Reviews of Fisherground Campsite

Campsite Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Eskdale > Fisherground Campsite Reviews

Fisherground Campsite

No Horse Riding   Cycle Hire <1 mile   Golf <1 mile   No Tennis
 Beach <5 miles   Watersports <5 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Not Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <5 miles  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  211 in total, now showing 81 to 90                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22

Our site is open and we are taking bookings , please be assured you can book with confidence. Our toilets are Open. Our showers are Open. Other communal areas may be restricted - please check with us for more information

To enquire about a booking or for more information please contact us

Reviewer: Icedbanana 2 reviews from this member

I am surprised by some of the other reviews.

On arrival, a lady read us the rules and I thought ‘Oh no!’ – it was like being before the Head in school. But when speaking to the same lady 5 minutes’ later for some advice, she was very pleasant and like a different person. I wondered if maybe it had been her way of asserting authority from the outset. From then on, I only ever saw the pleasant side of her.

Had I not realised this, maybe I would have had the same negative experience as others. I suggest you don’t take the initial meeting personally.

We had a great time.

Mobile phone reception: The only mobile reception was Orange & 3. Yes, 3. Surprised me too. This was a major problem for me as I was joining friends at the campsite & I sent them texts, completely unaware that they weren’t receiving them. And there is no reception on O2 for miles around which, in such a desolate area, is a major worry in case of an accident or breakdown.

I suggest buying an Orange or 3 Pay-As-You-Go SIM card – but check with the campsite first in case reception there has changed.

The showers take 50p coins & don’t last long. I suggest you always take a spare coin, just in case. Next time, I’ll also take a plastic step (to sit on while e. G. Drying feet) & a couple of over-the-door hooks.

Kids’ pond & rope swing looked great for kids.

By the way, petrol stations are sparse. There is a Texaco (?) garage about 2 miles after exiting the M6 at junction 36. You can then travel a ridiculously long way without seeing one – it’d be easy to run out of petrol.

I asked the staff about swimming & they were, again, helpful. Turn right out of the campsite (towards the King George pub), left at the T-junction, & a hundred yards down the road you cross a bridge with parking immediately afterwards on the right. It was hot when we went, so we swam here – blissfully cold (15 degrees?). Then a young couple came along & started jumping off the bridge so we joined them. Great fun. Obviously it is dangerous and you do so at your own risk. Only do it if there is a decent amount of water in the river, and when I was there there was one massive boulder just beneath the surface that you had to avoid.

I strongly recommend taking an old pair of trainers with you or water shoes if you plan on swimming in the river as walking on the stones in & out of the water is positively painful on bare feet. Perhaps it would be wise if kids using the campsite pond did the same (?).

There is another swimming area in a river which is far deeper – and the jump from the bridge far higher. Turn left out of the campsite (away from the King George pub), & turn right at the vicarage (I think it is the first right along that road – only approx. Half a mile from the campsite) – if you get to the pub, you have gone too far. After about a quarter of a mile you go over a bridge – that’s where you swim. There’s a large parking area just past it on the left. We didn’t like this as much as the other area because although the water is deeper, it is in thick woodland & therefore you don’t get any sun to offset the coolness of the water. But we went in May – so this location may be a better option in high summer.

I saw a red squirrel a quarter of a mile from the campsite.

If you turn left out of the campsite & keep going you come to the Hardknott pass.

Some people said the Hardknott pass was incredibly dangerous to the extent that I was not going to drive through it – scare stories of sheer drops either side & being unable to grip the road in places (latter was partially true). I found it a fun drive & picturesque as the above link shows – a must do (in good weather). You do scrub your tyres a few times when negotiating hairpin turns while climbing a very steep hill on ultra-worn tarmac with no grip, but that’s part of the experience. Don’t miss it. I ended my weekend on that – a great way to finish it.

Reviewer: Kareniawl 1 review from this member

This is a fantastic campsite. I had looked at the website before arriving and had an idea of what to expect - the adventure ground looked so good for children that we travelled an extra 30 miles or so to stay at this particular campsite and it did not disappoint.

The toilets/shower blocks were immaculate, there was plenty of outside sinks for dishes - and the water was always hot!

Campfire facilities with a delivery truck arriving on site each day around 5ish selling logs (£1 for kindling & firelighter, £3.50 for enough logs to last at least a couple of hours.

Noise stops at 10.30 so ideal for those with young children or early risers.

There is a free freezer for ice-packs and a boot drying box. Showers / Washing Machines / Tumbledryers were 50p each (I had started saving my 50p's the week before so had a handy supply). There was a hairdryer in the toilet block, but I didn't see any other plugs for your own hairdryer / straighteners etc, though I may have just missed these.

The adventure playground / pond for the children is great, though I would recommend that you pack an extra set of quick drying clothing specifically for them to wear while in it - together with a pair of trainers / pumps that will stay wet during your stay - children and water tend to attract each other.

The nearest petrol station was about 7-8 miles away travelling towards Whitehaven. Am not sure how good the local shop in Boot is as I brought all foodstuffs with me, but the two local pubs are friendly and warm.

I took an adult and a child camping for the first time in their lives and they both had a wonderful time and were already talking about the next trip before we had unpacked the car. I am just sorry that the campsite is not nearer (280 round trip) or I would be visiting a lot more.

Reviewer: Axel5171 7 reviews from this member

I agree with all the comments made by previous visitors in that this is a beautiful site, well situated near to Scafell Pike. The train ride to Boot or Ravenglass is excellent, and rewarded by decent pubs at both ends. Whilst the nearest pub is currently closed, the walk to and from Boot is not too far.

Reviewer: Pedroza 3 reviews from this member

Have been to fisherground 3 or 4 times as its a lovely site & being able to have campfires was really exciting for the kids. Facilities nice, play pond / area great, ratty to boot (where there's an excellent pub for food & beer). That's the good bits.

Won't be going again though, each time I've been I've found the staff that work there rude & intrusive. Each time I've been back and given them the benefit of the doubt & every time they have spoilt my stay.

Reviewer: Skippy99 2 reviews from this member

Great location, reasonable facilities although limited numbers of loos and showers. Good playground for the kids.

Almost entirely spoiled by the warden who drives around on his quad bike all day looking into your tent area, sending us to bed at 10:30 even when we were quietly talking around the fire. Real shame that he spoilt what used to be a superb site. I will not recommend this to any more friends or family. There are better sites in the next valley.

Date of Visit: April 2010 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Stargate 2 reviews from this member

Visited this site, with my grandchild for the weekend, but she loved it so much we stayed longer.

The staff were great, the toilet and shower block were immaculate.

There is a small adventure playground, which could do with a bit of an upgrade, a pond for rafting, there is a small stream at the back of the camp. The camp is a circular shape. You can have a camp-fire, its pitch black at night, except for the camp fires and the lit shower block, no noise after 10.30pm, ideal if you have children.

There is a local shop about 5 minute drive away, there is a small steam train which stops at the site, we went to Boot and took the river walk back,

We also went into Whitehaven, which has a great harbour.

Will definitely be going again. The only problem is you cannot book a pitch, unless its electric hookup, which I think, if you have travelled a long way then cannot get on site, its been a wasted journey, if you were wanting that particular site, as we did

Date of Visit: March 2010 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Warbuj 18 reviews from this member

We visited this site around 12 years ago with three children in tow. This time just my wife and I went.

We just stopped the one night for a break; we had the site to ourselves all day Friday from when we arrived until around 21:00, when a motorhome turned up. When we woke on Saturday morning, there were another 2 tents; they must have been quiet as we never heard them pitch.

The site is just as we remembered, an unspoilt gem. A few improvements have been made in the time since we last visited, Fire extinguishers have been added at regular intervals, but this is just as well as this is one of the few sites that you can have a fire at. The owners sell fire wood at £3.50 a sack and kindling with a firelighter for 50p. As we were the only ones on, we collected enough wood from under the trees for free. Car wheel rims have been placed at each pitch, to keep the ground from spoiling, so they act like a brassier.

The second major improvement is a hard road around the edge where you leave your car so as not to spoil the grass.

The site is £5.50 per adult and £2.50 for the car per night, this isn't the cheapest site, but the setting is perfect. I was a bit miffed as the motorhome would have only paid the same as us in a piddly little 2 man tent, but like I said, you can't really fault the site for what it is. There are hard standings for the motorhomes and electric hookups, but I didn't count how many or what the coast was for them as we didn't use one this time.

The toilets were clean and there is a free freezer to store your ice packs. There are at least 6 outdoor sinks for washing pots and pans etc. Also a washer and dryer. Inside there were clean toilets, showers at 50p a pop, free electric razor points over the sinks with a couple of soap dispensers(not sure how many sinks there are here), a hot air dryer for hands and even a hairdryer in the men’s, which I think was free. I assume the ladies are the same, but did ask the wife.

There is a children’s play field, and a play area which has been improved. This is more like a Krypton factor assault course for kids. There is a small pond pool, which in summer is dammed up so that the kids can raft on tyres. 12 years ago I remember my son falling in. The pool is empty in winter as trout swim up stream to breed, but it was so cold I don't think anybody would have used the pool anyway in March.

You can either get there over the Hardknott pass, or round the coast road. If you have panicky passengers like me, I recommend the coast road, especially if you are towing anything.

We walked from the site to a pub just up the road, turning right off the site, but this had closed, so we went back for the car and drove to the next one up the road. They did nice food and real ale, what more can one ask for. After this we took the car back to the site and walked to Boot, this is right out of the site, past the Eskdale railway station at Boot and turned left further up the road, there are 2 more pubs here, we stopped at one for a pot of tea. From here we had a plan to walk over the tops to Wasdale, but the earlier food and pint had knocked us both out, so we walked up the path for a few miles and then turned back. The scenery is stunning and I couldn't recommend this area any more.

Date of Visit: September 2009 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Numenius 4 reviews from this member

Toilets regularly serviced and clean. You can see them being cleaned throughout the day. Dishwashing facilities the same (open air, but under cover)and plenty of hot water for dishwashing.

It's own private halt on the narrow gauge railway line - even if you don't go on it (though you must!), it is soo picturesque to have a site where a small steam train passes right by.

Good sensible rules - the site seems to attract quite sensible campers and we have never been bothered by any noise after 10pm as per the site rules.

Camp fires! How many sites allow that anymore? It may be unique.

A real benefit would be a good shop, we found you have to travel quite a way for supplies.

Lots for kids to do - adventure playground with rafts! Brilliant, we had to pull our daughter away!

Ice cream van makes appearances - we'd just come back from a long hot climb when it turned up! Lovely! :)

This is our favourite site ever!

Date of Visit: September 2009 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Chaffinch1977 3 reviews from this member

I received a recommendation from a friend to stay at this campsite. My wife has never camped before but I am a keen wild camper. I wanted to find a campsite that was 'wild enough' for my liking but was suitably 'civilised' as to not scare my wife off camping forever!

What we got was the best of both worlds.

We stayed 3 nights and got beautiful weather throughout. We stayed a Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. I recommend arriving early because it starts to get very busy and the good pitches taken after 5/6pm on Friday night. There is a large field with circular road that allows you close access to your pitch. My Tip: use a pitch in the middle of the field - Firmer Ground and less congested.

Each pitch has it's own fire pit made from a car wheel rim. Wood was available to buy each day for £3.50 for a big bag and £.50 for a small bag of kindling. As the nights in September can get a little chilly it was great for me and the wife to snuggle up next to our own fire and enjoy the stars!- Very Romantic.

Despite other reviews saying the wardens were obtrusive, I didn't find this at all. Yes, they were always close by, but it is a busy site and I felt it was all done to ensure you had a good time.

The shower blocks were basic but clean. They are cleaned 3 times per day. We showered at lunchtime to avoid the rush and just after they were cleaned and this worked well for us. Showers are £.50 for 4 minutes but so long as you were undressed, toilet bag out etc in advance this was plenty long enough to clean up and wash your hair. Hairdryer was free apparently.

Washing up areas outside the shower block were always clean and always had hot water. Washing machines and tumble dryers were available just outside the toilet block. A handy Freezer was also there to allow you to freeze your ice box cooler packs for free.

The local pub (5 minutes walk from the campsite) was very poor. It was dirty, over-priced and the smell of the place actually put us off eating or drinking anything. If you want nice pub or food, try the boot or woolpack in nearby villages as they were clean, had excellent local ales and had good wholesome food at reasonable prices.

The campsite also sits on a miniature railway line (it has it's own station adjacent to the campsite). We never went on it but nevertheless looked a good way to get to local villages close by and enjoy a pint.

The site enjoys fantastic 360o views unobstructed by buildings and the position of the campsite nestled below the local hills and escarpments is first class.

All in all our holiday was a complete success. My wife is hooked on camping. The only problem will be finding other sites that can live up to Fisherground! Enjoy.

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Emmo22 1 review from this member

Having been visiting Eskdale for the last 35 Years and camping at Fisherground for a lot of them I think I am well placed to write a review of this campsite. Eskdale, as a location, hasn't changed and is one of the finest valley's in lakeland. If you wish to get away from it all then this is the place to be.

The location is stunning with views to die for. The lack of artifical light means that the night sky, when free of cloud, is a wonder to behold. However cloud is frequent in this valley and is normally partnered by rain. But when it's dry sitting out on a night time round the camp fire (which is one of the main attractions to this place) I can think of no better place on earth to be.

But there are two sides to every coin or story. When is rains in Eskdale it hammers it down. Fisherground appears to have no drainage and pitches can quite quickly become water logged. You need to pitch away from the road and away from the small stream that runs around the site. Choose carefully if rain is forecast. Also don't take any notice of the warden (not the owner) who likes to lord it up over the campers while riding his quad bike barking orders at each and every one. We pitched our small tent in one of the driest spots on the campsite and were advised by the warden to pitch in a puddle.!

The cost's to camp here are also not straight forward. You get charged for your tent.Depending on size, charged for your car, yourselves, charged for your kids, dog, awning, gazeebo, tarp, how much air you breath etc.Etc. Oh and for taking a shower. If you take too long you're charged double. (an extra 50p).

However the toilet blocks are kept clean even during busy times and the water is hot with free toilet rolls, free hairdryers and handsoap.

The dish washing facilities are good with plenty of room.

Tumble dryers are charged for and do not dry wet clothes very well.

This year one of the wardens has been policing the site rather than the owner due to the owner breaking his leg. The quicker this heals and the warden gets back to cleaning the toilet block the better. Read some of the other reviews to see where I'm coming from. (needs to remember that campers are actually on holiday!)

The playground and the small pond are great for kids. My 5 year old loves it here and needs nothing else to keep him entertained.

The valley is served by a number of pubs all of which have their own plus and negative sides. The King George iv nearest to Fisherground has so much potential to be a fantastic pub but is unfortunately in the hands of a moron who seems intent on running it into the ground. However the Boot Inn further up the valley (10mins by car or 30 by foot) is well worth a visit. It is situated behind the Brook house Inn which should be avoided as the last two times we have eaten here we have ended up with dicky tummies. No good when you are tenting! The Bridge Inn at Stanton Bridge (20 mins by car) is also well worth a visit. Good food and good ale. But always busy.

In short I love the valley of Eskdale, I like Fisherground and will continue to camp there but all good things must come to an end and if the current owners keep employing nuggets on quad bikes for wardens and charging extra for this this and that. Then.???

Previous     211 Reviews in total, now showing 81 to 90      Next

Is Fisherground Campsite child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Fisherground Campsite?  There is a shop within 1 mile  View all facilities

Is Fisherground Campsite dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Eskdale      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cumbria

UKCS Meet Paws in the Park Kent 19/09 to 20/09