Reviews of Fisherground Campsite

Campsite Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Eskdale > Fisherground Campsite Reviews

Fisherground Campsite
CA19 1TF
Tel: 01946723723  or  01946723723

Open: 01/03/2021 to 31/10/2021

Tent Pitches   No Caravans   Motorhome Pitches   Small Campervans
 No Glamping Units   No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point   No Wifi Access
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <1 mile
 Fishing <1 mile   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   Cycle Hire <1 mile   Golf <1 mile   No Tennis
 Beach <5 miles   Watersports <5 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <5 miles  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  213 in total, now showing 41 to 50                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Fay Fife 14 reviews from this member

I had had my eye on Fisherground as a camping destination for a couple of years or so. I liked the idea that it is located in the less tourist saturated side of the Lakes, and having three children, I thought the rafting pond and little adventure playground looked fantastic.

Fisherground's location is absolutely wonderful. The scenery is beautiful, and the drive down to the site through the little windy roads was most enjoyable, with dinky little villages and hamlets dotting the landscape here and there, and really making you feel as though you are on your holidays.

We finally arrived on the Friday at about 2. 30 in the afternoon on what must have been the hottest day so far, during this miserable rainfest of a summer. The ladies at reception were smiley and helpful, but that did not take away the sting of our pitch costing us 28. 50 per night! This was for one tent, two adults, three kids, and a 5 per night school holiday surcharge that had no explanation other than 'just because'. It is worth noting that we have never paid so much for a pitch anywhere!

We were directed to our pitch which to be honest, we weren't all that delighted with, as it was right next to the entrance to main camping field and enjoyed the ambience of all the cars rumbling in and out all day long, and the pedestrian thoroughfare too, with every other person tripping over our guy ropes. It seemed to us that the camping field was very overcrowded already, and we bid a silent farewell to our hopes of relaxation and privacy as we pitched our tent. The last time we camped amongst a crowd this big was at a music festival!

Anyway, we watched amazed as more and more people poured into the site and were admitted entrance. Even though the place was jam packed already. I suppose with the terrible summer we have had, they had to try and recoup some money somehow, but really. There were far too many people pitching up, and the noise was incredible. Had it not been for the fact that we had arranged to meet friends there later in the day and had reserved a pitch for them, I think we would have asked for our money back and gone elsewhere.

So. Tent up, and time to explore. The kids raced off to the rafting pond and playground and instantly made friends. Which was great. We hardly saw them all weekend as they were well catered for.

I took a walk up to the one toilet, shower and dishwashing block and saw queues. Queues for the toilets, queues for the dishwashing sinks. People were queuing to join the queue! The facilities were woefully inadequate for the sheer volume of campers there, and as a result they were filthy and swarming with people.

We spent three nights at Fisherground and every time I went up to grab a quick shower, there was a long queue. Morning, noon and night. I gave up in the end and went home smelly and dirty. I really had to wonder what we were paying 28. 50 a night for. At least I saved 50p by not being able to have a shower while I was there. I can't believe the audacity of charging extra for a shower, given the high pitch price and the dreadful overcrowding.

As an asides, I must mention the push button taps that are throughout the service block, including the dishwashing sinks. They are absolutely useless. The water goes off as soon as you let go, so you can't even wash your hands. Remember folks, 28. 50 per night for this.

Now we can talk about the strict staff, as have been mentioned by other reviewers. Pretty much all the staff were pleasant and helpful in their manner it must be said. But yes, while the site is great for your kids, you may feel as if you have been sent back to school yourself.

Hard as it is to believe, yet more people were granted entry on the Saturday, and come the evening, the noise round about us was deafening. I disappeared into our tent at about 7. 30 for a half hour lie down to escape the cocophony, and made the mistake of turning on some music. Of course I kept it to a respectful level so as not to annoy anyone else, but within 5 minutes a member of staff walking past told me to turn it off. Later that night we got another telling off for letting our little fire get too high.

Anyone would think we were all there to enjoy ourselves the way some folks were carrying on. The staff were kept rather busy going round everyone and telling them to stop whatever fun it was that they were attempting to have. It was all a bit restrictive and heavy handed if you ask me.

We saw no misadventure the entire time we were there. The problems created by the patrons of Fisherground were only through the sheer number of them, as they kept letting people in, even though there was patently no room left and the site was really starting to struggle to accommodate them.

We christened our (very nice) neighbour Sir Snortsalot, as we listened to him snoring his head off throughout the night from less than three metres away.

During our time there my husband, his friend, and our eldest son scaled Sca Fell on the Saturday in glorious sunshine, while the rest of us stayed on site and watched the younger kids have a wonderful time. I cannot fault the suitability of Fisherground for children. On a sunny weekend the place is kiddy paradise. They loved the pond and the stream and the zip wire, so all was definitely not lost. It kept them all occupied during the entire visit. Fabulous!

Shopping can be done in Gosforth Village Store which is well stocked, although a little on the pricey side. We didn't eat out while we were there, so I can't comment on any of the pubs in the vicinity.

We didn't visit Boot either, but according to other reviews it's worth a look.

We did take the little train from the campsite along to Ravenglass on the Sunday, which was very enjoyable and made our four year old son's entire weekend. Recommended.

On the Sunday the campsite cleared out a bit, and we had a much less frenetic and noisy time of it after that, even if we were afraid to chat and laugh round the campfire that night for fear of being told off again.

All in all Fisherground is a mixed bag. There's no denying that your kids will love it there, the location is superb, and the site is very attractive. On the other hand, it's overpriced with no justification for the extra costs, the staff are militant, and on two of the three nights we spent there, it was way way too crowded, rendering the facilities a big unappealing, inadequate mess.

Don't think we'll go back. It's a shame as we were all really excited about going in the first place. But we ended up feeling like cattle being prodded into a pen.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Jayned 4 reviews from this member

Just got home from yet another great time at fisherground. Nothing I can add to last years review apart from we have never been bothered by midgies, going to book EHU for next year.

We ate at King George and had a lovely Latte at WoolPack after a walk up Hardknott ( much better than driving )

The showers do cost 50p but are hot and last long enough. The facilities are always clean and we never had to wait.

Kids didn't want to come home !

Reviewer: Silvercamp pod 11 reviews from this member

We stayed here for 4 nights during half term. The site is in a superb location but you need to get supplies before you arrive. We did use the local shop, it is pricier than a supermarket but that's often the case.

Checking in was easy and we had a good pitch by the perimeter, meant we felt spacious. After the first night though they really were packing tents in. I felt it was too many, especially in relation to the amount of facilities they have.

There were 4 showers operated by coins and 5 toilets for ladies. This was not enough by miles. The queues for the toilets were often 5-10 people deep, let alone the showers. This is not great when you have kids that need to go. There were 4 washing up sinks under cover, again often queued up. They need at least double the number of facilities even if they only open them for holidays.

Fires are allowed in the wheel rims and firewood etc is available. We visited Hardknott fort, Whitehaven and St Bees, Grizedale forest, and Grasmere from this site but with most places there's quite a detour to get there.

The playground and lake were fun, if cold but definitely more suitable for 5 years and upwards.

Reviewer: Happytocamp 1 review from this member

We pre booked two large tents with hook up and therefore were not squashed into a tight pitch near the toilet block or in a field away from facilities.

This site is great for children but the toilet block is not adequate or clean enough for the prices charged. The pond is not stagnant as it is a dammed stream that does flow over the shallow dam. However the midges are fierce, we were bitten taking our tent down at 11am and we were pitched away from the water. Shops and a bank are in Gosforth.

The site needs a visiting grocery van because the local store is not well stocked and is overpriced. The local pubs are good. Walk children through the woods to Boot, directly across a field, Opposite the campsite entrance, in order to avoid the narrow roads( no pavements).

There is a nice walk to a great waterfall with a bridge over a deep plunge pool, one of our group managed to brave it and jump in, just turn right up a lane near a small war memorial on the way in to Boot. Muncaster and it's owl sanctuary can be reached by the miniature railway which the kids love.

There is a working waterwheel in Boot for the children to visit and entrance is cheap. We would visit again but the toilet block was in need of a more thorough clean ie not just a quick wipe. The floors still had hairy sludge on them around the door posts. The four showers were too busy at peak times.

Do not use Hardknot pass! Other roads are narrow but okay in our passat.

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Mdavidson81 2 reviews from this member

Just got back from a stay at this campsite and it was a bit of a mixed bag really. The site itself is really nice, the ground is nice and flat and great for pitching tents. It wasn't very busy and was always quiet and peaceful, although I would like to apologise to anyone who stayed at the same time as us and was woken up by our 2 year old screaming at 3am! Staff were very helpful and would go out of their way to help, so no faults there, and the surrounding were picturesque.

We were still setting up when the lady came round and offered us the firewood for the campfire so I had to decline. What a mistake that was as it soon became very clear why everyone else had fires lit. By 8pm we had to seek refuge inside the tent because of the midges. Swarms of them, probably caused by the stagnant brown rafting lake! Even first thing in the morning we were getting bitten and our kids looked like there had been a mass outbreak of chicken pox - no exaggeration.

Next night we lit the fire, got insect repellant and it worked a treat and there were no bugs but a new couple that arrived late on had to seek refuge in their car for the evening because of them. It might just be because of the time of year, and maybe not a fault of the site but it really did put a dampener of things. Also the pricing was a bit cheeky. 5 for anything bigger than a 6 man tent during school holidays. That's ok, half term is next week. My kids are in nursery so I know when half term is and I even checked the school term website and confirmed it definitely next week. When the lady charged me the 5 I obviously challenged this and was told it was half term, which it wasn't, then to be told 'Well it's half term for the private schools as they get 2 weeks off. ' Seriously?! Eventually after a bit more discussion didn't have to pay the 5 but if they are going to charge this, then at least actually find out when school holidays are.

The location of the site was a bit of a pain. If you want to nip out for a takeaway (ok, I know that's not in the spirit of camping) or get stuff for a BBQ be prepared for an hour round trip to somewhere. We did some exploring of this western side of the lakes and didn't really enjoy it as much as when we've stayed at another campsite which is easier to access places from.

The roads leading to this site are pretty extreme, but I loved it. Wife hated it, but it was a challenge to drive them which I loved. The Hardknott Pass is superb, apart from some drivers who don't give way to cars coming uphill. I'll go back next week and collect my clutch! All in all we did enjoy our stay at this site. If the first night was like the 2nd then it would have been perfect as sitting round the campfire with the kids was really enjoyable, but the midges spoilt it and the location didn't suit us. It's just too far away from anywhere that suited our tastes.

Pros - Staff were lovely despite pricing hickup. Campfires are a plus. Toilets and showers some of the cleanest campsite ones I've ever seen. Hardknott pass for scaring the wife.

Cons - Midges midges and midges. Location of the site, which will suit a lot of people, but for us it was too far from amenities especially as we had the kids with us. It might not look much on the map but it takes an hour to get to Ambleside and I used more fuel going over the pass than I did on the entire 90 mile trip up the M6. With all the kit we take with us whe we have the kids, I like to have the car next to the tent. It wasn't far away, only 20m or so, but it was a pain when it came to pack up in the pouring rain.

Reviewer: Dickson Family 4 reviews from this member

Stayed at Fisherground for 3 nights over the Jubilee weekend. Very mixed opinion of this campsite and to be honest was a bit disappointed with it in general. I'll start with the positives:

1. Great kids playpark which they all loved.

2. Well drained flat pitches.

3. Decent, friendly fellow campers who in general kept to the 10:30pm quiet time.

4. Efficient, friendly wardens who made sure the bins were kept empty and that the toilet block didn't get too grotty (some people we spoke to found the wardens too strict but I think they probably have to be to cope with the sheer volume of people crammed onto the site).

5. The wheel rim firepits are a fantastic idea (other campsites take note!) and we really enjoyed our campfire each evening.

However sadly the negatives outweighed the positives:

1. Couldn't book and were advised it would be very busy as it was BH weekend, so had to leave at 7am Sat to make sure that we arrived in time to get a pitch. We arrived at 10:30am and were one of the last groups to get a pitch.

2. The toilet/shower and dish washing facilities are woefully inadequate for when the campsite is full. At all times of day and evening you had to queue for toilets, showers and washing up. I finally got a shower at after midnight on the Sat evening! We gave up waiting in the queue to wash our dishes and just boiled water by our tent and washed our dishes there. They shouldn't cram the tents in when they simply don't have nearly enough facilities to cope with it - over 200 tents (mainly large tents with family groups)and 5 ladies toilets/showers and 6 dish washing sinks in total.

3. Although kept reasonably clean (given the volume of people using them) and toilet/shower block is very dated and basic and when paying 75 for 3 nights camping for 2 adults and 2 children I do grudge having to pay 50p for a 5 minute shower which you have to queue for.

4. The pitches were very crammed together - there was less than 1 metre between our tent and the tent of another party who pitched after us.

Overall I would say a site to be avoided at very busy times such as Bank Holidays. The kids did have great fun but we won't be visiting Fisherground again.

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Trailer Tent
Reviewer: Pennyred23 5 reviews from this member

Like many of the other reviews of this campsite I have mixed feelings about our visit. On arrival we were escorted to our pitch and pretty much told exactly how and where to pitch our tent. We were given 2 options - the ground was reasonably flat but we were advised that if it rained shedloads then we could be flooded because of a slight dip in the ground - welcome info, however we decided to take a risk on option number 1 and fortunately came away unscathed in that department. There was a grumble about not having been told we were a trailer tent and we would've been pitched elsewhere if they'd known - what difference does that make? There are signs all around saying No Cars on Grass and whilst I appreciate the ground needs to be cared for it is very inconvenient when you have to leave your car right across the far side of the campsite. This is also doesn't make the job of unpacking/packing your tent etc any easier.

Loved the wheels for fires idea. Logs, kindling and firelighters delivered in the evening to the campsite.

I found the claim of the toilets and showers being clean and always having hot water an exaggeration. The facilities were woefully inadequate for the amount of campers and rather than being cleaned I felt that they were wiped over - at no point do I recollect the comforting smell of cleaning products. When lifting the toilet seat in the ladies to allow my little boy to go, I found them to be disgusting no matter what time of day I visited with him. Hot water was not constant and showering with my children was a fraught affair. The layout of the ablutions was disastrous with the single handryer right outside a toilet and inconveniently squashed into the corner.

Mr & Mrs Fisherground campsite seemed to act like campsite police and whilst we didn't cross them I did feel their constant presence which irked somewhat.

The little pond for children would probably be good if the water flowed better through it - a good idea but I've seen better. The playground looked great for the right age group, probably 7 yrs + definitely not for little ones.

The location of the campsite is remote to say the least. It's a decent walk to the local shop along narrow roads so not suitable with little people, especially if you have a few supplies to collect. Any serious shopping requirements need plenty of time as it is a long drive to anywhere. Having left our pots and pans at home we spent the best part of half a day finding somewhere to buy replacements.

In the local pub we were treated rudely and felt like we were causing an inconvenience by asking for food. The comment we heard after ordering and leaving the bar to find our seats was, and I quote, 'Children, don't you just love them'. If our children had been badly behaved I may have understood but on this occasion, they weren't. We didn't bother going back there during our stay.

The little railway is delightful and a good walk with little people is to take the footpath from just opposite the entrance to the campsite and along the far side of the river towards Boot - go beyond the stepping stones and there is a littel bridge across the river and a lane up to Boot where you will find a few pubs, the water mill and the train station for a ride back to the campsite.

To finish I would say that we had a good holiday inspite of the weather but we won't be returning for the following reasons:

Not enough in the vicinity with little ones

Toilet; shower; dish washing facilities dirty and inadequate,

And overall the campsite does not appeal to my vision of camping which is, in a word, freedom - I am a fully grown responsible adult and wish to be treated as such.

Date of Visit: April 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: 21hall 1 review from this member

Recently stayed at this campsite with two other families. Group make up consisted of adults, teenagers and underteens. We found all camp workers to be friendly and really helpful.

Would recommend this camp to anyone, the ground is good for tents and you are able to locate in private areas. The shower and washing up facilities are clean with constant hot water, other facilities consisted of; ice/freezer service, washers and tumble dryers.

The playground facilities were good for children and were in in good view, yet allowing them freedom.

The camp allows fires which was a real plus for us as the weather wasn't that kind to us and its an added feature for the kids.

There is also a good pub about 500yrds away which is welcoming, looked to have good food and had a pool table etc for the kids.

Great camp, one to be tried.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Bry99 4 reviews from this member

This was an old favourite site that we have been going to for years as it is only 1. 5hours drive from us.

There is hot water dish washing facilities which there are small queues for in summer.

There are adequate showers and toilets, not the most luxurious but usually reasonably clean and no cobwebs etc.

This site is for people who like back to basic camping with amazing location.

Make sure you take plenty of clothes for the kids as the pond with the rope swing over is very popular (only knee depth).

The location is amazing, you are surrounded by the fells with just the odd passing of 'ratty' the mini train that passing nearby, with the sight of campfire smoke drifting up towards the sky.

The campfires are in designated wheels and you can purchase wood on site.

Beware the warden does enforce rules on noise! We are a family with children so this didn't bother us.

Sadly we have not returned since 2011 as the last 3 times we pitched it was totally over crowded, the field was like a bog and the charges per night have become so expensive for what isn't luxurious facilities, you pay for the location.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: BALogan 2 reviews from this member

Excellent campsite: fantastic kids playarea with water rafts, tarzan rope and climbing frames, clean shower facilities with free footwear drying cupboard and free freezer facilities for freezer blocks.

Owners and staff are extremely helpful and supportive - showing respect and consideration for all campers.

Quiet nights allow adults to enjoy drinks by the campfire whilst children sleep - what more can you expect after a busy day.

Definitely recommend to anyone looking for an enjoyable family break.

Previous     213 Reviews in total, now showing 41 to 50      Next

Write a Review of this Site to Win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Is Fisherground Campsite child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Fisherground Campsite?  There is a shop within 1 mile  View all facilities

Is Fisherground Campsite dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Eskdale      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cumbria

UKCS Meet Caravan and Motorhome Show Stratford 23/07 to 25/07
New and used motorhomes & campervans with camping on site ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021