Visitor Reviews - Exe Valley Caravan Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Somerset > Site Reviews

Exe Valley Caravan Site
TA22 9JN

Open: 16th March To 15th October

Add this Site to your Virtual BrochureSave to Virtual Brochure

Electric Hookups   Hardstanding Pitches   Adults Only   Show Full Facilities
 Kitchen Facilities   Freezer Available    Motorhome Point   Fully Serviced Pitches
 Shop On Site   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   Wifi Access
 Fishing On Site   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   Cycle Hire   Golf   Tennis
 Beach <10 miles   Watersports <5 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Riverside Pitches   Public Transport On Site  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  188 in total, now showing 61 to 70                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19

Reviewer: Trigvan 4 reviews from this member

Lovely site in beautiful surroundings. Site is a bit open and some of the hardstanding pitches are sideways on but we liked this because we could have our doors facing out towards the river. There is some road noise but didn't find it too bad. Clean and well kept site and friendly. The facilities block with showers is a bit old fashioned and not great (shower curtains that stick to you and not much space) but was fine and clean. The toilet block was much better and modern fitments. Free wifi in the hut near reception and can pick it up nearby but not around the site.

There are lovely walks direct from the site and leaflets you can take with you detailing them. A nice pub is a short stroll away and dog friendly. Small shop for basics. The walk into Winsford is lovely and the village is really pretty. Lovely cream teas and the pub is nice.

The off lead dog exercise area is brilliant. River one side and mill stream the other. It is not entirely secure as there was no gate at the entrance into it but you can walk far enough in for this not to be a problem and it is so lovely for people and dogs that no dog would want to run out of it.

Would definitely visit again.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Geoffprinter 10 reviews from this member

When I go camping I have a little list in my head of things I would like the site to have. Adults only, nice large grass pitches, at least 10amp hook up, friendly helpful wardens, free hot showers, freezer for our ice blocks, clean toilets, chemical waste point and probably most of all a nice looking camp site. Anything else is really just a nice surprise. So when I booked to go here and was given the price which compared to some of the other sites we have visited was really well priced, I wasn't really expecting much more than my basic wish list. How wrong was I. Not only did I get my wish list it surpassed everything I hoped for. The wardens were so friendly and helpful I cant praise them enough. The site looks wonderfull with the River running down one side and the mill stream down the other and when you stand back and take in the back drop I just loved it. The site is next to the road but you wouldn't know it apart from the odd bit of traffic. Being near the road did make it handy for the local pub about 150 yards away which we thought served really nice food. I have noticed a couple of less than positive comments on here about the landlords which really is nothing to do with the camp site and should have no bearing on the reviews of the campsite. We chatted with the landlord anyway, he seemed ok to me. Anyway we were only interested in the quality of the food anyway. So back to the site. As I have said there were many little bonuses for me. FREE WI/FI. 5 channels of tv (extension leads supplied by the site) This was a really nice little FREE extra we have never had anywhere else. Its an analogue signal they get somehow (Don't ask me how but it does work). New washing m/c arrived while we were there also a tumble dryer. Which according to my wife were very reasonably priced (so that's good enough for me). A microwave oven, iron and indoor washing up facilities. Again I agree with others the shower block will need updating but I'm sure the owners are on it as they have have put in 2 nice new toilets and wash basins in a separate block. But don't be put off by the dated showers they still work fine and are clean, which is the main thing. All in all a really lovely site and one I can guarantee we will be visiting again. Just a quick thank you to the owner for starting up the mill wheel especially for us and showing us the workings which he normally does on a Sunday but we had to leave Thursday.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Glamper Wendy 2 reviews from this member

We realy enjoyed our stay at this site despite the awfull weather. We loved the big pitches and thought the owners and warden were very friendly. We were greeted with a nice cup of tea. Hubby had coffe, which went down very well after our long journey. The showers were nice and hot but I think they could do with updating. Evertime someone opened the door to the shower rooms the curtain round the shower clung to you so maybe glass doors would improve that. They were as clean as they could be concidering the awfull weather. Not sure if there was heating in there though as didn't feel that warm but once you were in the shower it was'nt too bad. So dryed off in the shower rather than just outside where the stool was.

I thought the actuall site was realy lovely. A beautiful river running through it and the Mill stream on the other side. There is a little information shed to get ideas of where to go ect. And the shop had most basic things you would need. The utility room had a nice new washing machine and also a tumble dryer that only cost 50p for 20 mins drying time which I thought was very good and it dryed my clothes in that 20 mins so didn't have to top up. Think the washer was 1. 50 but cant remember now.

We ate in the pub opposite a couple of times. The food was reasonably priced and what we had was lovely. So was very convienient for us. Will definitely go back there again as still lots to see and do. There are plenty of places easy to get to from this site. Would reccomend Tarr Steps and Lynmouth and Linton, had lovely days out there.

Reviewer: Broadnorfolk 1 review from this member

Lovely to be greeted with a choice of tea or coffee on arrival by very helpful & friendly wardens. Very tidy & clean site, grass cut short & cleared up so it does not end up in your caravan etc. Excellent dog walk by the stream. Also plenty of dog walks on footpaths But watch out for ticks or dog got 6 in the week. Showers good and hot at the different times of day that we used them. But the shower cubicles could do with an overhaul, and the cleaners could do with getting the cobwebs down from the ceilings. Did not try the local pub as planned, do to other campers saying how rude the landlady was, We will be back hopefully next year.

Reviewer: Goaler 1 review from this member

Well what can I say that has not already been said, the wardens were very helpful, they keep the site immaculate, the dog walking area was great as dogs could go in the water, what a lovely site, the toilets could do with a good clean as cobwebs everywhere. The showers are ok but could do with updating as tiles dirty and mould around the window. Tried the local pub on our first night at the site as had friends staying at the site as well. And thought we would use the local pub a few times, But once was enough. As the owners were not that welcoming and gave one the impression of what are you doing here. Will most definitely return to the site again, well done.

Reviewer: TEENAR 5 reviews from this member

What a lovely experience. This is a lovely campsite. Great location. The river one side, which has sun in the morning and the mill stream on the other which gets the sun until later in the evening. The wardens were great, very welcoming. They gave us a choice of tea or coffee on arrival. They told us where everything was. The pitches are marked out but there isn't a strict rule of how you pitch, as long as you respect your neighbours space. There is free WIFI but is is very very slow. The toilet/shower blocks were clean and tidy. A free hair drier in the ladies. There is also a new toilet block which is lovely, very modern.

If you walk to the end of the field, which is the dog walking field, there is a weir and a bench to sit on. The fields are very well manicured.

There is lots of information in the cabin, ie walks, drives, photos of the site in the snow. There are lots of books and magazines.

On Sundays they open up the Mill and you can have a tour with the couple that live there. It's very interesting. The chap takes you round the Mill and explains how it used to work and what things are, then you go upstairs into their house and his wife gives more of the history about it. It's lovely that they do that I thought and to let us campers into their beautiful home.

The weather was fabulous. We did one of the walks, the Heritage walk which is the shortest and we saw some lovely sights.

All in all a great break. We would definitely recommend it!

Reviewer: Sue Paul 61 reviews from this member

Third time here all for one reason, because its great !

I wish I could say many nasty things to keep people away so it stays nice and quiet but I can't, sadly.

Kath and Paul the wardens are lovely kind helpful people and run the place so well, this always makes it warm and welcoming.

If Carlsberg made Dog walks, this would be the one, dog swimming etc at its best, pure joy for Dogs and there owners.

My only wish is that wifi could be site wide not just in or near the wifi shed, but that's all.

Please read this and keep stum, tell no one :O)

Reviewer: Jean17 2 reviews from this member

Spent our anniversary here last August a lovely site very peaceful, the shower block could do with an upgrade as the showers were very cramped, generous space for the pitches.

Lovely villages nearby.

The wardens were very friendly and helpful good stocked shop.

There is a wonderful pub just up from the site which is in walking distance the food was very good.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Dubdogs 118 reviews from this member

We had a two night stay over a busy weekend in August and had a really good relaxing time.

We picked the site based on the reviews and the fact it is adults only, which was a real plus for us. The site is very well maintained but keeps a rural charm. The facilities were good and kept clean; there is a new toilet block that really is hotel standard.

The setting is very nice with the mill stream and river on each side. For us it is the little things on a site that make the difference, the information hut was excellent, with numerous walks that could be done directly from the site and lots of driving routes too. We followed one of the walks for a nice 6 mile walk on the Saturday and on the Sunday as we left, took one of the driving routes; we enjoyed both and thought they were a nice touch.

The shop is site is well stocked with the essentials. There is also free Wi-Fi, which is a bit intermittent, but there if you need it.

The pub is close by and welcomes dogs. We ate in the pub on the Saturday evening and found the food to be average really, but the ale went down well. If you have a dog, it is worth booking as there are limited tables in the bar where they are allowed.

The site is definitely one to which we'll return and probably makes its way in to my top 5 favourite sites.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Stoldol 12 reviews from this member

This is a fantastic site. The wardens are very friendly and work hard to keep it extremely tidy.

The toilets and showers were spotless and even though it was busy you never had to wait.

There is a lovely space down by the weir to exercise the dog or just sit and watch the water. There are plenty of walks and maps available, but be warned the hills are very steep. It may just of been the time of year but there were a lot and I mean a lot of scruffy looking Pheasants around, so if your dog likes to chase your best to keep it on a lead. Our working Cocker isn't much use on a shoot so we didn't have a problem.

There is a nice pub in the town and the village of Winsford is worth a visit.

With it being adults only and having a 10 year old it would be difficult to return, but it was such a lovely site it would be worth the effort to try.

I would definitely recommend this site.

Previous     188 Reviews in total, now showing 61 to 70      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Somerset   -   Search for a site

Win an Babyhub SleepSpace Travel Cot worth 149.99 Win a OLPRO Knightwick 3 Tent

UKCS Meet Motorhome and Caravan Show 16 to 21 October, Birmingham NEC
Hundreds of caravans, motorhomes, tents, folding caravans and 1000s of accessories all under one roof! ...more