was a free hairdryer in the ladies. Although we had no children with us we could see some having a great time on the trampoline on site. There are three good pubs within walking distance and great breakfasts at the Eskdale station cafe. We had very nice sandwiches made on request at the post office. Although I'm not a hillwalker we did manage some Wainwrights which can be done on circular walks directly from the site. My OH hates camping but agreed we will be back (he thinks he's going to get me up Scafell Pike).

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Fudge59 22 reviews from this member

Wonderful, wonderful site in a tiny village away from the coast. Pitches not too crowded together, nice views of the hills, although there isn't too much evening sun (even in June) because of the valley location. Good shop with local real ale, friendly staff, excellent facilities.

Nice walks from the site, we walked down to Ravenglass and took the train back up. There's also a good walk over to Wastwater, and many others, a glance at the OS map will give you many ideas.

We had a great meal at Brooke House Inn, and would recommend.

All in all an idyllic site for a stay, would go back in a heartbeat.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Wallyjg 3 reviews from this member

Just returned from the bank holiday weekend at this wonderful campsite. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. They even helped us out with a bulb which we failed to bring! Pitches were lovely and flat and even though it was busy due to it being a bank holiday, tents were still well placed. Have three fields for tents as well as pods and a camping barn so the choices here are endless. We also didn't need to use the car for the whole weekend as there are plenty of walks right from the site. We opted not to go over hardknott but instead went over birker fell. What a lovely drive to the site. Well worth the effort to get to this place. The shop has everything you could possibly need and although a little pricey, they are what you expect from a convenience store. Plus everything was fresh and because it was busy they even extended their opening hours to accommodate. Toilet block was spotless, showers lovely and hot. Miss the site already and can't wait too go back. Thank you for a wonderful weekend!

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Neltek 5 reviews from this member

Second visit here since it was taken over by the Camping and Caravanning Club.

This time went up with my 27 year old Khyam Igloo and newer atrium/porch.

No electric for me this time as just my 6 year old son and me.

The journey up from Worcestershire was awful and we didn't arrive till 22:30! I rang ahead and explained apologetically. They were great. When we arrived they came down upon me ringing from the phone at reception.

Again a lovely flat pitch. My son loved it - great adventure playground with tree swings and fun stuff. He also had lots of large field area to ride round on his bike.

Facilities are great - clean toilets, family room, washing up room and well stocked shop.

Staff were wonderful and couldn't do enough to help, dealing with panicky son when I had gone to do washing up, jump starting my car etc.

The area is lovely with amazing walks on the doorstep where you will hardly meet anyone all day, 2 pubs, a mill, a mini steam train that travels to the coast.

Fantastic site

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Raston 7 reviews from this member

We booked here last minute over the latest bank holiday weekend and we were not disappointed. The toilets were nice and clean with even fresh flowers in the toilets. Stunning views surround this site and with 3 local pubs within walking distance, I would not hesitate coming back. The pitches are not marked out, just lots of lovely grass for you to enjoy. Tents and campervans are pitched together which us always good to know if you have a mixed party. The people running the site were very friendly and happy to help with any issues we had. They even offer a newspaper ordering service which we took advantage of. There is a little park for the younger ones on the site and seemed to keep them happy.

The roads are a bit precarious if you are in a larger camper or motorhome and some of the roads leading to the site are single track with occasional passing points but please do not let this put you off - it's worth the effort! Sat nav stopped some way short of the site but if you carry on down the same road you'll find the place.

The Dalegarth railway is a few minutes walk from the campsite and takes you on a ride lasting 40 minutes to Ravenglass. We did this trip when they were having a family day on and they were painting children's faces on the platform. We had a nice friendly welcome at the Ratty Arms and enjoyed a nice meal there.

I would highly recommend this campsite, beautiful setting and it has a couple of pubs in your doorstep to keep you well watered and fed.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: LakesAdam 3 reviews from this member

To sum up this site - PERFECT!

We live locally in the Lakes so we tend to visit other areas outside of the Lake District, however this is this the only site we regularly visit inside the Lakes.

The site is run by the owner and his wife, very friendly and helpful. The site is immaculately kept at all times as well as the toilet / shower bloke with Lakeland slate floors, power showers (free) as well as a family shower room. The site is completely flat with both grass and hard-standing pitches. There is no mobile signal! But fortunately they have Wi-Fi available which covers the whole site.

Surrounded by fells, this is ideally for walkers of all levels to get out in the fresh air. Itís also less than a 5 minute walk to the Lalí Ratty steam train which connects through to Ravenglass Ė a must with kids! Reception is combined with a shop selling the essentials.

The site is also graced with three country pubs all within a short walking distance, all three offer really good food and real ales and they are all dog/child friendly. I would take a torch if you returning late as the roads are very dark Ė no light pollution here!

NOTE: There are two ways to get to the site, via Wrynose Pass or via Eskdale. If you are carrying a heavy load or towing you MUST go via Eskdale as you will not get over Wrynose (even with a 4x4) because itís very steep with very tight turns. Caravans will bottom-out.

Previous     205 Reviews in total, now showing 21 to 30      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cumbria   -   Search for a site

Win a Atera STRADA DL 2 Tilting Bike Carrier worth £457.50 Win a 7 night holiday at Lee Valley Campsite, near London!

UKCS Meet Tribfest Festival 16th to 19th August, E Yorks
World's biggest tribute band festival. Family friendly. Discounted tickets and a chance to win some ...more