Reviews of Fisherground Campsite

Campsite Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Eskdale > Fisherground Campsite Reviews

Fisherground Campsite
CA19 1TF
Tel: 01946723723  or  01946723723

Open: 01/03/2021 to 31/10/2021

Tent Pitches   No Caravans   Motorhome Pitches   Small Campervans
 No Glamping Units   No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point   No Wifi Access
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <1 mile
 Fishing <1 mile   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   Cycle Hire <1 mile   Golf <1 mile   No Tennis
 Beach <5 miles   Watersports <5 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <5 miles  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  213 in total, now showing 81 to 90                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22

Date of Visit: June 2010 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Jimp 2 reviews from this member

Just got back from Fisherground, and had a lovely few days, despite everyone being extremely disturbed by the local events of Wednesday - our arrival day.

*Getting there is exciting - over hard knott or over a steep fell road. As our car is large and couldn't pull the skin off a custard, we went round the coast after our first leary ride over the fell. It's a bit further but doesn't take much longer. Going round to the Western lakes does take longer than our usual trips to Windermere and Ambleside, but the site is great so it's worth it, I think.

*Noticed some grumbles on this site about the wardens, but we found all the staff to be helpful and pleasant. They did tell us the rules, but very quickly, when they first came round and there was an unobtrusive presence of staff for our whole stay.

*You can find your own pitch if it's not too busy, or the warden will help you. Tents were pretty tightly packed as it was school holidays but we managed to find space for the boys to play games and there is a games field but that was at the opposite end of the site.

* Facilities were good but they struggled to cope with the weight of traffic generated at this half term week. I expect next week they will have no problem but there were often queues for the (women's)showers and (women's)toilets when we camped here. Having said that, they were always clean and always had loo roll. Showers were hot and 50p enough to get a decent shower - were are camping after all, it's not a fashion show. Also - a bit of a hoof from where we were pitched - as far from the shower block as it was possible to be.

*Glad there were drinking water stand pipes all around the sight as this meant a very short walk for water.

*Kids loved the brook, the pond (very safe - only knee high) and the adventure play area.

*Fantastic to have a campfire and a convenient ice-cream van selling marshmallows. Kids aver excited but happy! Fairly ferrel by the end of our few days.

*The 10.30 quiet rule was generally observed and some campers did get a gentle reminder the next day. The noisy items in the playground are locked at night, but we were in bed earlier than that and the site was really quite noisy up until half ten.

*Whitehaven is a lovely place to visit and everyone there was getting on with things as normal - it seems like a very welcoming town, worth a visit - we would recommend 'the Beacon' -£10 for a family and well worth it. We went to Grizedale too, but that was a long drive for us - if you have a car that's up to it, it might be quicker to go over hardknott - but we will never know!

*We thought the site was quite pricey but not much more than other similar sites. We were charged the large tent extra but there were many larger tents than ours, so we might add on an extention next time we go! I think the supplement is only for school holiday times. I don't know if they take any other form of payment but we took cash which turned out to be a wise move.

*Overall we had a great time but we didn't do much in the way of cleanliness, and got good and dirty in the stream, pond and play area. I would give it a 10/10 if there had been more loos and showers and/or if our pitch had been closer to the loo block - which it will be next time as we scouted out plenty of good pitches for our next visit, which will be fairly soon.

Date of Visit: May 2010 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Cyee 3 reviews from this member

Stayed at Fisherground In May 2010, at the same time as the terrible shootings, so will always remember it!

It's a great campsite, and seems to be well run. Staff were helpful when we had a few issues filling the campervan water tank. The children's play area is fantastic. The zip wire was a big hit with my adventurous nearly 3 year old. The weather was fantastic so we also appreciated the ice cream van.

My only negative comment is that the pitches were very close together. It was extremely busy and while the buzz is nice it's good to have more space.

Fire pits were a big hit and we also took advantage of good walks right from the camp site.

I'd definitely go back.

Reviewer: Icedbanana 2 reviews from this member

I am surprised by some of the other reviews.

On arrival, a lady read us the rules and I thought ‘Oh no!’ – it was like being before the Head in school. But when speaking to the same lady 5 minutes’ later for some advice, she was very pleasant and like a different person. I wondered if maybe it had been her way of asserting authority from the outset. From then on, I only ever saw the pleasant side of her.

Had I not realised this, maybe I would have had the same negative experience as others. I suggest you don’t take the initial meeting personally.

We had a great time.

Mobile phone reception: The only mobile reception was Orange & 3. Yes, 3. Surprised me too. This was a major problem for me as I was joining friends at the campsite & I sent them texts, completely unaware that they weren’t receiving them. And there is no reception on O2 for miles around which, in such a desolate area, is a major worry in case of an accident or breakdown.

I suggest buying an Orange or 3 Pay-As-You-Go SIM card – but check with the campsite first in case reception there has changed.

The showers take 50p coins & don’t last long. I suggest you always take a spare coin, just in case. Next time, I’ll also take a plastic step (to sit on while e. G. Drying feet) & a couple of over-the-door hooks.

Kids’ pond & rope swing looked great for kids.

By the way, petrol stations are sparse. There is a Texaco (?) garage about 2 miles after exiting the M6 at junction 36. You can then travel a ridiculously long way without seeing one – it’d be easy to run out of petrol.

I asked the staff about swimming & they were, again, helpful. Turn right out of the campsite (towards the King George pub), left at the T-junction, & a hundred yards down the road you cross a bridge with parking immediately afterwards on the right. It was hot when we went, so we swam here – blissfully cold (15 degrees?). Then a young couple came along & started jumping off the bridge so we joined them. Great fun. Obviously it is dangerous and you do so at your own risk. Only do it if there is a decent amount of water in the river, and when I was there there was one massive boulder just beneath the surface that you had to avoid.

I strongly recommend taking an old pair of trainers with you or water shoes if you plan on swimming in the river as walking on the stones in & out of the water is positively painful on bare feet. Perhaps it would be wise if kids using the campsite pond did the same (?).

There is another swimming area in a river which is far deeper – and the jump from the bridge far higher. Turn left out of the campsite (away from the King George pub), & turn right at the vicarage (I think it is the first right along that road – only approx. Half a mile from the campsite) – if you get to the pub, you have gone too far. After about a quarter of a mile you go over a bridge – that’s where you swim. There’s a large parking area just past it on the left. We didn’t like this as much as the other area because although the water is deeper, it is in thick woodland & therefore you don’t get any sun to offset the coolness of the water. But we went in May – so this location may be a better option in high summer.

I saw a red squirrel a quarter of a mile from the campsite.

If you turn left out of the campsite & keep going you come to the Hardknott pass.

Some people said the Hardknott pass was incredibly dangerous to the extent that I was not going to drive through it – scare stories of sheer drops either side & being unable to grip the road in places (latter was partially true). I found it a fun drive & picturesque as the above link shows – a must do (in good weather). You do scrub your tyres a few times when negotiating hairpin turns while climbing a very steep hill on ultra-worn tarmac with no grip, but that’s part of the experience. Don’t miss it. I ended my weekend on that – a great way to finish it.

Reviewer: Kareniawl 1 review from this member

This is a fantastic campsite. I had looked at the website before arriving and had an idea of what to expect - the adventure ground looked so good for children that we travelled an extra 30 miles or so to stay at this particular campsite and it did not disappoint.

The toilets/shower blocks were immaculate, there was plenty of outside sinks for dishes - and the water was always hot!

Campfire facilities with a delivery truck arriving on site each day around 5ish selling logs (£1 for kindling & firelighter, £3.50 for enough logs to last at least a couple of hours.

Noise stops at 10.30 so ideal for those with young children or early risers.

There is a free freezer for ice-packs and a boot drying box. Showers / Washing Machines / Tumbledryers were 50p each (I had started saving my 50p's the week before so had a handy supply). There was a hairdryer in the toilet block, but I didn't see any other plugs for your own hairdryer / straighteners etc, though I may have just missed these.

The adventure playground / pond for the children is great, though I would recommend that you pack an extra set of quick drying clothing specifically for them to wear while in it - together with a pair of trainers / pumps that will stay wet during your stay - children and water tend to attract each other.

The nearest petrol station was about 7-8 miles away travelling towards Whitehaven. Am not sure how good the local shop in Boot is as I brought all foodstuffs with me, but the two local pubs are friendly and warm.

I took an adult and a child camping for the first time in their lives and they both had a wonderful time and were already talking about the next trip before we had unpacked the car. I am just sorry that the campsite is not nearer (280 round trip) or I would be visiting a lot more.

Reviewer: Axel5171 7 reviews from this member

I agree with all the comments made by previous visitors in that this is a beautiful site, well situated near to Scafell Pike. The train ride to Boot or Ravenglass is excellent, and rewarded by decent pubs at both ends. Whilst the nearest pub is currently closed, the walk to and from Boot is not too far.

Reviewer: Pedroza 3 reviews from this member

Have been to fisherground 3 or 4 times as its a lovely site & being able to have campfires was really exciting for the kids. Facilities nice, play pond / area great, ratty to boot (where there's an excellent pub for food & beer). That's the good bits.

Won't be going again though, each time I've been I've found the staff that work there rude & intrusive. Each time I've been back and given them the benefit of the doubt & every time they have spoilt my stay.

Reviewer: Skippy99 2 reviews from this member

Great location, reasonable facilities although limited numbers of loos and showers. Good playground for the kids.

Almost entirely spoiled by the warden who drives around on his quad bike all day looking into your tent area, sending us to bed at 10:30 even when we were quietly talking around the fire. Real shame that he spoilt what used to be a superb site. I will not recommend this to any more friends or family. There are better sites in the next valley.

Date of Visit: April 2010 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Stargate 2 reviews from this member

Visited this site, with my grandchild for the weekend, but she loved it so much we stayed longer.

The staff were great, the toilet and shower block were immaculate.

There is a small adventure playground, which could do with a bit of an upgrade, a pond for rafting, there is a small stream at the back of the camp. The camp is a circular shape. You can have a camp-fire, its pitch black at night, except for the camp fires and the lit shower block, no noise after 10.30pm, ideal if you have children.

There is a local shop about 5 minute drive away, there is a small steam train which stops at the site, we went to Boot and took the river walk back,

We also went into Whitehaven, which has a great harbour.

Will definitely be going again. The only problem is you cannot book a pitch, unless its electric hookup, which I think, if you have travelled a long way then cannot get on site, its been a wasted journey, if you were wanting that particular site, as we did

Date of Visit: March 2010 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Warbuj 19 reviews from this member

We visited this site around 12 years ago with three children in tow. This time just my wife and I went.

We just stopped the one night for a break; we had the site to ourselves all day Friday from when we arrived until around 21:00, when a motorhome turned up. When we woke on Saturday morning, there were another 2 tents; they must have been quiet as we never heard them pitch.

The site is just as we remembered, an unspoilt gem. A few improvements have been made in the time since we last visited, Fire extinguishers have been added at regular intervals, but this is just as well as this is one of the few sites that you can have a fire at. The owners sell fire wood at £3.50 a sack and kindling with a firelighter for 50p. As we were the only ones on, we collected enough wood from under the trees for free. Car wheel rims have been placed at each pitch, to keep the ground from spoiling, so they act like a brassier.

The second major improvement is a hard road around the edge where you leave your car so as not to spoil the grass.

The site is £5.50 per adult and £2.50 for the car per night, this isn't the cheapest site, but the setting is perfect. I was a bit miffed as the motorhome would have only paid the same as us in a piddly little 2 man tent, but like I said, you can't really fault the site for what it is. There are hard standings for the motorhomes and electric hookups, but I didn't count how many or what the coast was for them as we didn't use one this time.

The toilets were clean and there is a free freezer to store your ice packs. There are at least 6 outdoor sinks for washing pots and pans etc. Also a washer and dryer. Inside there were clean toilets, showers at 50p a pop, free electric razor points over the sinks with a couple of soap dispensers(not sure how many sinks there are here), a hot air dryer for hands and even a hairdryer in the men’s, which I think was free. I assume the ladies are the same, but did ask the wife.

There is a children’s play field, and a play area which has been improved. This is more like a Krypton factor assault course for kids. There is a small pond pool, which in summer is dammed up so that the kids can raft on tyres. 12 years ago I remember my son falling in. The pool is empty in winter as trout swim up stream to breed, but it was so cold I don't think anybody would have used the pool anyway in March.

You can either get there over the Hardknott pass, or round the coast road. If you have panicky passengers like me, I recommend the coast road, especially if you are towing anything.

We walked from the site to a pub just up the road, turning right off the site, but this had closed, so we went back for the car and drove to the next one up the road. They did nice food and real ale, what more can one ask for. After this we took the car back to the site and walked to Boot, this is right out of the site, past the Eskdale railway station at Boot and turned left further up the road, there are 2 more pubs here, we stopped at one for a pot of tea. From here we had a plan to walk over the tops to Wasdale, but the earlier food and pint had knocked us both out, so we walked up the path for a few miles and then turned back. The scenery is stunning and I couldn't recommend this area any more.

Date of Visit: September 2009 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Numenius 4 reviews from this member

Toilets regularly serviced and clean. You can see them being cleaned throughout the day. Dishwashing facilities the same (open air, but under cover)and plenty of hot water for dishwashing.

It's own private halt on the narrow gauge railway line - even if you don't go on it (though you must!), it is soo picturesque to have a site where a small steam train passes right by.

Good sensible rules - the site seems to attract quite sensible campers and we have never been bothered by any noise after 10pm as per the site rules.

Camp fires! How many sites allow that anymore? It may be unique.

A real benefit would be a good shop, we found you have to travel quite a way for supplies.

Lots for kids to do - adventure playground with rafts! Brilliant, we had to pull our daughter away!

Ice cream van makes appearances - we'd just come back from a long hot climb when it turned up! Lovely! :)

This is our favourite site ever!

Previous     213 Reviews in total, now showing 81 to 90      Next

Is Fisherground Campsite child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Fisherground Campsite?  There is a shop within 1 mile  View all facilities

Is Fisherground Campsite dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Eskdale      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cumbria

UKCS Meet Caravan and Motorhome Show Stratford 23/07 to 25/07
New and used motorhomes & campervans with camping on site ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021