Reviews of Fisherground Campsite

Campsite Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Eskdale > Fisherground Campsite Reviews

Fisherground Campsite

No Horse Riding   Cycle Hire <1 mile   Golf <1 mile   No Tennis
 Beach <5 miles   Watersports <5 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Not Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <5 miles  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  211 in total, now showing 101 to 110                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22

Our site is open and we are taking bookings , please be assured you can book with confidence. Our toilets are Open. Our showers are Open. Other communal areas may be restricted - please check with us for more information

To enquire about a booking or for more information please contact us

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Melly72 2 reviews from this member

A group of 3 adults and 3 children. Clean and child friendly site. Stunning views and a great place for kids to explore. No shop but we didn't miss it and the 10pm curfew was fine, we were all knackered anyway!

My only gripes are:

The staff- they are forever driving around on quad bikes! Please- give it a rest! Noisy and obtrusive. On more than one occasion we had a warden peering over our wind breaker appearing to 'check out' what we were doing and checking the dog was tied up whilst sidelining us with conversation.

Secondly I'd agree with Nellymack 50 pence a shower is expensive. Esp as they last long enough to get shampoo on but not the conditioner!

Finally- the barrier comes down at 9pm, therefore cars are not allowed in or out past this time. If you're out for a meal and want a late nght i.E. After 9pm your car has to be left outside the barrier, which could be quite a walk to your tent. A pain and I don't really see the need.

All in all a good site with fabulous views, walks and adventures for kids but overshadowed by the 'paternalistic' nature of the staff.

Reviewer: Kathsav 3 reviews from this member

We visited Fisherground during the half-term break with friends to celebrate our sons 6th birthday. He specifically requested his favourite campsite (we have visited several times before) and his mates were not disappointed - it is a child's dream with the playground, rafting pond, minature train on site and a big hill, woods and a river to explore nearby.

I would have to agree with the comments about the site feeling much busier than usual and the owner did seem a bit stressed out with it all. However, the site and facilities still kept clean and the owners were very helpful when my husband had an accident with a penknife (boys and toys!) and needed urgent help. Thank you again if you read this.

Reviewer: Kazzy25 3 reviews from this member

We decided to try this site for the weekend as a treat for the kids and they weren`t dissappointed, apart from feeding them they spent all their time on the rafts in the pond and on the play area, the only thing missing were a couple of swings for under 3`s.

There is plenty of room to pitch and all the wardens were friendly and helpful.

The facilities were clean and 50p for a shower that was good and hot was fine, there was always hot water when we used the wash up, I didn't use but I noticed a washing machine £1.50, 3 tumble dryers 50p(not sure how long for), there was a freezer and also a warm cupboard for drying shoes over night!

We had a good time and will probably go again though I echo the prevous review as regards large tents, we have a large tent, we have 8 children, you pay per person on this site and we probably took up less room than 2 families camping together, we too heard talk of surcharges for large tents so will be watching with interest!

All in all this was a great site and the campfires were good fun, the children had their marshmallows, the scenery is lovely and there are walks everywhere, the little steam train is lovely as it stops at the bottom of the field.

Will return I`m sure in the not too distant future.

Reviewer: Argento 3 reviews from this member

We have just returned from this fab campsite! Set in lovely grounds with good facilities and best of all you can light a camp fire!

The children's play area is fantastic (have plenty of changes of clothes and remember their swimming gear, unlike me who forgot). Be careful not to camp too near to the stream and children's play area as we were bitten to death by midges. The whole site has lovely, more or less flat pitches, so there was plenty of choice.

Wood is on sale for a very reasonable £3.50 per bag and have 50p for the showers, which are very warm as is the washing up water.

There is a small shop in Eskdale a short drive away, which appeared to sell everything!

This is clearly a very popular site with families and there are a lot of children, so if you want peace and quiet, perhaps think about going somewhere else. It was particularly busy this weekend and as usual the ladies had to que for the loos and the showers.

The Ravensglass miniature railway runs past the campsite and has it's own stop. It's worth a visit although a little pricey.

We thoroughly enjoyed our weekend despite a torrential downpour and would highly recommend the site, which is extrenely well organised and there doesn't appear to be a problem with the size of tents - there were many huge ones there this weekend. Enjoy!

Reviewer: Evil in Tent 6 reviews from this member

Much as I dislike giving a poor review I feel I have no option to give Fisherground a thumbs down after recent visits.

In recent years I've used this site a lot as it provides a handy base for some good walking with the added bonus that they allow open fires.

I don't make excessive noise and, as far as I'm aware, I've never caused disturbance to other campers, but right from the outset, instead of a cheery welcome, you're given a brief lecture about all the rules you must follow or else! 'Fortunately' the person on 'guard duty' recognised me from previous visits, so followed up the list of 'do not's' with an apologetic 'I know you've stayed before but we have to tell everyone'.

Reviewer: Madinsdale 3 reviews from this member

I come to this camp site every year at least two or three times and am usually never disappointed. I have three children, and it is perfect for them, they are simply entertained all day long with the pool and play ground. There are some splendid walks in the area, which really makes this place a top class site.

The other factor that is a real plus is being able to have campfires. The toilet and shower block, once again is always kept up to, considering the size of the site.

Not sure if the owner was having an off-day, he was clearly not happy with large tents and I over-heard several conversations from campers in respect of this. He told me they were considering banning large tents, or perhaps charging extra, but considering you pay by the number of people Iím not sure if this is perhaps a little unfair

There were several large tents pitched over the half term week, both tunnel and pod style, and whilst some look bigger than others, i.E. The Outwell XL and Vango Amazon 800 look massive, many of the pod tents take up more pitch size, but look smaller and therefore are not frowned upon. I would rather each campsite clearly state the maximum pitch size they are happy to cater for.

This is a family campsite, I have a large family, so I need a large (ish) tent, 2 adults, 3 children and a dog. Do I need to take two smaller tents and split up my family? Whilst I will pay the same, I will take up more space (but still only one fire pit).

This is the first time I have seen them organizing where people should pitch, but Iím not sure this really helped because campers usually pitch here with both consideration to others, but are also able to maximize the available room, so for me this time it was cramped around the edges but with lots of un-used space in the middle, which was more obvious when looking down from the hill behind the site.

Whilst I will continue to use this site because it offers such a lot (if I am able to do so with my large tent), I am concerned that people with large tents will be turned away. I hope the owners read this site and will put our minds at rest.

Whilst the male owner seamed to be unhappy about everything this week, the lady (sorry donít know her name), was as pleasant and helpful as ever. Perhaps it was just an off week with many campers getting out for the first time this year.

Reviewer: Louisaj 4 reviews from this member

Have just returned from a great Bank Holiday weekend at this site. We arrived on the Saturday for 3 nights, pre-booked as we wanted EHU. The site was full to capacity for non EHU pitches and people were being turned away.

The site itself is great, but I felt too many people were packed in and there were cars nose to bumper, with some people even having to drive around to look for space to park as they couldn't get by their own tents.

As mentioned in previous reviews, the pond, rafts, rocky outcrops for climbing and play area are fantastic for the kids, but take lots of extra clothes, as they will be constantly wet.

The weather was fantastic, so mud not an issue, but we have been here before when it's wet and the site does get very muddy, so pack the wellies!

The site is kept very clean, the showers and toilets are basic but kept as clean as possible, but with only 3 showers, 4 sinks and 5 loos in the ladies, there were major queues on the Sat and Sun mornings and evenings and the water was cold. The facilities are cleaned at 8am, 1pm and 4.30pm. I had showers around 5pm, the water was lovely and hot and it was empty.

The showers take 50p's and it seemed your 50p went further the less busy it was! I was able to shower, wash and condition my shoulder length hair for £1! Also, put in one 50p at a time, not all together.

There were no queues on the Monday or Tues as the site had emptied quite a bit.

There are 5 sinks in a covered area for pot washing, there were queues here too at the usual meal times on the Sat and Sun.

There are, I think, 2 washing machines and 2 tumble driers, a boot drying cupboard and freezer for freezer blocks.

If you are going for the EHU pitches, try to request one away from the gravel path. On arriving, we didn't realise the path that ran along side our pitch was the main thoroughfare to the toilet / shower / pot washing block. This was not a problem during the day, but we spent the nights being woken by the crunch of gravel and people talking on the way to the loos!

The 10.30pm curfew was not really enforced, with a couple of groups making noise until around 12/1pm which I was disappointed about, but then again, it was absolutely packed, so there is bound to be some who don't really care.

The area around the site is beautiful with plenty of walks. We took the train from one end of the line to the other, getting off and on and having a wander round when we felt like. An all day ticket for 2 adults and 1 child was about £28.

We also went to Drigg beach, about 4 miles from the site. This is a huge beach, nice and clean and virtually empty. Take all you need as no shop on beach, although there is shop/cafe etc in Drigg itself.

We also had lunch in The Boot, in Boot Village about a mile from the site. We only had sandwiches, which were a little disappointing, normal sliced white and a bit dry around the edges; however, the meals looked lovely. The pub had a family room / conservatory which is ideal if you have younger children and a nice beer garden. There was also a shop, an old corn mill and a telephone box, which was handy as we could not get signals for our mobiles (O2, vodaphone and Tesco.

The owners are very friendly and worked really hard over the weekend.

I would definitely go back here, but would love to go mid-week when it is a bit quieter as the Bank Holiday crowds were just a bit too much.

Reviewer: Fox1028 1 review from this member

We have just spent 2 nights at Fisherground. This was our very 1st camping trip as a family (3 out of 5 family members didn't want to try camping), luckily for us other 2 members every one loved this site and didn't want to go home.

We have 3 kids aged between 9yrs and 15yrs and they all loved it. The rafting was a big hit with the younger ones as was the play park. (we hardly saw them).

The little train station on site (we never used as we had used the train on a different occasion) was an added bonus. The walk on the fells with our dog and my eldest was lovely and was so easy to get too.

The showers and toilet block and washing pot area which were very clean with added tumble dryers (these were so handy with the kids playing on the rafts), they also had a washing machine and a place to dry yr boots and trainers.

The nearest shop (which sells practically every thing you could run out of or forgot to bring) was a lovely half hr walk away from campsite.

What else can I say. This is a very friendly and family orientated campsite, very clean, the campfires made it special, the price for the 5 of us plus dog and tent was reasonable and we cant wait to come back again in the summer and explore more (hopefully with out the wet weather).

Take plenty of old things so the kids can get wet and muddy.

Date of Visit: April 2009 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Nic3101 29 reviews from this member

We are pretty new to camping, so therefore it's hard to compare this site to other sites (we've only been to Shell Island before here), but we have just had the week of our lives.

Granted the weather was just fantastic, we went on the Thursday before Easter and stayed till the Tuesday. But what made it great for us was the kids - they just loved it, there wasn't a moment where they were clean! they were wet most of the time, and laughing all of the time.

The kids area is just brilliant, the train is great.

We didn't go to the George pub at the top (mainly because we had all our meals by the fire and we were well prepared), we did however call into the Bower House (about 4 miles away) and were treated to lunch there which was spectacular (although not cheap I believe??).

Everything about the area is just lovely, the site is great, just driving through the country lanes is a treat for us city folk, the owners / workers on the site could not be nicer or more accommodating.

Good family fun, whilst having a relaxing beer by the fire, bliss

Date of Visit: April 2009 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: 1sttimer76 1 review from this member

We decided to stay at Fisherground due to reading how it had rated as being so good for children's entertainment.(There was a 2 year old and a 6 year old in our party.)

Firstly , when we arrived there were no wardens in site so it was a guessing game where to pitch, luckily we had hook up so was easy enough to find, about 1/2 hour later a (not too friendly) lady approached us whilst we were busy putting the tent up, after a short while she decided to return to us later.

The children's play area: certainly not good for 2 year olds, and the ground is quite un-even/dangerous up there that you feel on edge with them playing up there.

Scenery: yes I agree is lovely.

Toilet block: very basic, 50p doesn't last long, not value for money as they would often go cold too.

Previous     211 Reviews in total, now showing 101 to 110      Next

Is Fisherground Campsite child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Fisherground Campsite?  There is a shop within 1 mile  View all facilities

Is Fisherground Campsite dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Eskdale      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cumbria

UKCS Meet Paws in the Park Kent 19/09 to 20/09