Reviews of Brighthouse Farm Caravan And Camping Site

Campsite Search > UK > England > East Anglia > Suffolk > Lawshall > Brighthouse Farm Caravan And Camping Site Reviews

Brighthouse Farm Caravan And Camping Site
Melford Road
Bury St Edmunds
Lawshall
Suffolk   (Browse area)
IP29 4PX
Tel: 01284 830385  or  07711 829546

This site has an availability calendar. You can check for availability here

Special Offer available to UKCampsite.co.uk visitors - see here

Pitches: 40 NON REGIMENTED
Open: Jan To Dec

No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Baby Changing Facilities   No Laundry   Drinking Water   Disabled Friendly
 No Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   No Wifi Access
 Fishing 5 miles   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   Cycle Hire 1 mile   No Golf   No Tennis
 No Sea Views   Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 1 mile  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  155 in total, now showing 11 to 20                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16

Date of Visit: June 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Liz and Roy 1 review from this member

Our first visit to Brighthouse Farm was this Easter, for a long weekend. We loved it so much that we returned for a week in June. The site is in a beautiful setting with far-reaching views across the countryside. The pitches are extremely spacious and very well kept. There are wooden picnic tables and benches for outside dining.

The toilets and shower blocks are dated but fully functional. There are individual showers with loo and wash basin plus family showers. Excellent quality soap and toilet rolls made a pleasant change from some of the places we have stayed!

The farm is on a quiet country road with Sudbury, Bury St Edmunds, Long Melford and Lavenham a short drive away.

The Swan pub has a lovely garden area and the food at The Bush is excellent.

If you like to get away from it all, breathe in the fresh air and relax Brighthouse Farm is the destination for you.

A warm welcome awaits you from Odell and his beautiful Weimaraner Spice.

Date of Visit: June 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Fuzzyfreak 29 reviews from this member

I was only here for one night with the camper and I'd picked the hottest day of the year, so saw it in all its glory. I turned up with only fifteen mins to spare for a cab to take me to a nearby village. The owner wasn't around and his lovely mum insisted on showing me the house, so by the time I had found a pitch, my cab was waiting! The pitch was in the corner under a tree and I'd picked the opposite end of the field to three Mums and their seven unruly kids, so as the sun shone on this beautiful site, the birds sung and the Mums shouted as the kids shouted back - bliss.

I got back around midnight to find the kids (who, by the way were no older than six) still up and still being shouted at by the Mums - that said, I slept very well.

I got up early and took myself to the showers, only to find it not working - took me a while to realise that I needed a token, essential information that I had missed with the owner not being around on my arrival. I then had to vacate and clean a shower cubicle I didn't even use!

As an avid, long time and seasoned camper, one of my biggest bugbears is paying for showers - if it is really that expensive, then for goodness sake, just charge an extra quid a night but don't make us campers have to faff around with coins or tokens!

I left via the house, knocked on the door and was this time greeted by Dad, nobody knew where the owner was, so I handed over my money and left.

A funny experience but I will say that I saw a very beautiful camp site located in an incredibly rural and lovely part of England.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Suejod 2 reviews from this member

Just spent two very relaxing weeks on this lovely site, very friendly owner and Spice, his dog. Although busy at weekends we had a quiet spot with a view over the surrounding fields, ideal for walking our dog. The site is central for visiting the coast, Cambridge and many other interesting places within easy reach. A choice of excellent village pubs nearby, no shortage of coffee shops and Long Melford was ideal for shopping - has a brilliant fabric shop. We prefer to stay on farm sites and can only say in response to previous comments. If you want 5 star facilities on site don't use a farm site. And you will certainly have to pay three times more for the privilege. Best wishes to Odell and his family for the future

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sam1972 1 review from this member

A lovely site. Spacious and very well kept. Odell is always really helpful and friendly. A really relaxing site with beautiful countryside views and walks. Loads of space for kids to play (and adults)! Recommend this site and we return every year. Family showers are lovely and last a lot longer than 3 minutes. 😆😆😆

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Andy 8 1 review from this member

We were looking for somewhere dog friendly to take our caravan on it's maiden voyage not too far from home and settled on Brighthouse Farm based on the positive reviews posted here. On arrival we couldn't find anyone to 'check in' with so found a pitch with the help of a fellow camper. The site did not disappoint, un-regimented secluded pitches set in the most beautiful surroundings with uninterrupted views of the countryside. The site had a nice vibe to it, very friendly people having a quiet relaxing time. The facilities are comprehensive, although we both thought that the showers and toilet blocks could have been cleaner, but not a deal breaker for us. There is no shop on site or in the village so be prepared for a drive out in order to resupply. We would definitely return here, it's a beautiful place.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Lisamarie868 1 review from this member

We have just returned from 2 nights camping at this site as a family. It is in a beautiful setting and it is a lovely walk to the local pub. We went to the pub at lunchtime to book for the evening but unfortunately they were fully booked so be warned! We did however manage to get a pizza company to deliver to the site which was great!

We had a lovely time as weather was very good, the setting is beautiful and the pitches are spacious. As in earlier reviews the site has such potential but is badly let down by the cleanliness of the washrooms. The owner needs to employ some staff at busy weekends as the showers and toilets were hardly cleaned. The toilets really were disgusting at times, no toilet paper and wet floors, say no more. We were with friends and 2 of us had freezing cold showers on one occasion and also experienced no hot water for washing up. The owner was a really nice guy very chilled about pitching and paying but I couldn't do more than 2 nights, and wouldn't go back for the reasons stated. If you have a motor home or a caravan with your own washroom facilities then don't hesitate to go, if you're in a tent, think twice about it, but probably OK if you avoid peak times.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: LizMc 4 reviews from this member

A group of 8 adults stayed here in 2 tents for the long weekend. The grounds of the campsite were really nice and there were nice views over the surrounding farm land. We stayed in the triangular patch of land at the far edge of the site and found this to be nice and peaceful. We did find that when we walked through the inner fields to the toilet block it was pretty closely packed in with tents although this may have just been large groups as you can pitch up where you want so don't let it put you off.

Upon arrival we found the site clearly signposted on the road but that was where the signs stopped. As this is a working farm you drive into the courtyard among lots of farm buildings and caravans in storage and it's not clear where you need to head to for the campsite but also whether you need to check in first. We drove around until we found the campsite and space for 2 tents and then went to find the owner who was walking around the site. He came over to check we were setting up in a suitable spot and then pointed out where the toilets, showers, washing up and mini 'shop' were - we can't fault his friendliness while we were staying (he makes regular trips round to make sure everyone is ok and to collect payment) although when I phoned to book a while ago it was a different story. Someone had said he would phone me back when he returned for the day and after a few days I still hadn't heard anything. So I phoned again and someone else answered and said they'd go and get him. I had explained the situation to them so would have thought they could gauge that it wasn't particularly urgent but a few minutes later I was greeted by the owner saying, quite rudely, 'This had better be good as you've got me out the bath to speak on the phone'. I was quite startled by this response and said he needn't have got out the bath to speak to me but he then made the booking for me anyway.

There are a couple of things that really let this campsite down and for that reason we all agreed we would not return here. As per other reviews we found the toilet and shower blocks pretty appalling. It was a busy weekend in the peak of summer but I still don't think that's acceptable as I've stayed in other places at busy times and never found the situation to be this bad. The facilities were filthy most of the time and the floors constantly wet, even when it was dry weather. There's only hand soap in the actual toilet blocks (which are really cramped and there aren't enough of) and not in the self contained rooms (toilet/shower/sink) which also don't have a hand dryer. It seemed like only 2 of these 4 rooms were open while we stayed there which is a shame as the was often a queue for the facilities.

The other thing that lets this site down is the washing up area for campers. There's a sink (may have been 2, I can't remember as I didn't wash up myself) inside the old farm building where the 'shop' is and with the site at full capacity this wasn't enough. The hot water also didn't get any hotter than warm so we had to resort to filling up a washing up bowl with hot water from the toilet block which wasn't ideal.

On a general note we found the site to be a bit confused as to whether it was a campsite or a farm and with a bit of tlc (primarily on the toilet blocks!) this site could have potential. Unfortunately we've been put off for good so won't be returning and also wouldn't recommend to other campers.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Pevenseypeter 4 reviews from this member

The actual camping area is nothing but superb and can't be faulted. Nor can the supply of hot water. However, the 4 days we were there no cleaning of toilets, showers or washing up area was done. The showers haven't even got a bin in them. This is a working farm so you expect a bit of a mess, but the whole place, away from the site, is like a tip. The bin area was disgusting and overflowing, broken bottle not cleared up for two days. It is such a shame, could and should be such a great place to camp and chill out, but there is no way we will go back there.

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Smitch999 2 reviews from this member

We have just returned from a 2-night stopover at Brighthouse Farm. We were very impressed by how well kept the site is, and the owner was very friendly and helpful.

The pitches are open plan which ensures lots of space, and we chose a spot which had a lovely view across open fields. The Swan Inn at Lawshall is a must for a visit, the food is excellent.

There is a bus that goes from either Lawshall village or a mile up the road from the site. On a Saturday it runs back and forth to Bury St Eds once in the morning and brings you back at 1pm (no service after this). We found this site to be extremely peaceful and relaxing and would visit again. The only criticism I could make is that the showers operate by token, cost a pound each and (according to the owner) only last for 3 minutes. This would be too expensive for how long I take to have a shower, so I used the one in our van.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Foxylady83 3 reviews from this member

We have just returned from a wonderful 2 days at Brighthouse Farm and can highly recommend the site. Pitches are spacious with lovely views over the farm land and there is plenty of space for dog walking around the fields. Facilities are good, especially the showers, which require a 1 token but you get bags of hot water and lots of time for your money. My husband and I shared, with water to spare. There are plenty of toilet and shower combinations and a good indoor washing-up area. The outstanding features of the site for us were the hospitality shown by the owner , who couldn't have been more friendly or helpful, the lack of officious rules and regulations and the general atmosphere of camaraderie. We would recommend:

1. Walking to the local pub The Swan for a brilliant meal (but book first). About 15-20 minutes walk across the farm and up the road, on a pavement

2. Walking the St Edmunds long distance footpath. We walked 17 miles to Lavenham and Long Melford with our dogs and had a great day out. It is well signed and mainly through arable land with no livestock

Many thanks. We will be back next year!

Previous     155 Reviews in total, now showing 11 to 20      Next

Other Sites Near Lawshall      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Suffolk

UKCS Meet Motorhome and Caravan Show 15/10 to 20/10, NEC Birmingham
All the new 2020 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans plus 1000s of accessories ...more