Visitor Reviews - Gibraltar Farm Camp Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Lancashire > Site Reviews

Gibraltar Farm Camp Site

Fishing <1 mile   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool <1 mile   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <1 mile   Cycle Hire   Golf <1 mile   Tennis
 Beach On Site   Watersports <1 mile   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Coastside Pitches   Public Transport   Dog Walk

Reviews:  211 in total, now showing 131 to 140                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22

Date of Visit: May 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Jarrcad 2 reviews from this member

This is my first visit to this site, I found the scenery and walks fantastic. Its a site I would sugest best used as an overnighter as the facilities are poor, the toilet block has only one shower in the mens and again in the womens to cater for all on the site (the owners could make two showers out of one in each of the toilets as there is plenty of room.)
With a little investment from the owners this could be a site that will do well. The gentle walk to silverdale across the fields following the shore is rewarded by the fantastic views across the bay. The silverdale hotel is a must to rehydrate, with great food to match.
The children loved the site, it was good to see no playstaion or gameboy in site, just kids playing on the rocks and as evening drew in they were using torches making it more exciting.
So owners, invest in the showers. 5/10 before I submit, you have to try the farms icecream. Make that 6/10

Date of Visit: May 2008 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Happy chappy 44 1 review from this member

We have just had a very enjoyable and relaxing weekend at this beautiful campsite which is run by a very friendly and helpful steward and his wife. Nothing is too much trouble and they are always on hand to help.

Although the toilet facilities are limited they are regularly cleaned and we never had any problem waiting for showers.

This campsite is perfect for families as you do not have to worry about children letting off steam, it may be noisier than other sites but this is usually down to people having a great time and relaxing which for us is the object of getting away from it all with our family. It makes a change from other sites we have visited were the children have been too worried about being told to be quiet to have a good time!

We would highly recommend a visit were you will find a very warm welcome, beautiful scenery and countryside and a place to relax and get away from it all with a wonderful woodland area which the children enjoyed many hours exploring.

Date of Visit: May 2008 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Te Camper100 4 reviews from this member

Just back from Gibralter Farm.As has been mentioned the facilities (toilets )are inadequate for the number of people that go on a Bank Holl or weekends as there were only 4 toilets & 1 shower,they even started queing to wash the pots. There must have been over 100 tents,caravans etc,& the facilities are at one end near to the regulars caravans there is nothing on site you cant even watch t.V. Unless you can get hold of a grade A ariel you can get no reception at all,the steward on site did have a couple spare which you can rent for your stay,there are shops in Silverdale village 15 mins walk away. The site is no good if you want peace & quiet although it is a pretty site,it cost 14 a night for two with electric & we had to put the awning up on the hardstanding which was stones,no good for a bedroom in the awning.

Date of Visit: May 2008 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Makie 7 reviews from this member

We have just returned from a visit to this site over a bank holiday weekend. The site facilities left a lot to be desired. The shower/toilet block was insufficient for the number of people on the site (20 minute queue for shower and to use the loo) and because of over use were dirty. The site was very noisy with large groups of kids/youths roaming completely unchecked by parents or staff. Many other site users had no regard for fellow visitors, on the last night of our stay a party took place in a caravan behind us that went on until 4am. None of the staff did anything to keep the noise down could it be because the site wardens family were attending the party.

In its favour the site is set in a lovely location the sunsets were spectacular, the pitch I had was good and level. The surrounding area enjoys exceptional natural beauty with the views over Morecambe Bay not to be missed.

All spoilt by an ignorant few and the owners cramming too many people onto the site for the facilities they have.

Date of Visit: July 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Scottie Chorton 10 reviews from this member

It has a nice location with great views, and you can do some good walks along the coast.

The beaches however can be treacherous in parts, some are often not safe to walk on. However the beach nearest the site is fine

We found the wardens to be less than friendly on our visit.

A few of our group arrived separately and on each occasion we were all greeted with a miserable welcome.

We got a complaining moan that a cheque was used to pay the fee.

Our friend went to check in and he said 'you should have checked in here before you joined the others', (she wanted to say hello to us for a few minutes before checking in)

Another got an angry 'put your dog on a lead!' (she'd literally just got out of her car after a 2 hour journey and the dog was still in the car!

Maybe they were just having a bad day as all the other reviews say they are normally friendly

(I must point out that we're not a rowdy bunch either!)

Because of this attitude we probably wouldn't go back

Date of Visit: September 2007 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Chrisworton 1 review from this member

We stayed at the site when there was a motorbike rally being held in one of the fields. What a fantastic experience! The biker folk were a very friendly lot and knew how to have a good time. Something going on for the whole 3 days almost around the clock.
This event did not affect the peace and tranquil atmosphere of the camp as there is a small woods between the rally field and campsite. I thought that maybe if there wasn't anything going on at the time that it could have been a bit boring.
You can take a trail through the woods and end up in a small cove with caves where the tide almost comes in to the edge of the woods. If you were to climb the small cliff face ( which was very easy to do, my wife did it in healed shoes) you then have a magnificent view out to sea. You will find a large sofa like bench made from huge stones facing out to sea were you can sit and relax. I will definitely be going back to this place again.

Date of Visit: October 2007 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Dizzycamper 3 reviews from this member

Visited site 4 times last year after recommendation. Lovely atmosphere. On setting up found water wouldnt work in our van but steward managed to set it all up for us while his wife made us coffee, what a nice welcome. They have several events throughout the year which I hear are very good but need to be booked in advance as we couldnt get on. Really nice friendly site which was very clean with shops/pubs close by.

Kids quite happy to explore the site, nothing - but everything for them to do. Only saw them when they wanted feeding Ice pops and cornettos for sale cheap from stewards awning which kept them happy. Have just booked for Easter and can't wait. To top the lot you can have a small fire outside your caravan, what better way to spend the evening. Roll on Easter, but will be back again and again and again.

Date of Visit: September 2007 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Mycocks 5 reviews from this member

Been to this site on 2 different occasions. Both times the scenery was amazing and the walks was great for the dogs. The site is spread into 3 fields which is nice and peaceful. The campsite backs onto a Woodlands which I do believe can be hired for 100 a night. The owner was friendly and helpful. The toilets and showers were limited but was ok for the weekend. Local is a pub in the town and an Italian Restaurant and a Co-op and not too far down the road is a large Tesco. Would recommend it to anyone that wants a peaceful break. The price wasn't bad to stay there either.

Date of Visit: September 2007 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Bentleyworld 1 review from this member

Turned up late, and following the clear and concise instructions from the Steward, Mike, on where to pitch, I started to set the caravan in place. It was very dark as we got there after 9pm (car trouble - yeah, we didn't get in it until 7.30pm - a little disorganised this trip).Mike slipped on the grass whilst helping me to traighten the caravan up, andhurt his leg - big bump. He just laughed it off, but I was concerned and saw a hefty bump no doubt followed by a hefty bruise. Neither as big as his generosity and willingness to help at a drop of a hat.

I make a living working with people; naughty ones, and so am quite skilled in judging a persons abilities, intentions and potential. Mike, the Steward, took me by surprise. He devoted enormous energy to make us and many many others to feel welcome, nah better than that, Cherished. I saw a generous, caring and driven family man with everyones well being at the foremost of his mind. I have only been home a couple of hours and can't wait to get back there. If you visit, get a load of the photo album - it will give you a solid taste of the quality of persons that frequent the site and the lengths that are gone to on your behalf to ensure your stay is a cherished memory.

This weekend, there must have been a few hundred people there, spreadoutover this really big site; all the electric hookups were taken up after we arrived, and despite the numbers, I was very at ease, and soaked up theGreat feel to the place, laughter and playing, an excellent ambiance.

The facilities were perfectly adequate,toilet shower block, washing up facilities and chemical and grey waste facilities. There is a little shop at the top of the hill, but if you didn't fancy the wander, or you were just sending the kids, they could buy a cornetto, can of popor ice pop from the Stewards van for a few pennies.

I do have one wish though, I put a lot of effort into recycling as much of my waste as possible, but the bin area was just a big metal mesh hopper full of bags of waste. With the high number of children there this weekend, it would be good to encourage them to recycle as much as possible I feel.

I had a regular turf pitch and it seemed well drained and firm under foot - you may be 30 or so feet away from electric on a rare occasion so if you haven't got a long lead cable it is best to mention this when booking a pitch - also, I can see that this place is very popular so booking should be recommended.

I knew this was a working farm, but I was not prepared to see cows on site; they were being taken up for milking by the farmer in his landrover and his sheep/cow dog doing all the running around.

We went into silverdale to the Royal Hotel for the carvery on Sunday, which was really good, 25 totalfor 2 adults and 2 children's platters, I had a plate of roast beef and my hearty appetite was satisfied. My wife had a mix of roast beef pork and turkey but wished she had stayed with the beef on reflection.Desserts were quite ordinary.A simple playground with slide, climbing frame and swing but enough to keep my three mobile children more than happy playing.

Finally, I was suitably impressed with the beautiful views and Saturday sunset at Gibraltar Farm - something to remember!

I think we may become regulars!

Date of Visit: September 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Lynles 20 reviews from this member

Well thank god for good friends otherwise we would have been going home.

The owner and the warden need to organise themselves much better I confirmed a tent with ehu. The morning of going to the site I rang to confirm whether or not we had ehu and was told we did. When we arrived we were told we did not have it. We did not have a single item to cook with blow airbeds up with as we had removed all of our gas as we were told we had ehu we had 3 very unhappy children as it looked like we would have to go home anyway thanks to kind people we managed to get a cooker and our airbeds pumped up for us all I can say is it is such a shame as this has put us off going back to this lovely place so beware when booking electric for a tent. I was also told you are not allowed electric heaters in tents??

Previous     211 Reviews in total, now showing 131 to 140      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -    All Sites in Lancashire   -   Search for a site

Three sets of AutoSock Car Snow Socks to be won Win Duvulay Luxury Sleeping Bags worth 560!

UKCS Meet Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show 17 to 20 Jan 2019, Event City
Huge choice of the latest model caravans, motorhomes and holiday homes on display from over 200 exhibitors ...more

UKCampsite.co.uk

24 Daily Prizes worth up to 369 each PLUS a Christmas Day Star Prize worth up to 780

Open Today's Window to reveal Today's Prize