Visitor Reviews - Brighthouse Farm Caravan And Camping Site

Campsite Search > UK > England > East Anglia > Suffolk > Lawshall > Brighthouse Farm Caravan And Camping Site Reviews

Brighthouse Farm Caravan And Camping Site
Melford Road
Bury St Edmunds
Lawshall
Suffolk   (Browse area)
IP29 4PX
Tel: 01284 830385  or  07711 829546

This site has an availability calendar. You can check for availability here

Special Offer available to UKCampsite.co.uk visitors - see here

Pitches: 40 NON REGIMENTED
Open: Jan To Dec

No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Baby Changing Facilities   No Laundry   Drinking Water   Disabled Friendly
 No Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   No Wifi Access
 Fishing 5 miles   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   Cycle Hire 1 mile   No Golf   No Tennis
 No Sea Views   Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 1 mile  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  154 in total, now showing 131 to 140                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16

Date of Visit: May 2007 Unit:  Trailer Tent
Reviewer: Hardencamper 2 reviews from this member

We arrived at the site in pouring rain, and was greeted by the owner, who showed us where to pitch and gave us a sheet of A4 of places to visit and general site information.  Which was very useful as the rain showed no signs of stopping and it was handy to know exactly where everything was without having to search for it.

After 3 days of continuous rain day and night, I asked Mr. Truin where the nearest laundrette was to dry some of our clothes.  He very kindly offered to dry them for us, although we did decline as the clothes were also quite dirty. (but I thought it was very kind of him to offer).

Site facilities were kept clean and tidy considering the adverse weather conditions Mr. Truin managed to keep the showers and toilet areas very clean and tidy, although the ladies loos did keep running out of toilet paper, and we ended up taking our own each visit.  There were two blocks of showers, the 50p showers were the best, a good long shower in a wet room, and the use of a hairdryer.  The other block of showers were in a large porta-cabin and were £1.00 I did not use these.  However, these rooms had a toilet and sink in as well.  So were useful for toileting and teeth cleaning before bed.  Water taps were spaced very well and most pitches were fairly close to a nearby tap.  The chemical loo disposal point was inbetween the shower and toilet blocks which we felt was not very hygenic or private, the disposal point was also a bit like an open sewer with a big black lid which you removed and replaced when you have finished.  The only other criticism would be that the only place to put rubbish was by the entrance of the farm in a large blue industrial type wheelie bin which was overflowing, and there were two big white bags also overflowing with rubbish, I think the site needed extra rubbish collections per week.

The washing-up area was in a large hall, the fridge/freezer did not work but Mr. Truin let us freeze our blocks in a large chest freezer in one of the barns.

On our 4th day the sun came out and the rain actually stopped, the site took on a whole new lease of life, there was plenty of space for playing cricket, football, etc, for the children, and cycling around the site.  The views were wonderful.  The Brighthouse walk would also be good if it hadn't been raining so much.

Whilst staying at Brighthouse we visited:
Banham Zoo, which was excellent.
The Anglo Saxon settlement - very good.
The Museum of East Anglian Life - well worth the visit.
Bury Bowl - very good with plenty of dry indoor activities for our children, two aged 13 and two aged 10.
There was also a continental market in Bury on Monday which was very interesting.
We had a meal at The Swan in Lawsall which was nice, however, the food at The Bush looked better.

By the end of our week I felt that the holiday had been very successful, considering the horrendous weather conditions.  I would consider staying at Brighthouse Farm again, and would hope for better weather!

I would recommend this site, as I feel the owner has worked very hard to make it a pleasant relaxing place, there is absolutely no traffic noise as you really are in the middle of nowhere.  However, local facilities include a Tesco Express shop which was very useful.

Date of Visit: May 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Tjarrett 5 reviews from this member

Really nice site for the novice. Inexpensive and friendly. Good level ground, well kept. Toilets and showers are clean. Only drawback, in the middle of nowhere, with no on-site shop, so take lots of snacks for the kids. We will be visiting again later in the year.

Date of Visit: April 2007 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Annf 2 reviews from this member

We spent four days over the Easter break at this site.  We chose the site for the views which lived up to the website description of panoramic views over the Suffolk countryside.

Although we were there over the Easter break there was always plenty of space to play ball games or for the visiting grandchildren to run around without getting in other campers way.

In the super-shower block there were four, each contained a shower, wash basin and wc, a shower here cost £1.  There were other showers for 50p.  There were plenty of showers and toilets all in good condition.

We spent a relaxing few days on the site or walking our dogs round the footpaths Odel, the campsite owner, had cleared and signposted.

A really good site particularly if you are looking for a quiet country break.

Date of Visit: June 2005 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Cat1974 5 reviews from this member

First time camping with our two kids and found this place to be perfect for our needs. We were the only tent there and there was only about 3 others caravans so we had total privacy. The best thing was the grass - perfectly kept. Showers/toilets are very clean. Very rural site so make sure you have everything you need. There were picnic benches which we ate our meals on. Had a lovely walk to the nearest pub through the farmers fields. We only stayed one night and will return in the future. Just a word of warning - a dog came galloping into our tent sniffing everything insight and was very excitable - jumping up at us etc. He popped our kids brand new ball and scared the living daylights out of them and me. I really didn't appreciate the fact that the owner of the dog just let it run amok through our tent trampling all over our bedding and he didn't give a hoot! The worst thing was that the dog actually belonged to the campsite owner himself! He really should have that dog under control and have some regard for peoples feelings.

Date of Visit: May 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Silverweb 15 reviews from this member

In a lovely spot, this campsite is very well laid out and unregimented.  The grass is kept mown and tidy and the planting of trees and bushes makes this a very attractive campsite with far-reaching views over the surrounding fields. The only downside I felt, were the showers - a bit hit and miss to say the least.  They were clean, but temperamental.  They are in portacabins - clean, tidy and well-presented - with a shower cubicle, loo and washbasin and an electric wall heater.  However, the temperature wasn't consistent - boiling hot and then cold. These cost £1.00.   The other showers, were set out as a wet room - two for men and two for women and cost 50p. However, when I tried to take a shower, whilst the other shower was in use - there was no water - only the merest trickle - like a dripping tap!  It would also be useful to have liquid soap in the loos as there is nothing to wash your hands with except water.

The nearest local shop isn't up to much at all, so dont rely on it.
There is a large washing up room - as someone said, like your village hall, but with only one sink.  They could really do with adding a couple more.

There are some lovely walks as mentioned in previous reviews and the owner is friendly and helpful.  You have plenty to visit with Lavenham close by and other pretty Suffolk villages.  We enjoyed our stay, despite the rain - and would recommend the setting (dont be put off by the collection of tatty caravans as you drive to the camping field!) - just wish the showers were reliable.

Date of Visit: October 2006 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Deg3y 6 reviews from this member

I first went to Brighthouse Farm in June 2006, stayed a week with my dogs & enjoyed the peace & quiet of the countryside. O'dell made me so welcome, nothing was too much trouble for him. The site is so clean, tidy and well laid out, with all the facilities needed for a pleasant stay, as soon as a pitch was vacated, out came O'dell on the grass cutter to clean the area up.

I liked it so much I returned for 9 days in October with a friend following me on 2 days later in her camper, she has decided to come back again.

As stated I have dogs, well the walks are well laid out including a 1.5 mile round trek private to Brighthouse Farm visitors.

I plan to go back again in 2007, once in June to see some of my mates & again later on in the year for a peaceful rest. I highly recommend this site.

Date of Visit: September 2006 Unit:  Trailer Tent
Reviewer: Gary wright 1 review from this member

We stayed on this site - it is beautiful many different trees and flat pitches. The grass also was in wonderful condition Bbury st edmonds is 15 mins away. It would be a wonderful site to stay at if in the area we wish we were staying longer but theres always next year!

Date of Visit: August 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Baileysman 1 review from this member

On arrival we instantly knew we would like this site, a very warm welcome from Odell and the sun shining across the corn feilds which surround this little slice of tranquility. The site is situated in the heart of the countryside, just a short jouney to both Sudbury and Bury St Edmunds.

Being a seasoned camper I know a thing or two about what to expect from a camp site, the toilet and shower facilities were clean and well lit, 50p to £1.00 will get you your own 'wet room', so if you are a first time camper who is concerned about the old sterotype of 'having to use the showers' you will have peace of mind.

Being a smaller site you feel part of the community, not overloaded or squashed together, odell makes sure of this by never getting overbooked.

Everyone we met at the site was polite and nodded hello, quite a contrast to town/city life, this is why we get away for short breaks like this.

We will definitely come back as soon as possible, a very refreshing break.

Date of Visit: July 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Mark m 1 review from this member

This is a beautiful site. It is very well maintained by the owners and is in a very secluded, and quiet position. I took my 9 month old, and 3 year old girls tenting for the first time so I was very nervous, however they thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I believe this was due to the fact that the site was so spacious, and the facilities were so clean and well maintained.

The owners are very friendly allowing you to basically pitch your tent whereever you wish. You can barbeque to your hearts content which also makes it more relaxed, especially after several bottles of beer!

The shower blocks and toilets are very clean, much better shower in the old blocks at 50p a go when the new ones are £1.00 a go
Although toilet roll is provided free of charge, it would be nice to have some hand soap to wash your hands. There is a local shop called Glebe Store which is literally 5 minute drive away, very handy. The main negative point about this site is the owners dog. First day it ran into our tent then into my daughters bedroom climbing over her bed which made me really angry. The third day it ran loose again (in front of the site owner!) and continued to pee against my tent and trailer. Again the owner just watched on without a care in the world which I find amazing.

Despite this I would return to this site as it is so lovely.definitely recommended.

Date of Visit: July 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Markos 6 reviews from this member

My wife and myself, and two friends with their two small children visited this site for a long weekend.

It's certainly an out-of-the-way site and you get away from the noise of traffic and the day to day hum-drum.

I did like the fact that you can pitch where-ever you like. And, as other reviewers have said, there are two pitching areas.

The one hemmed in with a tree line (and a few small trees dotted around) where people are encouraged to pitch up around the perimeter. This is where we stayed. We had the sunlight in the evening, but a bit shady in the morning until around 10'ish.

The other area is fantastic. You can pitch along the edge of a wheat / barley field looking across at field upon field as far as the eye sees. Unfortunately, we couldn't get both our tents into an available slot so that's why we weren't here. Arrive early would be my advice.

Showers (7/10): There are two showers for each gender that cost 50p. These are reasonable size "wet rooms" with a basin and a shower. The temperature is pre-set and your 50p seemed to go quite far. Functional, nothing too luxurious.

Then you have your £1 showers. There are four of these available to all. They're in cabins and are almost like your bathroom back home (no baths!).  A proper shower cubicle (with electric shower), a toilet, a basin, shaver socket & mirror and an on-the-wall electric heater. My first experience left me with my pound expired and me covered in soap suds, having to rinse off with cold water from the sink. However, the next go (in one of the other units) gave me ample time and even enough time for my wife to start her shower.

Toilets (6/10): I've down graded these a bit, but they're okay, functional, quite typical of campsite toilets. The urinals were a bit "ripe" on one of the hottest days of the year, but to be fair that's to be expected to a certain extent where the public are involved ;)

Pitches (8/10): Grass is neat and tidy, trees and shrubs were all quite pleasant. Slight slope going on, but nothing serious. What is a really good touch is that there are picnic tables (more or less per pitch) that included those rather nice wooden/canvas parasols.

Washing Up Area (7.5/10): This was indoors. Think of the kitchen area at your local village hall. Lots of cupboards, an oven, a fridge, a freezer and a double sink. We had very hot water one day, and then at a busier time it seemed to only have luke warm water, but it was free. I assume the oven was available for use but I've no idea! A big room! The fridge and freezer were handy, but I'm not a huge fan of sharing such things with other people! There's always someone who leaves it not quite how you would.

Out and about: I personally hate walking, and begrudgingly agreed to participate on the exploration. The farmer has done a fantastic job of making the walks available to the campers. You have to give him absolute credit for this. We only opted for the "short" walk though the wheat/barley fields and up into the village. Go left at the road and there's what seems to be a converted house that is the shop. It doesn't sell a whole lot, but the guy running it was pleasant enough. But had you gone right at the road (which we did by doubling back) and you eventually reach the pub. I think it was called the Swan. A delightful pub with an excellent beer garden where we scoffed down a ploughmans and chips. And maybe a couple of hours worth of beer :)  The mile and a half walk back seemed somewhat shorter than the walk there, but eventually we arrived back at the tent - possibly a bit of crimson colour thanks to the fantastic summer sun!

Final sum up:

Enjoyed it, would go back, but would try and get on the field side so we could take advantage of both the morning and evening sun. Take 50p's or £1 coins with you for the showers and take most if not all your food with you as you're in the wilderness somewhat!

Previous     154 Reviews in total, now showing 131 to 140      Next

Other Sites Near Lawshall      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Suffolk

Win Kids Camping Essentials worth £100! Win a BUZZ RACK Buzzpro Towball Platform

UKCS Meet Shackerstone Family Festival 31/08 to 01/09, Leicestershire
Includes arena entertainment, vintage cars, canal boats, planes, railways and much more! EXCLUSIVE Discounted weekend camping tickets ...more