Reviews of Fisherground Campsite

Campsite Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Eskdale > Fisherground Campsite Reviews

Fisherground Campsite
Fisherground Farm
Eskdale
(lake District)
Eskdale
Cumbria   (Browse area)
CA19 1TF
Tel: 01946723723  or  01946723723

This site has an availability calendar. You can check for availability here

Open: 01/03/2021 to 31/10/2021
           01/03/2022 to 31/10/2022

Tent Pitches   No Caravans   Motorhome Pitches   Small Campervans
 No Glamping Units   No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches
 No Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point   No Wifi Access
 Shop <5 miles   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <1 mile
 Fishing <5 miles   Wild Swimming <1 mile   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   Cycle Hire <5 miles   Golf <5 miles   No Tennis
 Beach <5 miles   Watersports <5 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  217 in total, now showing 71 to 80                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22

Reviewer: Paulrach 2 reviews from this member

We stayed for two weeks in August 2010 and overall enjoyed the site.

There are many good points to the site. The facilities are first rate and clean; the open fires are an excellent novelty; the play area is excellent and of course the location, is well, breath taking. This is also one of the only sites that I found in the Lakes that allowed advanced booking.

Prices are reasonable. There is a surcharge for large tents. I think, it was for tents with 6 berths or more.

However, recently added car parking is tight, especially if your fellow campers are inconsiderate parkers. The closing of the barrier at 9:00pm does restrict your activities somewhat. However, I can understand why. The curfew wasn't rigidly applied.And some nights I wished it was!

Like many visitors, I found the stressing of rules, overpowering at first. Especially, as they weren't evenly applied. However, an additional rule of 'no ball games' near tents would have been useful, as my tent was hit many times by inconsiderate neighbours.

Although this seems negative it isn't.

This is an excellent camp site and one I would visit again.

Reviewer: The Halls31 1 review from this member

The sign into Fisherground was not clear. Wasn't sure if to turn left or go straight on.

No one was in the reception.

The site was well set out and facilities were clean.

We were unable to take our car onto the grass and it took me twice as long to set up.

Most of the staff were friendly.

I don't agree that we had to pay for a shower this ended up costing me an extra £2.50 a day.

The 10.30pm quiet time was a bit strict.

Could do with asking the village shop to open a site shop.

Train trip was nice and walk to to top of the hill is recommended.

Reviewer: Derycksimpson 1 review from this member

Fantastic site for kids. The playground was great for our 10 & 12 year olds, we hardly saw them all week. Open fires every night in the firepits was great. The toilet and shower block were clean although a bit dated. There is free freezer for ice packs which is a nice touch. Nice pub within walking distance that does great meals.Stunning surroundings and a great site with friendly helpful owners. The only downside is the extra charge of £5 a night for tents over 6 man this is a charge they should do away with as some 5 man tents are just as big. That said we will be returning next year.

Reviewer: Dpk70ken 1 review from this member

Excellent site in a beautiful location. Very friendly and helpful staff, water points located conveniently throughout the site, toilet & shower blocks clean and kept clean at least 2-3 times a day. It is a large site and so when it was busy at the weekend it did feel like it was heaving at full capacity. There are old tractor rims spread across the campsite where you can make your campfires and logs are available for sale every evening from a vehicle going round the campsite. They also let an ice cream van come round most evenings that did a roaring trade. We used the site as a base to climb Scafell Pike and waling in the Eskdale area.Lastly the children's playground was a great attraction for our kids. The kids will get wet and muddy there, so be prepared.

Reviewer: LouiLoui 1 review from this member

We and our friends have just stayed at FG campsite. The site is situated in a beautiful valley with wonderful views of mountains and ridges near and far. There is a small ridge on the site which takes about 30 mins and is a steep but short climb, the view from the top is great. The site is quite remote so take your walking boots. The site was very busy when we visited, and very noisy from sun rise! There is a rule about no noise after 10.30pm (not too strictly enforced), a rule about no noise before 7am would have been welcomed.

The site facilities were clean and fine to use, however we had to queue for toilets / sinks / showers and it felt like there too few loos for the number of people they had let on the site. £1 for six mins in a hot clean shower, it was worth the wait. The site is costly and there are a lot of rules. The owners will charge you for everything, cars, dogs, 6 man tents and visitors all demand that you open your pocket and part with more of your hard earned cash, on top of your site fee.

The children’s play area was wonderful for older children, not a great deal for my 3 year old to do, but older kids will have a ball. The pool is a wonderful rustic play area which really brought the older children together who probably wouldn't have spoken to each other otherwise. My 3 year old enjoyed playing in the stream instead. The small train was cute and efficient and the local pubs were great. Despite my moans I would go back, because it is a beautiful and well situated site, but maybe not in this time of austerity!

Reviewer: KGW4 2 reviews from this member

This camp site was everything you could hope for. As my 9 year old put it 'breath taking scenery!' fantastic adventure playground for the kids complete with rafting pond. The boys even used this area in the rain as it is amongst trees and quite protected. The showers are 50p and it was only for about 3 mins - I needed 2 x 50p for a reasonable shower where I could shampoo, condition and defuzz.

King Gerorge IV is about a 5 min walk away - we had a meal there and was pleasantly surprised - not a large choice but what was there was served quickly in quantity and tasted good. I ate too much!

Shop is a 25 min walk over the fell - ask Mick for directions. It sells most things but is a bit expensive.

Railway is worth a trip, although there is not much to do at either end.

I would definitely go back and will tell others about it.

Reviewer: Lucylou1515 2 reviews from this member

Myself, my partner and two sons visited Fisherground Camp site at the beginning of August for 6 nights. We arrived on a Monday afternoon and was greeted by Alison, whom explained that we could pitch anywhere other than in areas where the grass was still yellow. We found a nice pitch and set up our tent etc up. The Warden came around later to see if everything was ok and then Alison came along later to collect monies from us, which was £118 for 6 night for 4 people. Alison explained that fires where only allowed in the fire pits provided, but there where plenty of these around the site, so it was not difficult to pitch near to one.

The shower/toilets and washing area was kept clean and tidy by the wardens which was extremely difficult due to the amount of rain we had each night.

My sons loved the camp site, the pond, adventure playground and playing field being excellent for them to play in and make friends. There was never a day when they did not have some friends to play with.

The campsite is noisy on a evening with all the children playing and enjoying themselves but at 10:30, everyone kept to the rules and it went quiet.

The local shop is well stocked and the owner is very friendly.

Will be visiting again next year.

Reviewer: Jlp76 5 reviews from this member

Just back from 4 nights at Fisherground. I was very worried after reading some very negative reviews saying how strict the site was but it was absolutely fine.

Set in a beautiful valley with a pond and adventure play area for the children - as well as that there is a stream and lots of climbing fun for them.

We loved having a camp fire and the logs were either sold by a man driving round the site or at the entrance. £3.50 for a bag of wood and 50p for kindling.

This site had more a higher presence of wardens than other sites we've been to before but they were friendly and approachable. We were shown to our pitch and given an extension lead for the hook up. The rules are clear - such as no driving on the grass, quieting down at 10.30pm and worked fine for us. We sat till 11.30ish each night chatting round the campfire and admiring the stars and there were no problems at all.

Toilets were frequently cleaned, showers were hot and cost 50p. Ladies had 5 or 6 toilets and 3 or 4 showers and a free hair dryer. There were sometimes queues for toilets or showers but this was a busy August school holiday time and wasn't actually as bad as expected. There were sinks for washing uo (sometimes queues), a boot dryer, a freezer (our iceblocks were pinched / took in error and not returned), washer and 3 tumble dryers.

We drove to Keswick through the Hardknott Pass but decided to take the longer route back to camp which took about the same time. We also visited the South Lakes Animal Park and had a good day there and had a day on the train although were a bit underwhelmed at Ravenglass (lovely place but not much to do for 4 children).

The location is a bit isolated but the site is perfect.

Date of Visit: July 2010 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Ferguson 1 review from this member

Just arrived back after staying 4 days at Fisherground and got to say the place was brilliant.My kids absolutely loved the play area especially the pond!(take plenty changes of clothes with you). The toilet/shower block was excellent and clean and very rarely had to queue. The showers are 50p for approx 5mins but were hot and good. The wardens on the campsite were very friendly and helpful also. Having a campfire was also a bonus and logs/kindling could be bought for £3.50. The surrounding area is great for walks etc. The steam railway also has a stop at the campsite and is worth a go. The pub nearby has recently opened and the food was excellent. Couldn't really find a negative thing to say about the campsite but to be picky I would really like it if they had a small shop on site, even selling just the basics.

Date of Visit: July 2010 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Israr.Shah 1 review from this member

We (me my wife and 3 children) decided to try camping for the first time after our eldest returned waxing lyrical from a school camping trip. After trawling the internet looking for campsites in the Lake District (we wanted great scenery). Came across Fisherground Farm campsite and the photos swung me as did the fact that you could have real campfires.

Arrived late Friday to be met by very polite and cheery Alison Parkin (who owns the campsite with her husband Mick – who we never met). She welcomed us and asked to settle up. In the back of my mind I had some reviews that stated that Alison was friendly till you paid up. I promptly paid £58 for a two night stay for the 5 of us with electric hook up and car parking. Alison then in the same polite and friendly manner asked me to follow one of the wardens to the area where we could pitch.

Arrived at the pitch and Martin (one of the wardens) told us to pitch anywhere but avoid a small area that had been pitched on before and the grass was yellow. I stated that we were first time campers and could he help us with choosing the pitch. This he did and even got us an extension lead for the power. We were then left alone (I was waiting to be told the long list of rules some reviewers have mentioned). Once we got the tent up Martin came round to see if we were ok and needed any help. He just mentioned in an offhand way that the campsite has the rule of minimum noise after 10:30pm. That was the long list of rules! I asked for some wood for the fire and Martin got me a bag of wood (£3.50) and kindling with firelighter (50p).

Martin then stated that he occupied a large motor home with his wife and if we need anything anytime just come and knock. That was it. We certainly did not get bothered again. It was an excellent introduction to our first night of camping sitting around our campfire. The site has wheel rims on each pitch in which one can light a camp fire.

At 10:30pm we were expecting to be told to go to bed (as some reviewers have written) but no one bothered us because we were quiet – talking in normal voices. The next morning we opened the tent to see beautiful views and could hear the whistle of the steam train passing the outskirts of the campsite. We made breakfast of fried eggs and toast. It was the most delicious we have ever had due to the scenery. We then found our vehicle had a flat battery. Being an automatic cannot be “jump started” and being a Range Rover Sport needs a large vehicle to start with jump leads. Quick as a shot Alison was off and requested a camper with a BMW X5 to help us. Soon we were started. Spent the day boating in Windermere. We returned late afternoon and the kids started to play cricket, another couple of kids joined in and before long the adults joined in too with the resultant shouting / goading of the opposition. Naz (another warden and Martin’s wife) was walking past and joined in with friendly jokes etc.

We were sad to pack up the next day and head home. I feel we have been spoilt by our stay at FGFCS. The staff are ALL wonderful. The toilets etc are extremely clean (some hotels could learn about cleanliness here). Showers are a plenty and warm. 50p is more than enough for a good long shower. There are washing machines, driers, boot driers, freezer, iron and hair driers. If you are a party animal don’t go to this campsite. If you want peaceful tranquil surroundings with great staff and facilities, then you too will fall in love with this place. We only spent 2 nights but felt more relaxed than we do after 2 weeks abroad. Being a very busy senior executive who works long hours it was a pleasure to rediscover my family by sitting talking around the campfire.

Anyone reading this review thinks I only look on the bright side – pls read my scathing review of Grand Midwest Hotel App in Dubai. I have travelled to many countries and know good service from bad.

Previous     217 Reviews in total, now showing 71 to 80      Next

Is Fisherground Campsite child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Fisherground Campsite?  There is a shop within 5 miles  View all facilities

Is Fisherground Campsite dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Eskdale      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cumbria

UKCS Meet Paws in the Park, West Sussex 09/10 to 10/10
UK's largest outside dog show for working, trained and pet dogs held at the Ardingly Showground. Weekend camping available on site ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021